Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duke's thoughts of maybe Trading TEE could be PEAKING at the Combine
(02-29-2024, 10:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, you want to help Tee's agent establish the WR2 market as starting at $20M?  He likely won't suffer a catastrophic injury, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have another hamstring pop up at a crucial point in the season.  Just let him go, and test the waters as a true WR1, because that's what he and his agent feel he is worth.
When you say let go? Do you mean resend the franchise Tag and let him be a free agent or Trade him?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 11:26 PM)J24 Wrote: When you say let go? Do you mean resend the franchise Tag and let him be a free agent or Trade him?

I mean non-exclusive, where other teams are able to make offers and the Bengals have the option to match or receive draft picks as compensation.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 11:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I mean non-exclusive, where other teams are able to make offers and the Bengals have the option to match or receive draft picks as compensation.

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 11:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Why?

21 mil this year
120% raise for tagging twice in a row
25 mil next
=46 mil rough estimate

DK metcalf cap hits next two years
= Tee would be cheaper even with consecutive franchise tags

Tee should be cheaper.  He is not as good as Metcalf.   DK Metcalf this year had 1114 yards averaging 16.7 per catch with 8 TDs.  Tee Higgins had 656 yards a 15.6 average with 5 TDs.   In the 4 seasons Higgins has been in the league, he has only had one season where he had more yards or TDs than Metcalf.  Over this 4 year period Higgins has been in the league, Metcalf has scored 36 TDs while Higgins has scored 24.  Metcalf has put up 4432 yards while Higgins has put up 3684.  Higgins is not in Metcalf's class so Im not sure why anyone would compare a top 10 WRs pay to someone that is not a top 10 WR.

Also Tee's tag this year will cost  21.81 million which puts a second tag a little over 26 million next year which is about 2 million more than you posted.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:25 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Tee should be cheaper.  He is not as good as Metcalf.   

Higgins is not in Metcalf's class so Im not sure why anyone would compare a top 10 WRs pay to someone that is not a top 10 WR.

Because Metcalf signed his contract 2 years ago, the salary cap has risen ~22.5% since then, and the contract numbers always go up.

In 2020 Mahomes signed for $45m/yr to be the highest paid player in the NFL by a huge margin. In 2022 he was the 5th highest paid player in the NFL. Didn't mean Mahomes was the 5th best QB in the league and that the guys who got paid more than him were better than him. The contract numbers just always go up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 10:11 PM)jason Wrote: Rolling in 20 million for the year doesn't seem like siding with the rich to me. Yeah he could suffer catastrophic injury on the tag, but he more than likely won't. Tee Higgins has never made close to that figure and it sets him for life... Well it sets a wise man up for life.

Then people turn around and call Tee's agent a jerk or punk because he goes hard for his client. To me that's siding with the ultra rich owners.

$20 million is a boatload of cash. But not for an NFL star that only has few year window to get their money. By giving him $20 million dollars for a year and blocking his $100 million dollar contract which will not only set a wise man up for life, it will set generations of his family up for life. Plus to add insult to him, Chase will probably receive his longterm contract this year while Tee does not. A player drafted after you gets his cake while you only get a slice. That should sit real well. 

More than likely he won't suffer a catastrophic injury but that does not change the fact that there is a chance. It could even be a car wreck that was a drunks fault and none of his own, or anything. 

If I told you that you could have $20 million for 1 year, or $100 million over 4 years now, but you could stay pat now for one year with your life as is and still get the $100 a year later if your production does not drop at work and are you're physically in the same shape next year. Are you willing to gamble the $80 million sure thing extra to keep the band together. Must remember if not signed the team will kick you to the curb after a year and is only using you with no loyalty for you for $5 million less a year and no longterm commitment. 

Agree that siding with with greedy agents is is going against the employee. At that time it becomes business though and you have to decide if the agent is breaking the bank and causing catastrophic damage to the team by making it suffer elsewhere. It is a very fine line and why we all have different opinions and sparks debate.

As I've said before, the only question to me is, can the Bengals sign or not ? If not move him and get some kind of return and insure he does not go to a division rival. 

If the Bengals decide to use him as a rental, it will be a lot tougher to replace him without the extra draft pick next year

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Tee won't be dealt, no one is giving up the pick to make it worthwhile.
Reply/Quote

21 mil this year
25 mil next
=46 mil rough estimate

to much for a #2 Wr
Reply/Quote

21 mil this year
25 mil next
=46 mil rough estimate

If the fallback Plan was to Tag Tee twice (and have TEE at least somewhat upset the 1st time tagged & then likely very upset the 2nd time)

then the Bengals would probably be better off just working out say a 3 year deal now if TEE & his Agent are reasonable about it rather than

going the Tag twice route.

*Then there is a potential fallback Plan of Tag TEE once & force TEE to play only in 2024 (with the Option of Trading him before the 2024 season)

**Or the Bengals are confident that they can get TEE signed longer term (say 3 years) and that is the actual Plan if TEE & his Agent can agree.

The Bengals should have a good idea of what TEE & his Agent want longer term & just how far apart they are. (This part is KEY)

If it seems too far apart, then do you Force TEE to play in 2024 or entertain Trade offers.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2024, 03:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: No way is he getting tagged 2x

It depends. His agent supposedly wants around $25-26 million a year AAV.

The tag amount next year could be around $26 million.

But, I tend to think they'd trade him rather than tag him twice, then lose him for little.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 09:27 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: Tee won't be dealt, no one is giving up the pick to make it worthwhile.

There were some anonymous front office sources cited in an article that thought several teams might offer 1st or 2nd Round picks.

What people don't consider is draft picks are cheaper, but risky. We could take a 1st Round WR and end up with John Ross instead of Chase. It's a risk.

But, Tee is also injured occasionally. So there's risk from that side for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 09:27 AM)IcoHolic Wrote: Tee won't be dealt, no one is giving up the pick to make it worthwhile.

all it takes is ones teams #1 WR getting hurt in camp
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There were some anonymous front office sources cited in an article that thought several teams might offer 1st or 2nd Round picks.

What people don't consider is draft picks are cheaper, but risky. We could take a 1st Round WR and end up with John Ross instead of Chase. It's a risk.

But, Tee is also injured occasionally. So there's risk from that side for the Bengals.

You have to take calculated risks in order to win Championships. What the FO shouldn't do is dumb shit; letting Tee go for nothing would be some high level dumb shit!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It depends. His agent supposedly wants around $25-26 million a year AAV.

The tag amount next year could be around $26 million.

But, I tend to think they'd trade him rather than tag him twice, then lose him for little.

Tee would be guaranteed to make over 26 million next year if tagged again.  The NFL has a rule that if you tag a player twice, the second year is at 120% of the first tag.  Since the WR tag this year is 21.816 million.  Tee would make at least 26.179 million next year.

If the Bengals really though Tee was worth over 26 million, why wouldnt they just sign him to a long term contract for the 26 million a year?  Thats what I dont understand about some saying the Bengals would/could tag him again next season.  If they planned on paying him at 26 million wouldnt the Bengals have already signed him to a contract at 26 million?   That makes no sense to me.  Tee wants 25-26 million but the Bengals dont want to sign him at that price but they will turn around next year and pay him the 26 million they could have signed him on a long term contract to begin with?

I tend to agree, I think they would trade Tee instead of tagging him twice or else they would have already signed him to a contract at the 26 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 12:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: all it takes is ones teams #1 WR getting hurt in camp

If camps have opened up, you just need to keep Tee. I would not trade him for 2025 draft picks. A trade needs to happen before the draft so we can get 2024 draft picks to help the team this season.

Ideally before the first week or two of FA is past, so we could use that $22m on some FA to help the 2024 team.

Reply/Quote
There are just so many obstacles to a trade. I’ve been adamant they aren’t. Of course if a situation fell in their lap like Orlando Brown Jr last year they’d jump on it. Meaning a deal they couldn’t refuse. But the obstacles… we aren’t trading him to an AFC contender. We aren’t doing him wrong by sending him to a horrible team. We are going to demand way too much. In most cases we want a better pick but that’s not happening. I’m afraid a few of you are just getting your hopes up. We tagged him. Both sides are hoping one budges. But the process is just starting.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 02:56 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Tee would be guaranteed to make over 26 million next year if tagged again.  The NFL has a rule that if you tag a player twice, the second year is at 120% of the first tag.  Since the WR tag this year is 21.816 million.  Tee would make at least 26.179 million next year.

If the Bengals really though Tee was worth over 26 million, why wouldnt they just sign him to a long term contract for the 26 million a year?  Thats what I dont understand about some saying the Bengals would/could tag him again next season.  If they planned on paying him at 26 million wouldnt the Bengals have already signed him to a contract at 26 million?   That makes no sense to me.  Tee wants 25-26 million but the Bengals dont want to sign him at that price but they will turn around next year and pay him the 26 million they could have signed him on a long term contract to begin with?

I tend to agree, I think they would trade Tee instead of tagging him twice or else they would have already signed him to a contract at the 26 million.

It's not about the average per year. It's about the guaranteed money.  The Bengals do not guarantee contracts beyond the 1st year unless your name is Joe Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 02:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If camps have opened up, you just need to keep Tee. I would not trade him for 2025 draft picks. A trade needs to happen before the draft so we can get 2024 draft picks to help the team this season.

Ideally before the first week or two of FA is past, so we could use that $22m on some FA to help the 2024 team.

This. 

First off, Tee is not gonna get traded. 

But if a trade were to happen, is HAS to be pre-draft. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 01:01 PM)J24 Wrote: You have to take calculated risks in order to win Championships. What the FO shouldn't do is dumb shit; letting Tee go for nothing would be some high level dumb shit!

Maybe I'm living in the past, but wouldn't it be standard Bengals FO to tag him this year and then lose him in FA next year and say we'd love to keep him but we can't if other teams are going to give him #1 money so we'll just see what sort of comp pick rolls in?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2024, 01:01 PM)J24 Wrote: You have to take calculated risks in order to win Championships. What the FO shouldn't do is dumb shit; letting Tee go for nothing would be some high level dumb shit!

Which is why the Bengals should have traded Tee LAST offseason when his value was at it's peak and it was already clear they were nowhere close on a contract and weren't going to get close on a contract.

This is not hindsight. I was pretty vocal about this last offseason. Tee's agent Mulugheta was going to be an issue for the Bengals as far as guaranteed money goes and Tee wasn't going to ever take the mythical team-friendly discount to keep the trio together. Just like Burrow was never going to, just like Chase won't.

We would be in far better shape if we had Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison, or Sam LaPorta under rookie contract for 4 more years... and $22m more in cap space.

Reply/Quote