Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Election Challenges, Protests, Conspiracy Theories, and Moral Panics
(11-17-2020, 10:20 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Hey look. Fraud.

Georgia Secretary of State says Lindsey Graham asked about tossing ballots

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/nov/16/brad-raffensperger-georgia-secretary-state-says-li/

GA Secretary of State says fellow Republicans are pressuring him to find ways to exclude ballots

"The atmosphere has grown so contentious, Raffensperger said, that he and his wife, Tricia, have received death threats in recent days, including a text to him that read: 'You better not botch this recount. Your life depends on it.'"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/brad-raffensperger-georgia-vote/2020/11/16/6b6cb2f4-283e-11eb-8fa2-06e7cbb145c0_story.html

This sort of thing should receive universal condemnation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This sort of thing should receive universal condemnation.

In roughly 60 days or so we will be able to stop simply condemning these actions and rely on an attorney general to actually investigate and handle them.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This sort of thing should receive universal condemnation.

Encouraging people, but totally not because legality stuff, to threaten people who volunteer to count votes seems like a slap in the face to people who fought and died for our freedom but what do I know?

Democracy...great when it recognizes Trump, otherwise?  Total farce!

Not to pull a cliched card, but if you don't like the idea of people actually having a fair election get the hell out of this country for your own sake, not mine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It’s incredibly divisive. My fiancées family is heavily Republican and they loved Trump. At this point, they are almost belligerent when it comes to this topic. They believe every bit of misinformation out there. I have tried telling them that it isn’t true, that a large number of different sources have fact-checked the claims and found them to be misinformation etc.

They are too confident in their own intelligence and think that I am the stupid one that has fallen for the deep left fraud. They think that Biden is going to eliminate Social Security, Medicare, that he is going to implement $1000 taxes per gun, per citizen. They think that he is going to crash the economy and bankrupt citizens with Obamacare.

Their information diet is terrifying seeing how they believe all of these things. There is no arguing with them. I have tried showing them proof that these things aren’t true, but it doesn’t work.

The demand for disinformation is now driving the supply.
Reply/Quote
Side note, over the weekend I was home fixing up my mom's house and apparently a Trump victory(?) parade with trucks and Trump flags was at the park. So small town PA folk just driving their Trump trucks and waving their Trump flags and denying the cold hard truth of it all? Wacky.

Did I tell you that Jo Jorgensen won the election, by the way? If anyone tells me Trump won I'm just going to say that Jo Jorgensen won and then watch them try to convince me that getting less votes means a candidate didn't win.
Reply/Quote
Quote:‘It’s Over’: Election Law Experts Declare Trump’s Legal Challenges ‘100 Percent Dead’ in the Water

Figaro will soon be exiting the stage as the last cantata plays and the curtains close on the Trump campaign’s comic legal opera aimed at overturning the 2020 presidential election results.

“It’s over,” election law expert and University of California, Irvine Law Professor Rick Hasen wrote in his Election Law Blog on Monday.

“Trump may still say he has won the election,” he noted. “But there is no path. Even the two key federal cases in Pennsylvania do not involve nearly enough votes to overturn the results there even if they were successful (and I don’t expect them to be).”

Hasen explained that the recent slew of losses and withdrawals for the Trump campaign’s always long-shot legal efforts are little more than a prelude to the fast-impending reality of what those lost and withdrawn cases mean in the aggregate.

“There is no path,” he continued, “Rudy Giuliani can say what he wants and the [resident can keep declaring that he’s won, but there’s no plausible legal way this election gets overturned. We are not talking three Hail Marys anymore. We are talking done.”

Hasen was far from alone regarding the 45th president’s fate.

University of Southern California Gould School of Law Professor Franita Tolson said she agreed with the estimation entirely.

“Anyone who has been paying attention for at least a week, in which the lawsuits became more plentiful but the evidence less so, would say that the writing has been on the wall,” she told Law&Crime in an email. “It is not surprising that the lawsuits are being withdrawn and the litigation coming to an end before judges lose their patience.”

Early on Monday, pro-Trump attorneys withdrew one such lawsuit in Wisconsin. Other withdrawals or dismissals, which should be read as evidence that the evidence simply is not there, occurred in Arizona, Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania as well.

Michael Morley, Assistant Professor at Florida State University College of Law, offered a holistic and similarly pessimistic overview.

“Many of the Trump campaign’s lawsuits have been rejected in court,” he said in an email. “Several others have been either dismissed or greatly narrowed by the campaign’s lawyers, so it’s not even contesting enough ballots to impact the election’s outcome. Both Biden’s lead in the Electoral College, as well as his margin of victory in the swing states, are substantial enough that the outcome of the election will not be changing.”

The idea that the entire production company–for the campaign’s largely kayfabe defiant posture–is closing up shop soon has now become something of a consensus position for election law experts as the motions and hearings have unfolded the past few days.

“I think Hasen is 100% right,” University of Kentucky College of Law professor Joshua A. Douglas said. “In fact, I think we could have said that a week ago. The margins are just too large and they have not uncovered anything that could put the outcomes in doubt.”

Eugene Mazo, the Visiting Associate Professor at the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, also told Law&Crime that he agreed entirely with Hasen’s understanding of the legal situation.

“There is no viable path for Trump to win,” he said. “The vote differential is too great for a recount to have any chance of succeeding in any of these states, and there’s no legal theory being advanced by the Trump campaign that has any chance of attracting a court’s attention. The only question here is who will pack Trump’s bags for him and place them at the side of the curb on January 20.”

CNN legal analyst Elie Honig was on the same page.

“It’s over and it has been for some time,” he told Law&Crime. “They’re getting absolutely nowhere in the courts, and they’ve got nothing to go on, legally or factually. Even if they did miraculously win a case or two, they have no chance to flip any state’s outcome. And even if they somehow pulled that off, they’d need to flip not one, not two, but three contested states. It’s over.”

Tulane Law Professor Ross Garber, an election litigation expert who is typically a voice of caution on such matters, also agreed with the categorical take on how President Donald Trump’s legal options are not long for this earth.

“I don’t think the president or his lawyers or surrogates have identified any conceivable path for him to retain the presidency,” he told Law&Crime in an email. “The big question now is how far he and his supporters will go to advance an agenda to help Trump personally and to undermine the legitimacy of a Biden Presidency and ultimately the underpinnings of our democracy itself.”

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/its-over-election-law-experts-declare-trumps-legal-challenges-100-percent-dead-in-the-water/
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
It's clear Trump's assertions have no legal standing, that's why what he says to his followers and what his legal team is presenting to courts are totally different. You can go on TV and tell people the election was 100% rigged, but if you try that line of bs in the legal system you're going to face legal penalties for it.

Trump may as well say that he can fly and turn water into wine but he doesn't feel like doing it. I used to think people got way too into Reagan and Obama but this Trump stuff just takes it to a whole new level...the guy is more important than democracy/America itself to his followers.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 02:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's clear Trump's assertions have no legal standing, that's why what he says to his followers and what his legal team is presenting to courts are totally different. You can go on TV and tell people the election was 100% rigged, but if you try that line of bs in the legal system you're going to face legal penalties for it.

Trump may as well say that he can fly and turn water into wine but he doesn't feel like doing it. I used to think people got way too into Reagan and Obama but this Trump stuff just takes it to a whole new level...the guy is more important than democracy/America itself to his followers.

It truly is odd... The election signs are still in yards. More often than not it is several Trump signs in a yard. Sometimes that isn't enough, and you need 2-3 flags too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: It truly is odd... The election signs are still in yards. More often than not it is several Trump signs in a yard. Sometimes that isn't enough, and you need 2-3 flags too.

I can see Trump flags and holding on forever like Confederate flags.  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 02:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's clear Trump's assertions have no legal standing, that's why what he says to his followers and what his legal team is presenting to courts are totally different.  You can go on TV and tell people the election was 100% rigged, but if you try that line of bs in the legal system you're going to face legal penalties for it.

Trump may as well say that he can fly and turn water into wine but he doesn't feel like doing it.  I used to think people got way too into Reagan and Obama but this Trump stuff just takes it to a whole new level...the guy is more important than democracy/America itself to his followers.

I don't understand why, he's surely the most awful people I've ever seen.

What is the problem with those cultists ? Are american people that easy to fool ? 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 09:58 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I don't understand why, he's surely the most awful people I've ever seen.

What is the problem with those cultists ? Are american people that easy to fool ? 

All i can tell you is that when I was 15 I thought Trump was an awesome badass.  Maybe I'm the one who lost the path and became brainwashed into the cult of anti Trump. 
Reply/Quote
The board of canvassers refusing to certify the vote in Wayne county Michigan won’t stop anything but should scare the shit out of everyone that local level officials think they can attempt to unilaterally try to overturn the will of the people. The general complicity of the GOP party to this whole sham, which 24 courts have upheld to be just that, is an insult to democracy.

Edit: Actually 25 out of 25 have now agreed as I just saw the PA Supreme Court overruled the only win the Trump legal team has had today.
Reply/Quote
I'll also say it surprises me to see how popular Trump is with the white working class since I watched the WWF and I recall the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase being booed and a heel. Weird.
Reply/Quote
Ya know it's almost like Trump really is the petty man-child many of said he was and he's just firing people who disagree with him no matter if they are right and he is wrong.

Weird.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Meanwhile...

You couldn't make up such a lying baby character and the have people believe that 70 million voters would thing he is the savior of the country.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:46 PM)GMDino Wrote:

Meanwhile...

You couldn't make up such a lying baby character and the have people believe that 70 million voters would thing he is the savior of the country.

I don't think he really understands how people think Russia impacted the 2016 (and likely this) election. It wasn't like they hacked machines, they just came up with a disinformation campaign that benefited both him and HRC. It wasn't about giving him or her the election, it was about dividing people, which worked.

Russia doesn't really care who is in the White House, all they're worried about is that we're upset about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 10:46 PM)GMDino Wrote:

Meanwhile...

We were all crying babies at one point. Maybe there is a correlation.
Reply/Quote
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/17/wayne-county-michigan-election-certification-437181

They quickly changed their minds and certified the results
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 12:55 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/17/wayne-county-michigan-election-certification-437181

They quickly changed their minds and certified the results

Ohhhh.. too little too late. Story is out. This story will be ran on repeat in the right wing echo chamber until the next shooting star lights up the trumpet sky giving them hope to suppress the will of the American people.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 01:07 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ohhhh.. too little too late. Story is out. This story will be ran on repeat in the right wing echo chamber until the next shooting star lights up the trumpet sky giving them hope to suppress the will of the American people.

the Press Secretary was on Hannity telling the whole world about this fraud. Trump retweeting some twitter account saying how we need to discredit all 800k+ Wayne County votes so that Trump can win the state. 

Precincts were off by a few votes because understaffed and overworked poll workers didn't mark some people as returning ballots and put ballots in the wrong precinct piles. There were no fraudulent votes. Of course the story is now that more people voted than there were people who could vote...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote