Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN - Troy Blackburn comments on Bobby Hart signing
(03-28-2019, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ehh, Zac's mouth hasn't exactly been spouting logical statements, either.  According to him Bobby Hart and Mike Brown are way better than any tangible evidence shows, and Jim Turner has been completely misunderstood and maligned by multiple people across multiple franchises for multiple reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I was sick of Marvin...but the amount of "Don't believe your eyes, don't look at the numbers, just believe what you hear from me" that has been coming from the front office and coaching staff lately is getting troubling/insulting.  I will say the guy told us to not believe our eyes when it comes to John Ross and we ate that up because it's what we wanted to hear, though.  I'll give him that one.

Anywho, there is still lots of off-season left, but IF IF IF IF IF Zac Taylor flops as a head coach we are going to have a wealth of stuff to look back on and say "No duh, the red flags were everywhere."

I feel like we have too much talent on the roster for them to totally flop. The danger is that when Green/Atkins and our aging core leaves we won't be able to replace them.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 07:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: "There wasn't shit else on the market (that we felt like paying for), so we had to do SOMETHING" - boy...what a ringing endorsement for Bobby Hart. Also, way to inspire confidence from the fan base. Reading this makes me pumped up for that "New Dey".

It’s almost as if Troy is a member here.

And a hater at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply/Quote
The next morning, less than 24 hours into the free agency process, it did ramp up. Offers came in from Denver, Minnesota, the New York Jets, and another one from the Rams (an even better one). Each time, Dad would put pen to paper and make his calculations. We would all talk and weigh our options. Andrew called Pat [Dye, Whitworth’s agent] back at dinner that night and said, “I really don’t want to go anywhere else. I want to finish my career in Cincinnati, but their offer isn’t even competitive with the others. Can you reach out to them and see if they will increase their offer?” The answer hit us like a ton of bricks … “Andrew, here’s the text I just received from Troy Blackburn (one of the Bengals’ owners),” Pat’s text read. “I wanted you to read it for yourself. I’m sorry.” “We don’t have Andrew valued at that price,” Blackburn said. “He is an aging left tackle. Our offer stands. It will not increase. If he chooses to leave Cincinnati, all good things must come to an end, I guess.”

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/02/melissa-whitworth-andrew-whitworth-desire-stay-bengals/
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Worst thing about his comment was the smug tone of voice.  Does not sound professional at all.

And even if I agreed with the points he made he never explained why we had to sign Hart for THREE YEARS.  No free agent RTs this year?  Guess what, they have new free agents every year, dumbass.

Oh quit squealing and thrashing about, ya hater.  Cool

(03-28-2019, 09:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A bunch of haters you all are:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We blame Mike Brown because we never know who really makes the decisions these days, but Mike has the lengthy track record of failure. 

Besides, even if he isn't making the decisions, he's employing the ones who are. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 11:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh quit squealing and thrashing about, ya hater.  Cool

We blame Mike Brown because we never know who really makes the decisions these days, but Mike has the lengthy track record of failure. 

Besides, even if he isn't making the decisions, he's employing the ones who are. 

Yep. Ultimately it comes from the top of an organization.

That said, what Blackburn said basically rings true in that - They own the team and can do whatever they want with it. They're not going to change from public pressure.

He basically just said that out loud and let us in on the thought process.

Kind of sad in a way the low value they put on draft picks as comp picks seemed to be a big part of their strategy. That said, I don't disagree. A 3rd Round pick won't be starting. The great Russell Bodine in the 4th Round was the exception where they didn't go sign a quality Center and drafted Bodine in the 4th Round and handed him the starting job.
Reply/Quote
I believe it probably wasn’t said in such a smug manner, that it reads like.

That said the way it reads certainly makes it seem like a smug jab at fans.

The Bengals actively bid against themselves when signing Hart to a three-year deal worth 21 million, if I remember correctly.

Everybody understands that we can't just draft all offensive linemen and completely replace the O-Line. We have other spots that have to be addressed.

We understand you felt you had to keep one of the offensive linemen.

However, he only got like 1.05 million dollars last year.

He committed 14 penalties, including nine false starts.

He gave up 39 pressure's and 10 sacks according to PFF, I believe.

You reward him by giving him a huge pay raise.

Okay, fine. You had to keep a tackle. Did you really have to give him that big of a contract?

So what someone offered a tackle a ridiculous amount of money, it doesn't mean you have to for Hart.

Was someone really gonna outbid you if you offered him a 2 year, 6 million dollar contract?

I mean it would of saved you 15 million dollars, if it was the 21 million dollars I remember hearing about.

Funnily enough, the Hart issue had almost completely died down behind some very solid free agent moves since then.

Paul Brown: "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."

The only way to win, is for Hart to prove everyone wrong.

So in this case it's best to say less, until otherwise.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
When asked by his wife if she "looks good in these pants", Troy's response was, "less awful than usual. I've seen you naked umpteen million times. It's whatever at this point."

I'm not mad about the Hart contract, it's nice that the Browns decided to spend their money on a starting RT instead of pocketing it, I agree with some of what Troy has said here because there is a valid point in there somewhere, but MY GOD - holy ***** Christmas - he needs to work on his verbiage. He comes off as a GIGANTIC asshole each and every time that he opens up his mouth so far as I can see.
Reply/Quote
This guy is a PR nightmare, and the family continues its blundering ways, while Jeff Berding and FC Cincinnati just keep handing them their heads in the battle for Cincinnati area sports fans and their dollars.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You won't like what Troy had to say...
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41059312-4

What this really tells me is that Troy confirmed the Bengals go to the NFL equivalent of Wal Mart to get their FAs. They don't shop at the high-end name brand stores. No wonder they can't find anything nice.  Smirk

His comments are dead on and I applaud him for speaking out to delusional fans on "creating" something that wasn't there.

And I keep saying it but everyone seems to place all the blame on the offensive line on Hart.  He is a solid run blocker, with some holes in his pass protection.  He is 24 years old today and we needed to have him in place for Day 1 of camp.  They will most likely draft someone (or two) to push him to start, but unless they find a real gem that every other scout missed on, Hart will likely be the starting RT from day 1.  

Let's not forget the offense was not the problem when this team was 4-1 and with a new coach and scheme, well, doesn't it just seem like it HAS to be more innovative and less predictable?  This is the same offense that ran maybe one jet sweep with the fastest man in the NFL.  I never saw him get a screen.  I saw Gio sit and rot on the bench.  I saw two TEs on the field maybe twice....

Hart is not the devil.  Stop making him out to be.  And Troy, Katie, and Duke are putting together a good roster.  Nail this draft and it will be a great roster.  And they FINALLY got a coach that isn't from the 70s (I can't say 80s because we had some innovative coaches then).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 03:04 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Not a surprising take from a guy who's only qualification for his job is sharing a double sided with the daughter of the owner.  

This guys a f'n joke.  Talking all tough like he's allowed to look his wife in the eyes when she snaps her fingers and he places her purse he was carrying in her hand.

Couldn't be further from the truth...
Reply/Quote
Troy's comments would be easier to stomach if they didn't re-sign Hart to a contract that makes him the 9th highest paid offensive tackle in the league. Especially when there doesn't seem to have been any other teams breathing down their neck to get him.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 07:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: His comments are dead on and I applaud him for speaking out to delusional fans on "creating" something that wasn't there.

And I keep saying it but everyone seems to place all the blame on the offensive line on Hart.  He is a solid run blocker, with some holes in his pass protection.  He is 24 years old today and we needed to have him in place for Day 1 of camp.  They will most likely draft someone (or two) to push him to start, but unless they find a real gem that every other scout missed on, Hart will likely be the starting RT from day 1.  

Let's not forget the offense was not the problem when this team was 4-1 and with a new coach and scheme, well, doesn't it just seem like it HAS to be more innovative and less predictable?  This is the same offense that ran maybe one jet sweep with the fastest man in the NFL.  I never saw him get a screen.  I saw Gio sit and rot on the bench.  I saw two TEs on the field maybe twice....

Hart is not the devil.  Stop making him out to be.  And Troy, Katie, and Duke are putting together a good roster.  Nail this draft and it will be a great roster.  And they FINALLY got a coach that isn't from the 70s (I can't say 80s because we had some innovative coaches then).

His comments are condescending and uncalled for. Yeah, Troy, you cannot go to Walmart to find an NFL right tackle brainiac. He could of said all of what you said and I wouldn't have a problem with it. But to come off like a smug prick is lame, especially after fans stopped showing up last year and you're trying to go through a re-imaging process. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 07:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Couldn't be further from the truth...

Please enlighten us on his ‘other’ qualification. Is he blood relative too?
Reply/Quote
Seems like hiring a PR firm to coach the front office on how to talk in the media would be a good investment.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 08:15 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: His comments are condescending and uncalled for. Yeah, Troy, you cannot go to Walmart to find an NFL right tackle brainiac. He could of said all of what you said and I wouldn't have a problem with it. But to come off like a smug prick is lame, especially after fans stopped showing up last year and you're trying to go through a re-imaging process. 

I think him using the Walmart reference gives an incite on how he views the fan base, the stereotypical Walmart shopper. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 07:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: His comments are dead on and I applaud him for speaking out to delusional fans on "creating" something that wasn't there.

Hart is awful, and couldn’t even keep his job on the NYG who had an arguably worse OL than us.

Iirc you were also pretty high on Redmond, so maybe you’re not the best judge when in comes to olinemen... Tongue

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 11:41 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: It’s almost as if Troy is a member here.

And a hater at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have your cause and effect mixed up on your statements.

Honestly, IF they let this kind of stuff leak to the press and stuff like the Whitworth text message gets out...what do you think they really think? They candycoat a lot of their PR on Bengals.com like Compensatory Picks are great! In reality, no one should believe that. You get special teamers year 1 through those picks generally and your probably lost a player that was a decent starter.

The reality is, they want to retain their own...but they do operate under a very strict budget. That budget doesn't allow for signing high priced free agents. That budget likely also applies to having a small scouting staff.

I don't think these people are inept. I think they have a view of the Bengals as some small market team like in baseball that could go bankrupt if they spent too much. The reality is that with revenue sharing, EVERY team can compete.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 04:34 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: When asked by his wife if she "looks good in these pants", Troy's response was, "less awful than usual. I've seen you naked umpteen million times. It's whatever at this point."

I'm not mad about the Hart contract, it's nice that the Browns decided to spend their money on a starting RT instead of pocketing it, I agree with some of what Troy has said here because there is a valid point in there somewhere, but MY GOD - holy ***** Christmas - he needs to work on his verbiage. He comes off as a GIGANTIC asshole each and every time that he opens up his mouth so far as I can see.

This guy is likely only a 'starting RT' here. That's the issue.

If you invest fairly heavily in guys who are among the worst starters at their position, how do you expect the team to improve?
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2019, 09:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you have your cause and effect mixed up on your statements.

Honestly, IF they let this kind of stuff leak to the press and stuff like the Whitworth text message gets out...what do you think they really think? They candycoat a lot of their PR on Bengals.com like Compensatory Picks are great! In reality, no one should believe that. You get special teamers year 1 through those picks generally and your probably lost a player that was a decent starter.

The reality is, they want to retain their own...but they do operate under a very strict budget. That budget doesn't allow for signing high priced free agents. That budget likely also applies to having a small scouting staff.

I don't think these people are inept. I think they have a view of the Bengals as some small market team like in baseball that could go bankrupt if they spent too much. The reality is that with revenue sharing, EVERY team can compete.

The scouts thing is the way it is because that's what Mike's dad thought was best.  That's more of a case of being stuck in the past than cheap.  It's a double edged sword, though.  We've had some great drafts under that system, but when you start having success and your staff gets picked over, it's a double blow.

A hidden issue is that Mike has spent a ton of money consolidating the family's ownership of the team.  Paul Brown actually only had a very small stake in the team when it was founded.  Over the years he bought out some of his partners to get a 51% majority, then stopped.  

I would say the stadium situation is another factor.  PBS is going to need big renovations to keep up in a few years and there's not going to be tax dollars for it.
Reply/Quote
What a complete asshole.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote