Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric guitar for noob
(01-12-2022, 05:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure what you want to spend, but if you are looking for a comfortable electric to play while seated, you can't beat the Stratocaster. I have a room full of acoustic and electric guitars, and one of my favorites to play is the cheapest guitar I own. It's a Made in Mexico Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (Blacktop just referring to the pickup configuration) Get you a Mexican Strat, they can be had new for about 400 dollars, and play exceptionally well. I have several friends who worked in the industry, and they turned me onto them when I was looking for an American made Srat. Lots's of touring musicians have expensive guitars but take their Mexican Strats on the road. I got mine with a maple neck and love it. (only maple neck I own.)

Can you still find a new MiM for that price?  I bought mine in 2001 for $350.  I think they're over $800 now (it's the "player's" model now instead of the "standard").  Which is crazy.  But the MiM are fantastic.  Yes, the pickups are a little cheaper and sometimes the frets aren't always dressed perfectly.  But I'd say on mine, it's felt the same as an American made.  Frets were perfect, no issues with wiring or hardware.  I swapped the pickguard but otherwise it's stock and going strong over 20 years later! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 05:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you make fun.... But seeing things in Madden as far as routes options defensive alignments and all that gives you a better understanding for how things work in the game.  and visa versa.     

Im being dead serious! Did you also know that the military's new basic training for soldiers is Call Of Duty Modern Warfare! Times are changing!!!

Im thinking of becoming a professional soccer player so I am currently training on FIFA..you gotta be in good shape buddy..

For Real!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 10:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can I play ?? Does a lion crap where it wants to ? Can Joe Burrow throw a football ?

No not really

Awesome, we have our lead guitarist.  Anybody play bass?  Or, even just have one?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:01 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Awesome, we have our lead guitarist.  Anybody play bass?  Or, even just have one?

Sometimes I turn up the bass on my stereo system.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 12:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks again

I wouldn't buy a used guitar at a pawn shop. Just to get a feel as you say. I'm not that big on buying used anything as a general rule. My hands are probably medium size and I know I'll not be able to handle a big neck so that will play into it. And I don't want a real heavy guitar.

Other than that I'm pretty open to whatever. I just don't want to go real cheap and then regret it a year from now.

That's how I got one of my favorites, so I don't know that you should write it off completely...
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 05:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure what you want to spend, but if you are looking for a comfortable electric to play while seated, you can't beat the Stratocaster. I have a room full of acoustic and electric guitars, and one of my favorites to play is the cheapest guitar I own. It's a Made in Mexico Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (Blacktop just referring to the pickup configuration) Get you a Mexican Strat, they can be had new for about 400 dollars, and play exceptionally well. I have several friends who worked in the industry, and they turned me onto them when I was looking for an American made Srat. Lots's of touring musicians have expensive guitars but take their Mexican Strats on the road. I got mine with a maple neck and love it. (only maple neck I own.)

I've kicked a Strat around and may end up going that way ?
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:15 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That's how I got one of my favorites, so I don't know that you should write it off completely...

Oh it's not completely out of the question. I'm just wary of used stuff in general.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 08:01 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Awesome, we have our lead guitarist.  Anybody play bass?  Or, even just have one?

My 3 year old granddaughter would be a good drummer. Maybe ?
Reply/Quote

I used to play bass for fun few years back. But ended up selling it.

I need to buy a cheap 150-200$ one again just to mess around with.

Really fun to play Joy Division songs lol.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
For an amp, take a look at the positive Grid spark. If interested in the strat, also look at the telecaster. I prefer the telecaster neck over the strat.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 06:03 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Can you still find a new MiM for that price?  I bought mine in 2001 for $350.  I think they're over $800 now (it's the "player's" model now instead of the "standard").  Which is crazy.  But the MiM are fantastic.  Yes, the pickups are a little cheaper and sometimes the frets aren't always dressed perfectly.  But I'd say on mine, it's felt the same as an American made.  Frets were perfect, no issues with wiring or hardware.  I swapped the pickguard but otherwise it's stock and going strong over 20 years later! 

I hadn't looked in a while. Looks like they are about 850 at Sweetwater. Still a heck of a deal
Reply/Quote
On a tight budget check out momoprice.com  They're cheap and well regarded for beginners as well as a few advanced players.. 
If you just want to get your fingers wet.. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=625904
They also sell acoustics as well..
Also the best place to buy phone charging cables..great quality and even greater prices. It's the only place I buy them.. I have kelvar coated cables for my shop..Sucker has lasted 2 years so far and step on it every day..not bad for cheap..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Deals are to be found on the used market.

You can go locally with music stores, Craig's List, FaceBook Market Place, or better yet Reverb.com.

https://reverb.com/

If you mess around with the settings/filters on that Reverb site you can set it up for local sellers only.

Also Music-Go-Round is another local used place to even try out different used models.

https://www.musicgoround.com/locations

The only advantage to buying used (obviously lower price) is that some of the guitars are already set-up.

If you don't know what I mean by "set-up", it is that some new guitars don't have string height, intonation, and other adjustments.

Also you might get lucky and some upgrades to the guitar might have been made as well.

Sweetwater.com is the only place I'd buy new guitars online.  They do a much better job at having a ready to play instrument than Musician's Friend or American Musical.  I've heard that they are more particular even receiving stock from guitar company suppliers. The ones that are denied get sent to the others.  So beware if you find a deal elsewhere that there could be issues right out of the box.

As far as guitars go I'd say you can't go wrong with a Strat into a Fender amp as far as beautiful clean tones.  You can always use boost, fuzz, distortion, compression pedals to handle more aggressive sounds for classic rock styles.

Marshall is good for classic rock tones but the clean channel leaves something to be desired.

There's a lot of affordable solid state & modeling amps out there these days but most beginners(and some old schoolers)don't like fiddling with menus and added features.

There's been some good input in this thread already.  Like weight of Les Pauls being heavy(you can get chambered ones that are lighter)and that some Epiphone versions are on point.  I have a 60s tribute Epi that I'd put against any newer Gibson LP's.  It has American Gibson pickups and pots/switches in it.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions as there are several guys in this community who have experience in playing and equipment.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I've been playing guitar since 2008 I believe.

I know you are looking for electric, but the Seagull S-Series acoustic guitars are amazing for the price!

You can get a right handed one for around 300$ USD and a left handed one (I'm a southpaw) for around 400$ USD.

And they sound almost as good as a Martin, for way way cheaper.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Ok, last couple days I've read like a hundred reviews on guitars from several different sites covering all sorts of electrics. And I've came to the conclusion that I'm leaning very hard towards a Fender Player Stratocaster. I'm going to go in a couple days and try and lay my hands on one to be sure.

I must have read two dozen reviews or more on them and guys just go on and on about how nice this guitar is for the money, like $800. Lots of talk about how nice the neck is especially for guys like me with smaller hands. Lightweight, many say you can play almost anything on it and sound good. Rock, country, blues on and on.

Many mention locking tuners as a good upgrade but other than that not much to complain about. Several said they have way more expensive guitars but find themselves picking up this one - a lot.

Many thanks for all the help.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok, last couple days I've read like a hundred reviews on guitars from several different sites covering all sorts of electrics. And I've came to the conclusion that I'm leaning very hard towards a Fender Player Stratocaster. I'm going to go in a couple days and try and lay my hands on one to be sure.

I must have read two dozen reviews or more on them and guys just go on and on about how nice this guitar is for the money, like $800. Lots of talk about how nice the neck is especially for guys like me with smaller hands. Lightweight, many say you can play almost anything on it and sound good. Rock, country, blues on and on.

Many mention locking tuners as a good upgrade but other than that not much to complain about. Several said they have way more expensive guitars but find themselves picking up this one - a lot.

Yes.  Upgrading to locking tuners is a definite plus.  Also blocking the tremolo is something else for tuning stability or going with a hardtail all together.  It's more for leads than a casual rhythm player.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 11:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Ok, last couple days I've read like a hundred reviews on guitars from several different sites covering all sorts of electrics. And I've came to the conclusion that I'm leaning very hard towards a Fender Player Stratocaster. I'm going to go in a couple days and try and lay my hands on one to be sure.

With the exception of the super star professional and ultra wealthy who can afford a vintage instrument, I think the bulk of guitarists will find their favorite guitar to be reasonably priced.  Hell, even some of the super stars have/had cheap instruments.  Look at Eddie Van Halen's Franken Strat, for example.  If he never made it big, that thing wouldn't be worth much.  It doesn't matter what the thing looks like, or how much it costs.  As long as you enjoy playing it and it allows you to shine while doing so, that's all you need!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 10:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I tinkered around with an acoustic guitar in my youth for several years and got I dunno, decent I guess ? Literally like 40 years ago. I just bought a new lower end Fender acoustic oh several months ago and was trying to relearn but my granddaughter basically daughter got sick and has had a time last few months so my practice got put off.

She's getting much better now and I've recently started to practice again. However my old fingers are having a hard time with the string tension. Thye're not taking it very well, haha.

So, I've always wanted to try my hand at electrics and just have never rolled the dice. I've been looking pretty hard at a Gibson les paul tribute and a Fender champion 40 amp. I don't wanna break the bank but I also don't wanna sink big $$$ into something right off the jump.

Does that combo sound like a good start up or would you guys advise something else ?

Well I don't have much advise on Electrics as I am not a vet at that brother. I am acoustic all the way and acoustic/electric
which is completely different than say playing on a Les Paul or Strat. I do have a Strat but I don't ever play it much. Need to 
buy me a new pedal and fix my pickup on my Strat. 

All I know is there are tons of vids on youtube with great guitar players showing you how to play electric that I have been 
wanting to look up and practice myself once I get either my Strat fixed or just buy a better electric which will probably be 
the way I roll. I will get back to you on this one, just have fun for now, guitar is great for you spirit and your soul.

Rock On

BTW, don't buy your guitar on the internet. Play it first, this is my only advise. Play a guitar in a guitar store then buy it.

I bought 2 guitars on the internet and both were ****** up and my Dad and I had to fix them.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 12:42 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I don't have much advise on Electrics as I am not a vet at that brother. I am acoustic all the way and acoustic/electric
which is completely different than say playing on a Les Paul or Strat. I do have a Strat but I don't ever play it much. Need to 
buy me a new pedal and fix my pickup on my Strat. 

All I know is there are tons of vids on youtube with great guitar players showing you how to play electric that I have been 
wanting to look up and practice myself once I get either my Strat fixed or just buy a better electric which will probably be 
the way I roll. I will get back to you on this one, just have fun for now, guitar is great for you spirit and your soul.

Rock On

BTW, don't buy your guitar on the internet. Play it first, this is my only advise. Play a guitar in a guitar store then buy it.

I bought 2 guitars on the internet and both were ****** up and my Dad and I had to fix them.

I used to be that way until I found Sweetwater. They not only put up a stock photo of a guitar, they take detailed pictures of every single guitar they sell from every angle, so you can see the woodgrain you're getting, the serial number, etc. Then they run an inspection on it before they ship it. If you get it and don't like it, return it free with no hassle at all. I've probably bought 7-8 guitars from them, both electric and acoustic. Plus one Mesa Boogie MkV 10/45/90 combo amp with no problem at all. When I bought my MkV, it was a returned item, marked down because it was supposed to have a small scratch on the switchplate. Got a heck of a deal on it, being a returned item. I called them and the salesman went and looked at it, and said otherwise it looked in perfect condition. When it arrived, it was perfect, looked like new and never out of the box, and I still can't see any scratch on it. The reverb did not work though. So, where the reverb plugs in there are two unmarked RCA plugs in the back. I pulled them off and switched them, and the reverb works perfect. I suspect that is why the original buyer sent it back. Saved me 400.00 off new.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I used to be that way until I found Sweetwater. They not only put up a stock photo of a guitar, they take detailed pictures of every single guitar they sell from every angle, so you can see the woodgrain you're getting, the serial number, etc. Then they run an inspection on it before they ship it. If you get it and don't like it, return it free with no hassle at all. I've probably bought 7-8 guitars from them, both electric and acoustic. Plus one Mesa Boogie MkV 10/45/90 combo amp with no problem at all. When I bought my MkV, it was a returned item, marked down because it was supposed to have a small scratch on the switchplate. Got a heck of a deal on it, being a returned item. I called them and the salesman went and looked at it, and said otherwise it looked in perfect condition. When it arrived, it was perfect, looked like new and never out of the box, and I still can't see any scratch on it. The reverb did not work though. So, where the reverb plugs in there are two unmarked RCA plugs in the back. I pulled them off and switched them, and the reverb works perfect. I suspect that is why the original buyer sent it back. Saved me 400.00 off new.

I've not bought a guitar from Sweetwater, but I would without a second thought.  Like Sled says, they sell guitars individually.  Not just by the model and then you get whatever is laying in a warehouse.  My understanding is that you can even choose a specific guitar if you like the finish on one better than another, for example.  Sweetwater has great customer service, too.  I've bought a lot of other things from them, and they seem like just genuinely cool people.  

And I think at least getting your hands on a player model strat is wise.  I think it's an awesome guitar.  Mine has a humbucker in the bridge position (a "fat strat"), but hands down my favorite guitar in my collection. 
Reply/Quote