Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duke's thoughts of maybe Trading TEE could be PEAKING at the Combine
(02-29-2024, 05:17 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Horses mouth will be Duke and what the Bengals actually do.

I heard many Posters say that TEE would never get Tagged but he did get Tagged.

Certain Posters have concluded a ZERO to near ZERO Trade chance for TEE. (They may be right)

I (and maybe some others or not) give it up to a 25% chance of happening.

More likely not to happen, I agree, but it will become ZERO for me later when and if no Trade happens.

It more than likely will become ZERO but I won't be leaning on Posters opinions on the matter now.

I will wait and see.

If TEE were to get Traded would those Posting that it would never happen make any Posts about being wrong ?

Is it really the best decision for the Bengals to keep TEE should they get a decent offer ?

I guess I wait to see a SLAM DUNK before declaring it a SLAM DUNK. 

Yeah, lots I am sure were saying zero chance we get Orlando Brown Jr last year as well.

I will keep open minded myself.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, lots I am sure were saying zero chance we get Orlando Brown Jr last year as well.

I will keep open minded myself.

I respect each Poster that has said firmly that TEE won't be Traded.

Each one of them knows a great deal about the Bengals.

I just see this as sort of a Teeter Totter type of decision regarding Trading TEE (what they could get for him plus the Money saved)

*I would be Stewing on it if I were Duke but maybe he has a Firm decision right now NOT to Trade TEE.

I just know that I would Teeter Totter on it right now at the Combine if it were me, especially if Teams were approaching me with Picks.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: I respect each Poster that has said firmly that TEE won't be Traded.

Each one of them knows a great deal about the Bengals.

I just see this as sort of a Teeter Totter type of decision regarding Trading TEE (what they could get for him plus the Money saved)

*I would be Stewing on it if I were Duke but maybe he has a Firm decision right now NOT to Trade TEE.

I just know that I would Teeter Totter on it right now at the Combine if it were me, especially if Teams were approaching me with Picks.

And especially with Tee's agent who sounds about impossible to work with. Nothing against Tee, but it probably would be in our best interest 
to add another pick or a player rather than paying all that money to Tee this year who might not even stay healthy. Have to go off of history 
here and Tee is banged up a lot and has a history of pulling his hamstrings now. These injuries tend to reoccur. 
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 04:33 PM)depthchart Wrote: 1. So the 17 Teams picking ahead of the Bengals have enough rookie #1 options not to want TEE even when some Teams may 

see TEE as a better #1 option than the rookie available when they pick -and-

2. if the Bengals Trade TEE for a lower 1st round pick they will be competing against those lower Teams for receivers, so why do it.

*1. I agree that it would be harder to get a 1st round pick higher than the Bengals pick #18 but just where would 1st round pick interest in TEE 

end (does interest end at pick #22 or pick #16) and swapping first round picks while also getting later picks would be possible if a Team likes 

TEE more as a #1 option than the rookies available when they pick.

*2. Once the Bengals get a later 1st round pick for TEE they could still use their own pick #18 to take a receiver and end the "competition"

to get a 1st round receiver with all of the Teams picking after pick #18. 

(Then the Bengals could use the late 1st round pick they got for TEE on another position)

(or they could use pick #18 at another position and then use the later round one pick on a receiver since all they need is a #2 receiver, not a #1)

*I just don't see it as wise to assume options off the table*

Plus the Bengals would have Tee's $20 million to spend on a "proven" FA that everybody is saying the Bengals covet so much. A trade gets both a extra pick and a big FA with  Tee's tag money alone. Still would have the rest of there extra cap money and the added $30 million to spend as well. 

Those that think trading him takes the Bengals out of being a SB contender are just not opening their eyes. Both ways can work, sign or trade. The Bengals can get a very good player for $21 million without question and have an extra late 1st or early 2nd round pick.  

The only thing that will prevent Bengals from being a SB contender is if a tagged unhappy Tee shows up and tries to play safe and not get hurt. 

To me it is simple, sign him or trade him. Holding him hostage is not the right move, holding him hostage a 2nd year is even crueler to him.  We've already seen this with Green and Bates when they just played not to get hurt and mailed it in, and who could blame them for not going all in for a team about to discard them ? 

Tee deserves much better than that anyway.  Don't get why so many are siding with the elite rich over the employee getting what he deserves in his very small window of opportunity called an NFL career. He deserves his longterm contract and the only real question should be is it from the Bengals or not. 

Either the Bengals can afford him or not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tee wants to be here (unlike Bates) and his teammates want him here.
Bengals saw what happened when they lost two safeties in one year; they don't want to repeat that experience at WR.
No one is happy if Tee has another down year, and yet absent major injury (Tee's not a speed guy) his price will still be high next year.
If Tee isn't interested in a 3-4 yr. deal for <$25M@ with him turning 28/29 for his next free agency, I see this as his last year here.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 05:17 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Horses mouth will be Duke and what the Bengals actually do.

I heard many Posters say that TEE would never get Tagged but he did get Tagged.

Certain Posters have concluded a ZERO to near ZERO Trade chance for TEE. (They may be right)

I (and maybe some others or not) give it up to a 25% chance of happening.

More likely not to happen, I agree, but it will become ZERO for me later when and if no Trade happens.

It more than likely will become ZERO but I won't be leaning on Posters opinions on the matter now.

I will wait and see.

If TEE were to get Traded would those Posting that it would never happen make any Posts about being wrong ?

Is it really the best decision for the Bengals to keep TEE should they get a decent offer ?

I guess I wait to see a SLAM DUNK before declaring it a SLAM DUNK. 

Vegas has built an empire on people betting slam dunks that never happened. Plus the only reason this talk is alive is because he was tagged in lieu of being signed, which was what everybody expected, including Tee.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Plus the Bengals would have Tee's $20 million to spend on a "proven" FA that everybody is saying the Bengals covet so much. A trade gets both a extra pick and a big FA with  Tee's tag money alone. Still would have the rest of there extra cap money and the added $30 million to spend as well. 

Those that think trading him takes the Bengals out of being a SB contender are just not opening their eyes. Both ways can work, sign or trade. The Bengals can get a very good player for $21 million without question and have an extra late 1st or early 2nd round pick.  

The only thing that will prevent Bengals from being a SB contender is if a tagged unhappy Tee shows up and tries to play safe and not get hurt. 

To me it is simple, sign him or trade him. Holding him hostage is not the right move, holding him hostage a 2nd year is even crueler to him.  We've already seen this with Green and Bates when they just played not to get hurt and mailed it in, and who could blame them for not going all in for a team about to discard them ? 

Tee deserves much better than that anyway.  Don't get why so many are siding with the elite rich over the employee getting what he deserves in his very small window of opportunity called an NFL career. He deserves his longterm contract and the only real question should be is it from the Bengals or not. 

Nailed it. Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Those that think trading him takes the Bengals out of being a SB contender are just not opening their eyes. Both ways can work, sign or trade. The Bengals can get a very good player for $21 million without question and have an extra late 1st or early 2nd round pick.  

I agree that either sign or trade can work as it relates to 2024 Super Bowl contention.

I also agree with some earlier statements that you have made about how TEE could be unhappy if Forced to play on the Tag

and how him possibly being unhappy on the Tag could then hamper a Super Bowl run.

Before making this somewhat controversial Thread, I had been thinking in terms of Percentages like this about TEE's future.

50% chance TEE gets forced to play for the Bengals in 2024 under the Tag

25% chance TEE gets signed Longer Term by the Bengals

25% chance TEE gets Traded and plays the 2024 Season for another Team

*I never stewed over the percentages but maybe a 2024 Super Bowl contention can be in play with any of the above 3 TEE outcomes. 

Just wonder which of the 3 would really be best for 2024 and then best for 2025, 2026 etc.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone think the FO has learned its lesson with the Bates ordeal?

I have zero confidence they have..
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 09:26 PM)GodFather Wrote: Does anyone think the FO has learned its lesson with the Bates ordeal?

I have zero confidence they have..

The team calculated that move with the thoughts of drafting in advance.(full disclosure, I was over the top pissed off that they allowed both Bates and Bell to walk in the same offseason)  The process of development takes a few years.  Bates did not become a household name as a rookie, or even as a second year guy.  Your "zero confidence" rating really means jack shit.  The team invested high picks in both Hill and Battle, they will become what we had gotten used to.  If not, Coach Lou is a secondary coach at his core, and he will pick someone that will make up the difference. There are plenty of good Safeties in this year's draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 09:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The team calculated that move with the thoughts of drafting in advance.(full disclosure, I was over the top pissed off that they allowed both Bates and Bell to walk in the same offseason)  The process of development takes a few years.  Bates did not become a household name as a rookie, or even as a second year guy.  Your "zero confidence" rating really means jack shit.  The team invested high picks in both Hill and Battle, they will become what we had gotten used to.  If not, Coach Lou is a secondary coach at his core, and he will pick someone that will make up the difference. There are plenty of good Safeties in this year's draft.

I like Jaden Hicks and Kitan Oladapo in early day 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 09:54 PM)pulses Wrote: I like Jaden Hicks and Kitan Oladapo in early day 3.

Or even Kitchens, who had 10 INTs the past two seasons.  There's your deep Safety to allow Hill to transition to Nickle CB.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or even Kitchens, who had 10 INTs the past two seasons.  There's your deep Safety to allow Hill to transition to Nickle CB.

Yeah I like Kinchens too. I think people forget we have Tycen ANderson coming back as well. If that dude can stay healthy he is gonna help this defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 06:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Plus the Bengals would have Tee's $20 million to spend on a "proven" FA that everybody is saying the Bengals covet so much. A trade gets both a extra pick and a big FA with  Tee's tag money alone. Still would have the rest of there extra cap money and the added $30 million to spend as well. 

Rolling in 20 million for the year doesn't seem like siding with the rich to me. Yeah he could suffer catastrophic injury on the tag, but he more than likely won't. Tee Higgins has never made close to that figure and it sets him for life... Well it sets a wise man up for life.

Then people turn around and call Tee's agent a jerk or punk because he goes hard for his client. To me that's siding with the ultra rich owners.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: Rolling in 20 million for the year doesn't seem like siding with the rich to me. Yeah he could suffer catastrophic injury on the tag, but he more than likely won't. Tee Higgins has never made close to that figure and it sets him for life... Well it sets a wise man up for life.

Then people turn around and call Tee's agent a jerk or punk because he goes hard for his client. To me that's siding with the ultra rich owners.

Yeah, you want to help Tee's agent establish the WR2 market as starting at $20M?  He likely won't suffer a catastrophic injury, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have another hamstring pop up at a crucial point in the season.  Just let him go, and test the waters as a true WR1, because that's what he and his agent feel he is worth.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, you want to help Tee's agent establish the WR2 market as starting at $20M?  He likely won't suffer a catastrophic injury, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have another hamstring pop up at a crucial point in the season.  Just let him go, and test the waters as a true WR1, because that's what he and his agent feel he is worth.

Tag and trade and move on. Ship him to the Giants for a 2nd and WR Darius Slayton.....done deal ( and before some of you laugh go check out Slayton's stats playing with a shitty QB and what he would do here with Burrow)...and oh by the way he averages a hair more per catch than Higgins and he's making 7 or 8 mill and he's only 27 go figure a good replacement for a 1/3 of what Tee wants Ninja And use the extra pick to draft a WR this year to be ready for next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:58 PM)pulses Wrote: Tag and trade and move on. Ship him to the Giants for a 2nd and WR Darius Slayton.....done deal ( and before some of you laugh go check out Slayton's stats playing with a shitty QB and what he would do here with Burrow)...and oh by the way he averages a hair more per catch than Higgins and he's making 7 or 8 mill and he's only 27 go figure a good replacement for a 1/3 of what Tee wants Ninja And use the extra pick to draft a WR this year to be ready for next year.

so the Giants are gonna pay more and give up a 2nd for a guy who averages a hair less than Slayton per catch?

is this what you proposed?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:58 PM)pulses Wrote: Tag and trade and move on. Ship him to the Giants for a 2nd and WR Darius Slayton.....done deal ( and before some of you laugh go check out Slayton's stats playing with a shitty QB and what he would do here with Burrow)...and oh by the way he averages a hair more per catch than Higgins and he's making 7 or 8 mill and he's only 27 go figure a good replacement for a 1/3 of what Tee wants Ninja And use the extra pick to draft a WR this year to be ready for next year.

Most around here won't agree with your assessment, but I think that something like that would make perfect sense.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: Rolling in 20 million for the year doesn't seem like siding with the rich to me. Yeah he could suffer catastrophic injury on the tag, but he more than likely won't. Tee Higgins has never made close to that figure and it sets him for life... Well it sets a wise man up for life.

One would think the 8.6 million he has already made would set a wise man up for life.

(02-29-2024, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: ...Then people turn around and call Tee's agent a jerk or punk because he goes hard for his client. To me that's siding with the ultra rich owners.

The owners work with the cap they are given.  The more you pay one person means the less you can pay someone else.  That money all comes out of a finite cap amount.  If they dont have to pay Higgins that 22 million, they can use that money on someone else.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No way is he getting tagged 2x

Why?

21 mil this year
120% raise for tagging twice in a row
25 mil next
=46 mil rough estimate

DK metcalf cap hits next two years
= Tee would be cheaper even with consecutive franchise tags
Reply/Quote