Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eifert not practicing
(10-06-2016, 05:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How am I a Gresham homer?  God forbid I give a Bengals player who played 14+ games and scored 4-6 TDs every season he was here some credit and/or the benefit of the doubt over 2 guys who haven't done a damn thing yet.  It's just interesting how all off-season we were told to brace ourselves for Kroft and Uzomah lighting it up and making losing Eifert as painless as possible.

Fast forward a month into the season and we're now being told it is unreasonable to expect them to even contribute yet.  Sorry, I guess I just bought into the hype that they'd be awesome.  I thought I was being an optimistic homer when I thought they'd be good, but now I'm a hater because they aren't as good as I thought.  Damn, this stuff is confusing.

I think you bought into the hype Nately. I did as well but i have been brought down to earth with the reality
that Uzomah has only played in 4 games and has showed flashes of good but he gets too excited out there.

Not a terrible surprise from a TE that was never hardly used in the passing game in college.

Kroft is coming off of injury and all of his big game experience came playing with McCarron pretty much.

Still like these guys and i am not writing them off.

Gresham was decent here but was a 1st round pick that disappointed so who cares. We have who we have
and i am happy with who we got. Need to see results though i agree.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are clearly a Gresham homer who was a 1st round disappointment at best.

This is just silly. Gresh was very good for us. He never had fewer than 45 receptions in any season he was here and never missed more than 2 games in a season. Matter fact Gresh in only 1 of 3 TEs in the history of the NFL to have at least 50 catches in each of his first 3 seasons. 

Dude showed up in playoff games when the rest of the team did not. Gresh was far from a disappointment,  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 07:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is just silly. Gresh was very good for us. He never had fewer than 45 receptions in any season he was here and never missed more than 2 games in a season. Matter fact Gresh in only 1 of 3 TEs in the history of the NFL to have at least 50 catches in each of his first 3 seasons. 

Dude showed up in playoff games when the rest of the team did not. Gresh was far from a disappointment,  

Only part I disagree with on Gresh. Really liked him.

But the 2012 playoffs he was a big reason why we lost. But in 2013 he actually had a good game that often gets over-looked.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 05:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe only cause Kroft was injured. But healthy you take Kroft every time over an aging 1st round disappointment.

Kroft can block and catch already just as good as Gresham and is more athletic when healthy. Same size with ten times the upside.

I truly believe it is a chemistry thing with Dalton and Kroft trying to get back after not playing the entire Preseason.

I'd like to point out you're gushing over a guy who has 14 career catches in 21 games.

You also had to make mention of his health 3 times in 5 sentences.

....just sayin....

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 02:41 PM)pally Wrote: He is not out on either the practice or rehab field and was not in the locker room when the press was there.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/10/05/eifert-misses-practice-status-doubt/91608974/

I love how this turned from "Eifert injured in Pro Bowl, not expected to be serious" to out for first four games and now not practicing. If they ever say someone has a serious injury , notify next of kin.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 08:43 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I love how this turned from "Eifert injured in Pro Bowl, not expected to be serious" to out for first four games and now not practicing. If they ever say someone has a serious injury , notify next of kin.

I'm just frustrated with the whole organization. Who is the peckerwood who spreads the garbage about Bengal injuries and the idiotic prognoses?  Whomever it is should be put on "IR never to return".
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 02:48 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think he's just a bit of a product of what they need in Arizona. Last year Fitzgerald had 1200 yards, Brown had 1000 yards, and Floyd had 850 yards. They didn't need more receiving threats. They needed someone to block.

This year again they have 3 people with over 200 yards receiving, and 5 with over 150 yards, and that's even with Palmer regressing a little.

True, TE's block more in AZ, but that doesn't explain why a supposedly still gifted pass catcher like Gresh has been outproduced by a UFA. Plus why would a supposedly still talented TE sign with a team where he'd be stuck in a time share with said UFA in an offense that limits his pass catching opportunities? After all, pass catching - not blocking alone - is where TE's earn the big bucks. He'd be limiting his future earning potential. It doesn't jive with me.

It seems more likely that AZ was one of the only teams that was interested after his surgery, and that Gresham losing a step is why the UFA is outproducing him.

(10-06-2016, 05:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: AZ just uses TEs differently, I guess.  It's hard to look at Gresham being a moderately important part of what was 2015's #1 offense and declare that he's clearly turned to crap because the stat sheet looked better when he was here.

Meh, the whole "good riddance Gresham" narrative held some water in 2015 when we were convinced we couldn't have Eifert and Gresham on the field at the same time, but this year we have 0 TEs and I'm not really SURE Gresham couldn't put up another 500 yards and 5 TD season here.  

I wouldn't even say Gresh was a moderately important player for them. Blocking TE's are easier to stumble on and that's mostly what he's asked to do. Fells has doubled Gresh's catches this year. Fells. A UFA.

I'm not "sure" Gresh wouldn't go 500 and 5 this year for the Bengals, but I'd certainly bet against it. Bfine brought up his age (28) as if it's unheard of for a TE to fall off before 30. Look at Brandon Pettigrew (very similar player). Look at Chris Cooley, Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis, etc etc. It's a rough position.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to having Gresh now, if it were an option, but at this point, I don't think he'd bring THAT much more than the young guys. So we may as well let them get their experience in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 07:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is just silly. Gresh was very good for us. He never had fewer than 45 receptions in any season he was here and never missed more than 2 games in a season. Matter fact Gresh in only 1 of 3 TEs in the history of the NFL to have at least 50 catches in each of his first 3 seasons. 

Gresh was a first round pick taken before Gronk, he was not as bad as many made him out to be but he has
been far from a knock it out of the park pick. Not saying he is a bad player but 1st round 1st pick taken out of
the draft, hence aging disappointment especially after he left here..

(10-06-2016, 08:17 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Only part I disagree with on Gresh. Really liked him.

But the 2012 playoffs he was a big reason why we lost. But in 2013 he actually had a good game that often gets over-looked.

True, i agree with this..

(10-06-2016, 08:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd like to point out you're gushing over a guy who has 14 career catches in 21 games.

You also had to make mention of his health 3 times in 5 sentences.

....just sayin....

Gushing?

Kroft has played 21 games eh? How many did he start and play with Dalton i may ask?

How many games was he the #1 TE in those 21 games?

Very vague.

...Just sayin....

(10-06-2016, 09:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, TE's block more in AZ, but that doesn't explain why a supposedly still gifted pass catcher like Gresh has been outproduced by a UFA. Plus why would a supposedly still talented TE sign with a team where he'd be stuck in a time share with said UFA in an offense that limits his pass catching opportunities? After all, pass catching - not blocking alone - is where TE's earn the big bucks. He'd be limiting his future earning potential. It doesn't jive with me.

It seems more likely that AZ was one of the only teams that was interested after his surgery, and that Gresham losing a step is why the UFA is outproducing him.

I wouldn't even say Gresh was a moderately important player for them. Blocking TE's are easier to stumble on and that's mostly what he's asked to do. Fells has doubled Gresh's catches this year. Fells. A UFA.

I'm not "sure" Gresh wouldn't go 500 and 5 this year for the Bengals, but I'd certainly bet against it. Bfine brought up his age (28) as if it's unheard of for a TE to fall off before 30. Look at Brandon Pettigrew (very similar player). Look at Chris Cooley, Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis, etc etc. It's a rough position.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to having Gresh now, if it were an option, but at this point, I don't think he'd bring THAT much more than the young guys. So we may as well let them get their experience in.

Great point on how TE's just don't last as long as they used to Shake.

This is still a moot point, we won't be bringing Gresh back anyways.
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, Uzomah is on pace for 576 yards right now, as a young guy learning as he goes.

Maybe we have something there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 09:01 PM)Derrick Wrote: I'm just frustrated with the whole organization. Who is the peckerwood who spreads the garbage about Bengal injuries and the idiotic prognoses?  Whomever it is should be put on "IR never to return".

That peckerwood would be none other than our own beloved Geoff Hobson. 

HONOLULU - The initial examination of Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert's foot didn't reveal a break Sunday night after the Pro Bowl. But he left Aloha Stadium in a boot and plans to  undergo further tests in Cincinnati to make sure he's got only a bone bruise.

A bone bruise?

Really?  Geoff?  You would think Geoff would know better than to report a bone bruise . . . again. I guess some people just don't learn. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 10:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, Uzomah is on pace for 576 yards right now, as a young guy learning as he goes.

He's not the next Eifert, by any stretch, but he's no chump either
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 12:21 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's not the next Eifert, by any stretch, but he's no chump either

He has some kinks to work out, but that's to be expected as he's playing for the first time. I think he'll develop into a solid backup or serviceable starter. 
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 12:38 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He has some kinks to work out, but that's to be expected as he's playing for the first time. I think he'll develop into a solid backup or serviceable starter. 

I honestly view him as a solid guy who's not going to be all that amazing by any sense. Serviceable.

He has some sloppy hands and struggles to make hand catches. He'd rather bring them into his body.

He's a pretty good blocker, though. I think he may be as good as Eifert in blocking. Maybe even better. It's his hands and footwork that seems to be his biggest problems he needs to work on.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Eifert is officially out for Week 5.
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonCMG/status/784439459521724416

The countdown is now one game. If Eifert misses one more game, he'll have tied Bob Sanders for games missed in their first four years.

EDIT: Might this just a continuation of his Freshman year in college when he only played 1 game and then missed the rest of the year with a back injury? Dude is always hurt.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dallas's staff sounds pretty crazy as well. Before it was a broken bone in his foot, now its a bone bruise...

I think you missed the point of the article.  In essence, every break is a bone bruise but it doesn't sound as bad as fracture, etc.  So there was not a misdiagnosis with Braham, the term is perfectly acceptable to use.  The key is that it sounds like less of an issue to the layman.  So we sat there hearing bone bruise thinking it wouldn't be a big deal, but the truth of the matter is there is a fracture, and he never recovered from it.  It sounds like Dez doesn't want it to sound as bad as it is, so his guys have floated the bone bruise term to try and limit the concerns.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 09:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, TE's block more in AZ, but that doesn't explain why a supposedly still gifted pass catcher like Gresh has been outproduced by a UFA. Plus why would a supposedly still talented TE sign with a team where he'd be stuck in a time share with said UFA in an offense that limits his pass catching opportunities? After all, pass catching - not blocking alone - is where TE's earn the big bucks. He'd be limiting his future earning potential. It doesn't jive with me.

Guy's made like $20m already, is making like $3.5m this year, and last year he won a playoff game.

Maybe he sees his chances of winning a SB as higher in Arizona, so he'll do whatever?

Admittedly could be a big dropoff like you suggested, but it also could be he just enjoys winning and doesn't feel like he needs more than $3.5m/yr (which lets be honest, is still a lot of money).

(10-06-2016, 10:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gushing?

Kroft has played 21 games eh? How many did he start and play with Dalton i may ask?

How many games was he the #1 TE in those 21 games?

Very vague.

...Just sayin....

How many times was Dane Sanzenbacher the #1 WR in the 20 games he played for the Bengals?

Irrelevant, because he wasn't GOOD ENOUGH to become the #1.

(15 catches in those 20 games, by the way.)

Really good players will always force their way in. Players that aren't really good, won't.

(10-06-2016, 10:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fwiw, Uzomah is on pace for 576 yards right now, as a young guy learning as he goes.

If he cleans up his hands issues, he'll probably beat that projection, but if he doesn't, look for that projection to plummet along with Dalton's confidence in him.

Right now he has 11 catches on 22 targets. Dalton won't keep feeding the ball to a guy like that, because Dalton doesn't want a 50% completion. (Eifert was at 72.2% last year, even with that awful Texans game.)

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 08:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. Guy's made like $20m already, is making like $3.5m this year, and last year he won a playoff game.

Maybe he sees his chances of winning a SB as higher in Arizona, so he'll do whatever?

Admittedly could be a big dropoff like you suggested, but it also could be he just enjoys winning and doesn't feel like he needs more than $3.5m/yr (which lets be honest, is still a lot of money).

2. If he cleans up his hands issues, he'll probably beat that projection, but if he doesn't, look for that projection to plummet along with Dalton's confidence in him.

Right now he has 11 catches on 22 targets. Dalton won't keep feeding the ball to a guy like that, because Dalton doesn't want a 50% completion. (Eifert was at 72.2% last year, even with that awful Texans game.)

1. Maybe, but how often do players pass on opportunities for more cash? I guess it's possible, but then you have to assume that - outside of AZ - not many successful teams came calling.

2. True true. Hands have been his biggest issue easily. Clean that up and he could be the best TE we've had since McGee (outside of Gresh and Eifert of course). You never know how things will play out though. I thought Kroft was solid last year. Is Kroft just hurt this year? What's the story with that guy?
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 08:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Maybe, but how often do players pass on opportunities for more cash? I guess it's possible, but then you have to assume that - outside of AZ - not many successful teams came calling.

2. True true. Hands have been his biggest issue easily. Clean that up and he could be the best TE we've had since McGee (outside of Gresh and Eifert of course). You never know how things will play out though. I thought Kroft was solid last year. Is Kroft just hurt this year? What's the story with that guy?

Apparently, he turned down 4 year offers from the Bears and someone else, to stay in Arizona on a 1 year deal.

I know its 5 games, but they look pretty crappy this year, in all facets.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 08:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Maybe, but how often do players pass on opportunities for more cash? I guess it's possible, but then you have to assume that - outside of AZ - not many successful teams came calling.

1. DeMarcus Ware did it with Denver just like two years ago, got himself a SB Ring.

Not saying that's the case with Gresham, just saying it's possible.

2. No idea with Kroft, maybe he's just not very good? Last year, including the postseason game, he started 7 games. He had 9 catches in those 7 starts.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dallas's staff sounds pretty crazy as well. Before it was a broken bone in his foot, now its a bone bruise...

There are six different types of tibial plateau fractures and treatment ranges from rest to surgery depending upon the type. The only people who refer to a tibial plateau fracture as a bone bruise are people like coaches and the media who parrot what the coaches say. 
Reply/Quote