Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Early winners and losers at Training camp
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp-early-winners-losers-2

I know, I know it's TC hype. We've had our share of that back through the years. But I'm hoping and praying the Carman reports aren't just hype.

Also really glad Hurst is making an impression. And CTB may well displace Apple before this season is over it seems ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp-early-winners-losers-2

I know, I know it's TC hype. We've had our share of that back through the years. But I'm hoping and praying the Carman reports aren't just hype.

Also really glad Hurst is making an impression. And CTB may well displace Apple before this season is over it seems ?

If Hurst is making a good impression with QBs not named Burrow slinging him the ball, then it might get even better once Burrow is back.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If Hurst is making a good impression with QBs not named Burrow slinging him the ball, then it might get even better once Burrow is back.

Right

It would be great to have a really good TE to pressure the middle of opposing D's. Our offense could be nightmare for teams to defend.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp-early-winners-losers-2

Good to hear Carman, Hurst, and CTB are doing well.
I'm surprised Dax Hill wasn't mentioned, as there's been some buzz around him this TC too.

If the Bengals have Carman playing up to his potential, the big FA acquisitions in Karras, Cappa, Collins, and Hurst live up to at least expectations, and see CTB and Dax Hill play well as rookies, this will be a very good year (again).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:27 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It would be great to have a really good TE to pressure the middle of opposing D's. Our offense could be nightmare for teams to defend.

We don't need another TE.  Hurst will be good enough.  The TE is not really a crucial position for our offense.
Reply/Quote
Winners: Fans

Great to see them able to attend training camp again.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
BTW Bates does not need training camp to play well. He is a fifth year veteran
Reply/Quote
It sounds like ADG has made some nice plays, too. Including a pick 6.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Good to hear Carman, Hurst, and CTB are doing well.
I'm surprised Dax Hill wasn't mentioned, as there's been some buzz around him this TC too.

If the Bengals have Carman playing up to his potential, the big FA acquisitions in Karras, Cappa, Collins, and Hurst live up to at least expectations, and see CTB and Dax Hill play well as rookies, this will be a very good year (again).

Yep

I'm starting to get even more excited. If that's possible?
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't need another TE.  Hurst will be good enough.  The TE is not really a crucial position for our offense.

Improvise, overcome, and adapt Fred. The offense may well change a bit.
Reply/Quote
I'm taking CTB's and Dax's performances with a grain of salt at this point because Brandon Allen is the one slinging the ball, but I'm glad to hear Carman and Hurst are doing well. Only 2 losers, neither of which are actually playing (one injured, the other holding out) is nice; means no one is stinking up the place.

Good news all around. Let's see if they can translate it into regular season progress, especially Carman.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 10:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It sounds like ADG has made some nice plays, too. Including a pick 6.

Sweet

I'm not saying our defense is gonna be top notch. But even if they're just decent all year it's gonna be hard to beat this team with the O we should have.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:10 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm taking CTB's and Dax's performances with a grain of salt at this point because Brandon Allen is the one slinging the ball, but I'm glad to hear Carman and Hurst are doing well. Only 2 losers, neither of which are actually playing (one injured, the other holding out) is nice; means no one is stinking up the place.

Good news all around. Let's see if they can translate it into regular season progress, especially Carman.

My biggest concern (and I doubt I'm alone, duh) coming into this season is LG. I'm so hoping Carman has his bad games behind him.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:10 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm taking CTB's and Dax's performances with a grain of salt at this point because Brandon Allen is the one slinging the ball, but I'm glad to hear Carman and Hurst are doing well. Only 2 losers, neither of which are actually playing (one injured, the other holding out) is nice; means no one is stinking up the place.

True, but any meaningful contribution from rookies is a nice bonus.
Especially if it comes from the first 2-3 picks, helping justify why they were taken so early in the draft (although I know some players are picked early purely for their potential and have an expected growth curve).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My biggest concern (and I doubt I'm alone, duh) coming into this season is LG. I'm so hoping Carman has his bad games behind him.

The fact that Carman couldn't make it on the field in the Super Bowl is absolutely terrifying to me. I couldn't fathom a player being worse than Adeniji at RG and yet, somehow, Carman could not secure that starting spot. It would be a massive leap for him to go from that to a quality starting LG but he was a 2nd round pick. I guess you gotta give players grace every once in a while.

It helps that the player I wanted in the 2nd round, Teven Jenkins, has been a complete and absolute bust to this point, so I no longer feel like we're missing out on a good player having taken Carman. Turns out 2nd round Olinemen are just a bit of a mixed bag/lotto ticket for whatever reason. The same thing happened in 2019. I was upset that Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner all went off the board right before our 2nd round pick but, turns out, none of them had the career that I thought they would to this point.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but any meaningful contributions from rookies is a nice bonus.
Especially if it comes from the first 2-3 picks, helping justify why they were taken so early in the draft (although I know some players are picked early purely for their potential and have an expected growth curve).

Don't get me wrong. It's much better to hear they are thriving than struggling. No one likes to hear their team's top picks are not showing well early, so both of these guys performing well in camp is objectively a good thing. I'm just saying they aren't picking off starting NFL QB passes right now Tongue
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The fact that Carman couldn't make it on the field in the Super Bowl is absolutely terrifying to me. I couldn't fathom a player being worse than Adeniji at RG and yet, somehow, Carman could not secure that starting spot. It would be a massive leap for him to go from that to a quality starting LG but he was a 2nd round pick. I guess you gotta give players grace every once in a while.

It helps that the player I wanted in the 2nd round, Teven Jenkins, has been a complete and absolute bust to this point, so I no longer feel like we're missing out on a good player having taken Carman. Turns out 2nd round Olinemen are just a bit of a mixed bag/lotto ticket for whatever reason. The same thing happened in 2019. I was upset that Jawaan Taylor, Greg Little, Cody Ford and Dalton Risner all went off the board right before our 2nd round pick but, turns out, none of them had the career that I thought they would to this point.

I think that can be subjective based on what the coach/team wants the player to be strong at for that given time.
Carman no doubt had certain aspects of his game better than Adeniji last year.
But there must have been certain other aspects that the team felt so uncomfortable with that they didn't want to risk him out there.
Hopefully (most of) those issues are (much) improved by the time Week 1 comes around.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that can be subjective based on what the coach/team wants the player to be strong at for that given time.
Carman no doubt had certain aspects of his game better than Adeniji last year.
But there must have been certain other aspects that the team felt so uncomfortable with that they didn't want to risk him out there.
Hopefully (most of) those issues are (much) improved by the time Week 1 comes around.

If memory serves Carman blew some guys up run blocking last season. Seems he struggled a lot at times in pass pro, especially at RG. Bottom line I just don't wanna see Joe running for his life 1.1 seconds into pass plays.

And to be honest I really don't care who's playing LG. If it's Carman and he's doing well, great. If somebody else is better ? That's fine too.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2022, 11:21 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The fact that Carman couldn't make it on the field in the Super Bowl is absolutely terrifying to me. I couldn't fathom a player being worse than Adeniji at RG and yet, somehow, Carman could not secure that starting spot. It would be a massive leap for him to go from that to a quality starting LG but he was a 2nd round pick. I guess you gotta give players grace every once in a while.

Oh my yes. I doubt Adeniji sticks this season. He was just awful. 
Reply/Quote
Pads come on today that's when we really see how players preform.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote