Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Duke's thoughts of maybe Trading TEE could be PEAKING at the Combine
(03-02-2024, 04:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which is why the Bengals should have traded Tee LAST offseason when his value was at it's peak and it was already clear they were nowhere close on a contract and weren't going to get close on a contract.

This is not hindsight. I was pretty vocal about this last offseason. Tee's agent Mulugheta was going to be an issue for the Bengals as far as guaranteed money goes and Tee wasn't going to ever take the mythical team-friendly discount to keep the trio together. Just like Burrow was never going to, just like Chase won't.

We would be in far better shape if we had Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison, or Sam LaPorta under rookie contract for 4 more years... and $22m more in cap space.

That’s solid thinking but…. I’m not sure they knew all that last off season. Look at QB. If I were an agent I’m waiting until closer to time relevancy to see the going rate.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 04:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Which is why the Bengals should have traded Tee LAST offseason when his value was at it's peak and it was already clear they were nowhere close on a contract and weren't going to get close on a contract.

This is not hindsight. I was pretty vocal about this last offseason. Tee's agent Mulugheta was going to be an issue for the Bengals as far as guaranteed money goes and Tee wasn't going to ever take the mythical team-friendly discount to keep the trio together. Just like Burrow was never going to, just like Chase won't.

We would be in far better shape if we had Zay Flowers, Jordan Addison, or Sam LaPorta under rookie contract for 4 more years... and $22m more in cap space.
His value is just as high this offseason as it was last season. He's a top 15 Wr,at 25 years old, and if the Bengals were to trade him they would get good value in return.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 02:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm living in the past, but wouldn't it be standard Bengals FO to tag him this year and then lose him in FA next year and say we'd love to keep him but we can't if other teams are going to give him #1 money so we'll just see what sort of comp pick rolls in?

That's my worry! The front office likes to stay in their comfort zone and not leave it.
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 05:26 PM)J24 Wrote: His value is just as high this offseason as it was last season. He's a top 15 Wr,at 25 years old, and if the Bengals were to trade him they would get good value in return.

No, his value is not at all nearly as high as it was a year ago.  Last year at this time he was coming off of back to back 1,000 yd seasons, with a full season of cheap pay left.  Now, he's coming off a very subpar season, one in which he sustained a couple of injuries, plus put several drops on film that weren't there previously.  Now it's contract time and he and his agent want him to be paid like a WR1, despite when he was WR1 as a rookie he had some nice grabs but lacked in TDs and breakaway catch and runs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 05:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, his value is not at all nearly as high as it was a year ago.  Last year at this time he was coming off of back to back 1,000 yd seasons, with a full season of cheap pay left.  Now, he's coming off a very subpar season, one in which he sustained a couple of injuries, plus put several drops on film that weren't there previously.  Now it's contract time and he and his agent want him to be paid like a WR1, despite when he was WR1 as a rookie he had some nice grabs but lacked in TDs and breakaway catch and runs.
I love Tee but he's always gonna be a WR2 IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 05:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, his value is not at all nearly as high as it was a year ago.  Last year at this time he was coming off of back to back 1,000 yd seasons, with a full season of cheap pay left.  Now, he's coming off a very subpar season, one in which he sustained a couple of injuries, plus put several drops on film that weren't there previously.  Now it's contract time and he and his agent want him to be paid like a WR1, despite when he was WR1 as a rookie he had some nice grabs but lacked in TDs and breakaway catch and runs.

Do you honestly think that Tee forgot how to play football at an elite level? He'll if you go back to the Steelers and Vikings game you would see that he's still the same old Tee!
J24

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 07:19 PM)J24 Wrote: Do you honestly think that Tee forgot how to play football at an elite level? He'll if you go back to the Steelers and Vikings game you would see that he's still the same old Tee!

I'm not saying that he 'forgot' anything, but his hands and eyes didn't exactly agree on several passes this season that should have been routine catches, based on what he had previously demonstrated in prior years.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 05:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s solid thinking but…. I’m not sure they knew all that last off season. Look at QB. If I were an agent I’m waiting until closer to time relevancy to see the going rate.

If they didn't know that about Tee last offseason after the whole Jessie Bates situation they were living in denial. They have the same agent, same guy who got Watson the absurd contract. The writing was on the wall the second the top of the WR market became $30m/yr in 2022.

I know she's not the most trusted source, but she wasn't the only one reporting that it didn't really ever come close to a deal and I can't recall anyone reporting that they did ever get close. The only people who actually thought the Bengals were going to sign Burrow, Chase, and Higgins all to long term deals were the guys who thought they were all going to take discounts well below their market value to stick together.

(03-02-2024, 05:26 PM)J24 Wrote: His value is just as high this offseason as it was last season. He's a top 15 Wr,at 25 years old, and if the Bengals were to trade him they would get good value in return.

No, it's not. 

Last year he was under contract for 1yr/$1m and coming off a >1k season.
This year he has a franchise tag of 1yr/$22m and coming off a 650 yard season.

I honestly don't believe Tee is a top-15 WR right now. There were 27 WRs who had >1k yards last year including 18 WRs who had more yards last year than Tee's career high.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

(03-02-2024, 05:47 PM)pulses Wrote: I love Tee but he's always gonna be a WR2 IMO.

Pretty much. We can all debate and surmise but the bottom line is despite his agents reputation Tee will have to decide what’s most important. Doubt anybody knows until decision time or even him. The Bengals should be in no hurry now.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 08:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Pretty much. We can all debate and surmise but the bottom line is despite his agents reputation Tee will have to decide what’s most important. Doubt anybody knows until decision time or even him. The Bengals should be in no hurry now.

I’m pretty sure what’s most important to Tee is maximizing his very few years in the NFL for as much money as he can earn. He’s worked his whole life dedicating it towards football. Now is his time to cash in. What else would be more important to him? Wearing an orange jersey? If the Bengals don’t want to pay him $25M or whatever he’s asking, someone will and we may find that out next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 09:14 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m pretty sure what’s most important to Tee is maximizing his very few years in the NFL for as much money as he can earn. He’s worked his whole life dedicating it towards football. Now is his time to cash in. What else would be more important to him? Wearing an orange jersey? If the Bengals don’t want to pay him $25M or whatever he’s asking, someone will and we may find that out next year.

Possibly, but they would be overpaying, and they are freely entitled to do so.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 08:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Pretty much. We can all debate and surmise but the bottom line is despite his agents reputation Tee will have to decide what’s most important. Doubt anybody knows until decision time or even him. The Bengals should be in no hurry now.

I’m pretty sure what’s most important to Tee is maximizing his very few years in the NFL for as much money as he can earn. He’s worked his whole life dedicating it towards football. Now is his time to cash in. What else would be more important to him? Wearing an orange jersey? If the Bengals don’t want to pay him $25M or whatever he’s asking, someone will and we may find that out next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 10:06 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’m pretty sure what’s most important to Tee is maximizing his very few years in the NFL for as much money as he can earn. He’s worked his whole life dedicating it towards football. Now is his time to cash in. What else would be more important to him? Wearing an orange jersey? If the Bengals don’t want to pay him $25M or whatever he’s asking, someone will and we may find that out next year.

If he wants WR1 money he’s out of luck. If he can take top 15 money and stay here where he likes the players and coaches then great. I think it’s unlikely he stays and put it at 1-3.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 10:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If he wants WR1 money he’s out of luck. If he can take top 15 money and stay here where he likes the players and coaches then great. I think it’s unlikely he stays and put it at 1-3.

Top 15 money is WR1 money. Top 32 money is technically WR1 money. It’s likely the bengals don’t want to pay him top 15. Which is why he isn’t signed long term. Higgins hasn’t been offered what he wants. I don’t see a deal getting done unless the Bengals do give him a top 15 WR money or in other words, WR1 money.
Reply/Quote
Tee is virtually locked in here this year.

The only real scenario I could see us getting off him would be one where we have so many high impact FAs on the hook at other spots that we decide using that $20 mil on them is better than using it on him.

One of them would have to be an OT to get us off RT at #18. Something like Onwenu (note quite truly elite) + Jones + Reader. Maybe substitute a guy like Winfield or Johnson in that mix. Truly elite guys.

Almost elite guys like Tee, Wilkins, and Williams are guys I'd like to have, but will forgo for the real deal and will let go eventually.

But the Burrow, Chase, Reader, Hendrickson types I keep as long as they keep delivering.
Reply/Quote
Tee's agent is a pr!ck. Same guy Wilkins has.

Next year, it will likely be tag & trade. But this gives us a year to see Jones & Yoshi develop & maybe see how another WR/TE we draft does.
Reply/Quote
we'll be alright, one way or another everything will work out. Just be patient with the system and let it unfold.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 03:15 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Tee's agent is a pr!ck. Same guy Wilkins has.

Next year, it will likely be tag & trade. But this gives us a year to see Jones & Yoshi develop & maybe see how another WR/TE we draft does.

Didn't know Wilkins has the same agent. Damn. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 01:27 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Top 15 money is WR1 money. Top 32 money is technically WR1 money. It’s likely the bengals don’t want to pay him top 15. Which is why he isn’t signed long term. Higgins hasn’t been offered what he wants. I don’t see a deal getting done unless the Bengals do give him a top 15 WR money or in other words, WR1 money.

Good luck building a team trying to convince guys that you will pay a WR1 $8m/yr, a QB $4m/yr, a pair of OTs  $1.4m/yr each, $1.5m for a TE because it's technically all starter money. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2024, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Possibly, but they would be overpaying, and they are freely entitled to do so.

Overpaying is not smart in this situation.
Reply/Quote