Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Duke Tobin on draft
(04-26-2023, 06:57 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep, worth remembering. Tbh I thought KC were good value for more than a 'last second FG' win over us, but we were able to make the necessary plays to keep it close throughout . We've also done so in the 4 games across the past 2 years, like you've said. I don't think we should be moulding the team based around 'how to beat Mahomes'... we already know that if we play well, games against KC are likely just close ones that go either way. No need to reinvent the wheel here, we should focus on what makes us better at what we want to do, across the whole season.

If we’d played them minus Orlando and a few other lineman it’s a different story.

I get the scrutiny of KC & Philly and their recipe. If the Bengals have missed its drafting of OL. Both those teams have some top players at their OL position.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 09:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If we’d played them minus Orlando and a few other lineman it’s a different story.

I get the scrutiny of KC & Philly and their recipe. If the Bengals have missed its drafting of OL. Both those teams have some top players at their OL position.

This, KC has 2 very solid oline players that we passed on in the 2021 draft.

We chose Carmen instead of pro bowler Creed Humphrey and 6th Rounder Trey Smith who was fantastic in the SEC, with a med question.  Smith played 3 hours away at Tennessee, we couldn't get good info on him?  He played 2 seasons after being diagnosed

We must stop sucking at the drafting of oline.  Hopefully Cordell takes a big step and begins a better streak.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 10:47 AM)casear2727 Wrote: This, KC has 2 very solid oline players that we passed on in the 2021 draft.

We chose Carmen instead of pro bowler Creed Humphrey and 6th Rounder Trey Smith who was fantastic in the SEC, with a med question.  Smith played 3 hours away at Tennessee, we couldn't get good info on him?  He played 2 seasons after being diagnosed

We must stop sucking at the drafting of oline.  Hopefully Cordell takes a big step and begins a better streak.

If they draft Creed Humphrey instead of Carman, bengals win the superbowl

But if ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we’d all have a merry christmas

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 09:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If we’d played them minus Orlando and a few other lineman it’s a different story.

Absolutely. It couldn't be more crystal clear the necessity for a capable OL. We could very realistically be double Super Bowl defending champs with a passable OL. I don't think the Bengals need to change what they're doing in terms of 'beating Mahomes' or whoever. We're already as capable as anybody, and we've proven we can beat the current strongest franchise in the NFL. Focus on solving our own deficiencies, which tbf the FO are clearly trying to do.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 06:57 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep, worth remembering. Tbh I thought KC were good value for more than a 'last second FG' win over us, but we were able to make the necessary plays to keep it close throughout. We've also done so in the 4 games across the past 2 years, like you've said. I don't think we should be moulding the team based around 'how to beat Mahomes'... we already know that if we play well, games against KC are likely just close ones that go either way. No need to reinvent the wheel here, we should focus on what makes us better at what we want to do, across the whole season.

No reinvent the wheel but if one of the top RB's drop to #28, they could help right now beat the elite teams we will face.  We need a much improved pass rush, the fact we lost both Bates III and Von Bell is a weakness so the need to juice the rush is urgent.  Plus nothing wrong with adding a new weapon for Burrow, give KC something new to worry about. A fast big TE will do that.  Imagine the Bengals with a Kelcie type TE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 10:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: KC is 1-3 vs Burrow. They beat us on a uncharacteristic punt return, a personal foul on a scramble. The regular season game we gave up no sacks to Joe. The injury riddled OL did struggle. KC barely beat us. We were 3-1 vs KC and Buffalo and had the second best winning steak of 10 games.

True, we actually have had their number, they needed to win one lol

(04-26-2023, 06:57 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep, worth remembering. Tbh I thought KC were good value for more than a 'last second FG' win over us, but we were able to make the necessary plays to keep it close throughout. We've also done so in the 4 games across the past 2 years, like you've said. I don't think we should be moulding the team based around 'how to beat Mahomes'... we already know that if we play well, games against KC are likely just close ones that go either way. No need to reinvent the wheel here, we should focus on what makes us better at what we want to do, across the whole season.

There are lots of ways to make us better and give the Chiefs even more problems when we play them. I think the OL will be better 
this season, we have invested a ton into the OL. Need to shore up RT and the depth and we are all good here. A player like Jahmyr
Gibbs honestly could make playing our Offense very undesirable, you get a dangerous, explosive RB that can catch the ball out of 
the backfield and add it to this Offense and that brings us to another level.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 03:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way I feel and that is why Forbes could fall to us, we don't need him to start this year, he would be future insurance 
and could be a great Corner in the NFL. I can never argue against taking a Corner early in the Draft, great investment.

I do like Ringo as a tackler. I just don't like that he plays way too aggressive, kind of similar to CTB coming out.

CTB got this out of his game though, so it is possible for Ringo to do the same and he is really young.

Yes, excited to see our Safeties this year, namely Dax. I think he can grow into one of the best in the league.

He CAN cover, he is just overly aggressive at times and it bites his team in the ass.

That is a big deal covering Quentin Johnston that well and that gives me a good feeling if we do take Ringo.

I think Dax can be better than Bates, especially as a tackler. Bates wasn't great early in the season last year either.

He was playing not to get hurt and I didn't like it.
I assume,  always dangerous, the Bengals are focused on beating Mahomes in 2023 and beyond.  What draft picks help do that in 2023?  There aren't many players at 28 that step in and play right now and be difference makers.  TE or RB are two that could and would pay dividends for years.  There are those players in abundance at 28, so there might be their flavor waiting to be selected and flip that 3 point loss to a win.  At #28 a cover corner or DE/DT likely would sit in 2023, then hopefully be starters in 2024 and play well enough to take down Mahomes.  WR would be great for 2024, not so much this year.  OT or OG likely sits in 2023 and might be backups in 2024.  So the case is there for a TE or RB for extra juice right now, then use later rounds to flesh out Dline and secondary.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 10:19 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I assume,  always dangerous, the Bengals are focused on beating Mahomes in 2023 and beyond.  What draft picks help do that in 2023?  There aren't many players at 28 that step in and play right now and be difference makers.  TE or RB are two that could and would pay dividends for years.  There are those players in abundance at 28, so there might be their flavor waiting to be selected and flip that 3 point loss to a win.  At #28 a cover corner or DE/DT likely would sit in 2023, then hopefully be starters in 2024 and play well enough to take down Mahomes.  WR would be great for 2024, not so much this year.  OT or OG likely sits in 2023 and might be backups in 2024.  So the case is there for a TE or RB for extra juice right now, then use later rounds to flesh out Dline and secondary.

Jahmyr Gibbs would force them out of playing 2 high with their Safeties. This would hurt the Chiefs big time. Hope he is the pick tonight.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jahmyr Gibbs would force them out of playing 2 high with their Safeties. This would hurt the Chiefs big time. Hope he is the pick tonight.

The Bengals excel at the long ball, not so much the short ball. They should look to fix that this weekend. Gibbs helps right away. FA running backs aren’t very productive so the draft is where we get them. Can always get another 1 year TE next season if they miss in this draft. In rnd 2 & 3 can still get CB and DT.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 09:36 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I fully realize why the Bengals got beat. Mahomes had too much time to pass and Burrow didn’t.  I’d love to get a lock down corner at #28 or a disruptive linemen on defense. My point is they probably won’t contribute much this season short of injury. Oline has had vast money spent on it, can’t keep doing it. At best a backup is drafted on day 3. Who could contribute to beating Mahomes right now as a starter? Possible a TE or RB. Kelcie was a big weapon when Mahomes had Hill. Depends upon who falls, cuz likely somebody the Bengals really like will fall.

I think that's the wrong way to look at it.  We don't need to get better with our starters.  IF everyone is healthy, this team doesn't lose very often.

Where we need to get better is in the sub packages.  3rd down offense and 3rd down defense.  Who could immediately help us there?

1.  Gibbs
2.  Kincaid, Mayer, LaPorta, any pass catching TE
3.  Interior pass rusher
4.  Edge rusher
5.  DB

All of those guys/positions would be valuable for 10-15 snaps per game and would make a huge impact.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think that's the wrong way to look at it.  We don't need to get better with our starters.  IF everyone is healthy, this team doesn't lose very often.

Where we need to get better is in the sub packages.  3rd down offense and 3rd down defense.  Who could immediately help us there?

1.  Gibbs
2.  Kincaid, Mayer, LaPorta, any pass catching TE
3.  Interior pass rusher
4.  Edge rusher
5.  DB

All of those guys/positions would be valuable for 10-15 snaps per game and would make a huge impact.

From different assumptions we arrive at very similar conclusions. Gibbs would be very nice.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:58 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: The Bengals excel at the long ball, not so much the short ball. They should look to fix that this weekend. Gibbs helps right away. FA running backs aren’t very productive so the draft is where we get them. Can always get another 1 year TE next season if they miss in this draft. In rnd 2 & 3 can still get CB and DT.

Damn Lions once again. Whatever
Reply/Quote
They did exactly what Tobin said they would do and that was draft the BPA. Most would not have predicted Murphy to be available for the Bengals and it did not appear that they have to deliberate very long to make the selection. You can never have too many pass rushers and or top tier defensive ends. I have seen people mentioning the Bengals having Ossai as a pass rusher and that would be correct however he is a rusher. Murphy is a defensive end that can spell our top two in any down or distance and produce at a high level. Hendrickson and Hubbard played far too many snaps last season and it showed down the stretch. Great teams have great depth!
Reply/Quote