Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eifert may not be ready for training camp
(04-20-2017, 01:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Most definitely. I think people are sleeping on CJ. In the 7 games where he was actually used as a receiver (pretty much all while Eifert was out), he produced 24-228-1. 

That would translate to 54-521-2 over a full season. For a 2nd year player (particularly a TE), it was solid production. Good enough for me to feel he's a solid backup heading into his 3rd year. Would I like a more dominant player behind Eifert? Sure, but CJ isn't bad at all.

I normally hate the guy who says "if you take away..." when trying to make a statistical point, but I am going to be that guy anyway.

CJ Uzomah 2016:
25 catches / 234 yards (9.4 AVG) / 1 TD

That 9.4 isn't so great, and then when you look at the fact that 1 catch of his was 54 yards and it was in the first game of the year. So his other 24 catches went for 180 yards, or 7.5 yards per catch. That's not even decent receiving RB territory. I don't trust his routes, and I don't trust his hands (even if they say he only had "one" drop).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't like OJ Howard anywhere in the top 10.

Not necessarily because of his talent, rather the BENGALS  lack of utilization of two TE sets.

Eifert may miss time that will help with OJ's targets but once Eifert is back, I expect OJ to be relegated to blocking and short out routes.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 06:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I normally hate the guy who says "if you take away..." when trying to make a statistical point, but I am going to be that guy anyway.

CJ Uzomah 2016:

That 9.4 isn't so great, and then when you look at the fact that 1 catch of his was 54 yards and it was in the first game of the year. So his other 24 catches went for 180 yards, or 7.5 yards per catch. That's not even decent receiving RB territory. I don't trust his routes, and I don't trust his hands (even if they say he only had "one" drop).

Yeah, but you know who they could get in the 4th that would fix all that??? Wink Wink Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 08:48 PM)jeremydc Wrote: I don't like OJ Howard anywhere in the top 10.

Not necessarily because of his talent, rather the BENGALS  lack of utilization of two TE sets.

Eifert may miss time that will help with OJ's targets but once Eifert is back, I expect OJ to be relegated to blocking and short out routes.

I'd love to have the problem of wondering how to use OJ Howard and a healthy Eifert at the same time.  I don't see that ever being an issue, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 11:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd love to have the problem of wondering how to use OJ Howard and a healthy Eifert at the same time.  I don't see that ever being an issue, though.

The coaching staff may get their chance to wonder the same thing.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2017, 06:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I normally hate the guy who says "if you take away..." when trying to make a statistical point, but I am going to be that guy anyway.

CJ Uzomah 2016:

Well I hate to be one of those guys that say "but it happened", but I'll do it anyway. The 54 yarder happened.  Smirk

Some have been getting all in their feelings about Gresh being gone. Gresh's career average? 9.7 yards per catch. I'm not saying that's great or anything, but we're talking about a 2nd year project TE compared to a 1st round pick that started many seasons for us.

It kills me when fans talk about routes btw. We don't know what the routes are, how shallow or deep they're supposed to be, or when they should make their cuts. Tbh, only coaches know that. All we can do is guess. CJ's hands are probably worse than the drop numbers indicate, but also better than some on here say. I wouldn't say they're a plus, but we're talking about a backup. I like his athleticism. That's what made that 54 yard catch happen.

I get not being sold on him though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

CJ Uzomah 2016:

(04-23-2017, 06:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I hate to be one of those guys that say "but it happened", but I'll do it anyway. The 54 yarder happened.  Smirk

Some have been getting all in their feelings about Gresh being gone. Gresh's career average? 9.7 yards per catch. I'm not saying that's great or anything, but we're talking about a 2nd year project TE compared to a 1st round pick that started many seasons for us.

It kills me when fans talk about routes btw. We don't know what the routes are, how shallow or deep they're supposed to be, or when they should make their cuts. Tbh, only coaches know that. All we can do is guess. CJ's hands are probably worse than the drop numbers indicate, but also better than some on here say. I wouldn't say they're a plus, but we're talking about a backup. I like his athleticism. That's what made that 54 yard catch happen.

I get not being sold on him though.

I see Uzomah as a complimentary TE/Big WR, but potential is there long term. In the action he's seen he's shown that that the game isn't too big for him. I did a lot of reading up on him after he was selected in 2015. Big, fast, great hands. Needs to improve as a blocker and hasn't played traditional TE role at Auburn. Smart, good character guy. Uzomah has flashed in limited opportunities.

I don't blame his yards per catch on him. I think that there needs to be chemistry developed and trust/familiarity there with the QB. With Eifert there I don't see how that should be expected for Uzomah at this point.

I think that with Eifert's current injury status being ALWAYS, I won't blame the Bengals fro letting him go somewhere else for big $. If they do take a TE, I like the kid, Butt, out of MI. He can do it all.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 09:12 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think that with Eifert's current injury status being ALWAYS, I won't blame the Bengals fro letting him go somewhere else for big $. If they do take a TE, I like the kid, Butt, out of MI. He can do it all.

A Tight End named Butt. That's gold. GOLD!
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 09:12 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think that with Eifert's current injury status being ALWAYS, I won't blame the Bengals fro letting him go somewhere else for big $. If they do take a TE, I like the kid, Butt, out of MI. He can do it all.

So replace Eifert with Butt who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl?

Maybe in the 4th or 5th Round I'd take him...but I doubt that he plays this season.
Reply/Quote
Yeah If they don't come across Howard at 9; I'd rather roll with Engram or Hodges over Butt. Engram doesn't block well but both have great hands
Reply/Quote