Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eli Apple
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
The one person we can't seem to get rid of. One of the reasons we've lost so much goodwill with NFL Fandom who once favored this up and coming team over the likes of KC and Buffalo.

Now they root for our demise and highlight Mixon's warrants/raids and our FA losses with glee's and I told you so's..

It all started with one (bad) Apple.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 04:58 PM)Trademark Wrote:
Such a great start to the free agency period! Lost two top end safeties, a solid RB2 and a decent TE, what a groundbreaking resigning! "KeEp oUr oWn"

CryCry
Reply/Quote
Eh...Apple is actually better than many think.
Reply/Quote
Corner is a premium position. Can never have enough corners.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eh...Apple is actually better than many think.

True, but Apple isn't the only cherry delight that was left in the night and gave up without a fight, either.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Corner is a premium position. Can never have enough corners.

Exactly, and Apple was a big part of the last two years.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Corner is a premium position. Can never have enough corners.

im good with keeping Apple , tall, good corners are always needed but the issue is we are not improving and only degrading so far.
Reply/Quote
He did play far better than expected when Chido went down, but we can't keep gambling that playing him won't catch up to us. He is the known weak link. We may be taking one too many bites of this Apple.

Going to the well one too many times is a saying for a reason. Sooner or later it will catch up to you. I guess we have to hope it's not 2023.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly, and Apple was a big part of the last two years.

He was CB1 on a team that won 10 straight last year and came within a whisker of beating Mahommes (again) despite losing 60% of our OL & Boyd. 

He isn't perfect, and I'd wish he'd STFU sometimes, but I certainly feel better about CB now that he is back. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: He did play far better than expected when Chido went down, but we can't keep gambling that playing him won't catch up to us. He is the known weak link. We may be taking one too many bites of this Apple.

Going to the well one too many times is a saying for a reason. Sooner or later it will catch up to you. I guess we have to hope it's not 2023.

I see it as insurance in-case Chido isn't ready and not forcing a rookie into that spot. If Chido is ready you have a good experienced number 4 corner. Also Corner is one of the position groups that see more injuries than most. This was a smart move.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
What is certain is that unless it fits the wish list of the couch GM masses it will not be a good move. I am not an Eli Apple fan but that does not change that he has had some key moments for the Bengals over the last two seasons and was a part of the success they had especially after Chido was injured. Because he is re-signed does not mean he makes the roster or keeps them from bringing in other corners. It simply locks up a piece that has been a part of their defense in two big playoff runs.

Why do we keep hearing about Bates in these threads like it was some surprise? He was not coming back which is why the drafted Hill. He was gone before it was ever officially stated. I like Vonn Bell but he obviously wanted dollar more than rings. That is disappointing but people griping about him not being re-signed may want to consider extensions for Burrow, Higgins, Chase, Wilson, and others. They all will come with a price and putting themselves in position to make these happen is the responsible thing to do.

The key piece needed to return on defense was Pratt and they got it done.
Reply/Quote
Apple isn’t the reason people turned against us ***** behave LOL

People turned against us because we aren’t the yappy little under dogs anymore.

You need a player like him on your team who gets chippy and gives opposition players to focus their hate on and maybe take their eye off the ball.

We’ve got (hopefully) a fully fit Chido and CTB as starters Eli is a good bench player and we are probably going to draft a corner.

Solid move, now to replace what we’ve lost and add some more
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He was CB1 on a team that won 10 straight last year and came within a whisker of beating Mahommes (again) despite losing 60% of our OL & Boyd. 

He isn't perfect, and I'd wish he'd STFU sometimes, but I certainly feel better about CB now that he is back. 

I wish he'd just STFU from beginning to the end of the season. I don't even know why he talks smack, as he's really not THAT good, and virtually everyone seems to delight in watching him get burned on coverage when he does get rinsed.

...That said, if it wasn't for his smack talk, I think a lot of people here would be a little higher on him than we are. He's always seen as some eternal liability, but he's really not that bad. 
Reply/Quote
Apple’s fine. Although I’d guess we were bidding against ourselves.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
While this tweet is hardly an official announcement of us bringing Apple back, if it were the case I'd be happy. Apple was a fine player last year. He won't have to be CB1 in 2023 like he was for a lot of 2022 and we still got very far with him in that role. He had a few ugly plays and is a terrible personality to have on the team when it comes to goodwill from other fanbases, but I'm kind of over that shit at this point. Hate us if you want. We're going for that Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
If Apple plays like he has the last 2 years for the bargain price he usually demands, I think it's great to have him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 05:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: The one person we can't seem to get rid of. One of the reasons we've lost so much goodwill with NFL Fandom who once favored this up and coming team over the likes of KC and Buffalo.

Now they root for our demise and highlight Mixon's warrants/raids and our FA losses with glee's and I told you so's..

It all started with one (bad) Apple.

Who cares what other teams fans think?

They want us to lose because over the last 2 years we’ve made the AFC our *****. Duh they hate him .

Let Burrow win another AFC championship i bet they turn on him too
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Im happy with this. I know half of you hate this
Reply/Quote
Good signing , did not want to get thinner on our backend
Reply/Quote