Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Eli Apple
(05-02-2023, 02:39 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: So the draft is over do we re-sign Apple? Mellow

I’d invite him to camp

Awuzie, CTB, Turner, Hilton and Sidney Jones are probably the guys. 1 more guy will likely make the team putting us at 6 corners. I guess if Apple will sign for cheap I’d have him and he’d probably take Sidney’s spot on the depth chart but i don’t really see the point in giving a guy 3M to be your 3rd CB off the bench.

But then again we’ve needed him every year because of injuries and we kinda know what we are getting with him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 02:50 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d invite him to camp

Awuzie, CTB, Turner, Hilton and Sidney Jones are probably the guys. 1 more guy will likely make the team putting us at 6 corners. I guess if Apple will sign for cheap I’d have him and he’d probably take Sidney’s spot on the depth chart but i don’t really see the point in giving a guy 3M to be your 3rd CB off the bench.

But then again we’ve needed him every year because of injuries and we kinda know what we are getting with him.

I think we should re-sign him for depth. I think there will be times when our CB's will be out and we will need him. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the priority will be getting Burrow/Higgins/Wilson extensions done. We have around $16+ mil in cap space, according to my calculations. Burrow ($7.5) and Higgins ($5) have pro-rated signing bonuses that eat a chunk of that (guessing on the numbers). Throw in, say, $3 mil for Wilson, and it is all gone.

If we get all three done, we are right at the cap. Maybe we can open up a bit more with Collins on PUP & a move here or there, but it won't be a ton. If all 3 get extended, we probably roll with what we have. If one falls through, we'll have some $$ to use on vets one 1 year deals. Apple & a QB would be at the top of my list.

The CB room is: Awuzie (inj), CTB, Hilton, Turner, S. Jones, J. Davis, Ivey, George, and Tell. That is 9. Plus Hill can play some slot, but is starting at FS. We usually go with 4 boundary guys and 2 slots.

Starters: Chido, CTB, and Hilton (slot). Chido on schedule to be good to go was a great update. While we think Turner has some slot characteristics (he is smaller), he's overwhelmingly played outside, as I understand it. He is CB4 and the first boundary corner off the bench in nickel. All 4 are stone cold roster locks.

The #4 boundary corner role and backup slot ate where the competition lies. Jones has real NFL experience at corner and some pretty well regarded PFF seasons. 51.3 last year was poor, 70.3 in 2021, 68.1 in 2020, 63.5 in 2019). The only year he played more than 321 snaps was 2021. Jones has played some slot, but has mostly been an outside corner, and has had a lot of injuries over his career, 8ncluding an Achilles that caused his draft slot to drop.

Davis is a straight slot guy we re-signed this year to a two year deal.

IDK much about the outside/slot distribution of the other guys. But, realistically, Ivey, George & Tell are competing with Davis for the last spot, maybe best case with Jones, but are most likely PS guys. In any event, none have started a Super Bowl. Apple is a big upgrade from them.

Likely Jones as well. Eli is durable. And maybe even Turner for his rookie year. The question is is this where we want to spend the last bulit of cap space? How the extensions go, what other vets are available, and what Eli will sign for all factor in.
Reply/Quote
What are the chances that the report his antics soured the coaching staff but perhaps waiting and signing him late and for less than he probably wanted as a lesson he needs to calm down or there won’t be room for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 06:23 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What are the chances that the report his antics soured the coaching staff but perhaps waiting and signing him late and for less than he probably wanted as a lesson he needs to calm down or there won’t be room for him.

He definitely soured some people with his antics, but it's never been revealed who he soured the most. I feel like if the FO liked him, then he would've been re-signed instead of us signing Sydney Jones

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 06:23 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What are the chances that the report his antics soured the coaching staff but perhaps waiting and signing him late and for less than he probably wanted as a lesson he needs to calm down or there won’t be room for him.

He might be trying to get a better deal somewhere.

I would be surprised if hes not on a roster by time the season starts
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 02:50 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d invite him to camp

My opinion is if you could get him for $3 million you take it.  The anti-Apple on this board is bizarre.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My opinion is if you could get him for $3 million you take it.  The anti-Apple on this board is bizarre.  

I definitely not against Apple.

The room is just crowded right now.

The one thing helping Apples case is he’s been a reserve Cb the last 2 years and started due to injury. So if I’m him i don’t come here for less than 4 Million but no way we are offering that especially seeing we signed Sidney Jones to be reserve CB
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:42 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He definitely soured some people with his antics, but it's never been revealed who he soured the most. I feel like if the FO liked him, then he would've been re-signed instead of us signing Sydney Jones

Ehhh i just think it’s the same case as the last 2 years. We are waiting to see what we get and who we love before signing him. I’m thinking the DJ Turner draft pick basically screwed Apple. Idc how bad Turner plays to start , no way I’m playing Apple over DJ.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 02:42 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He definitely soured some people with his antics, but it's never been revealed who he soured the most. I feel like if the FO liked him, then he would've been re-signed instead of us signing Sydney Jones.

You have to take prior injuries into account with Sidney Jones though...

Still think we are the main team Eli would go to if any, he is our kind of asshole and he soured the rest of the league more than us.

(05-03-2023, 12:53 PM)Housh Wrote: Ehhh i just think it’s the same case as the last 2 years. We are waiting to see what we get and who we love before signing him. I’m thinking the DJ Turner draft pick basically screwed Apple. Idc how bad Turner plays to start , no way I’m playing Apple over DJ.

I can understand that, DJ Turner is special. Would be awesome to get him some snaps early in his career. I just think Apple's price
will go down big time and he will want to sign somewhere, and probably we are the most likely even with the Sid and DJ additions.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:52 PM)Housh Wrote: I definitely not against Apple.

The room is just crowded right now.

The one thing helping Apples case is he’s been a reserve Cb the last 2 years and started due to injury. So if I’m him i don’t come here for less than 4 Million but no way we are offering that especially seeing we signed Sidney Jones to be reserve CB

No not you specifically. The top corners are making around $20 million. Eli for three or four is a steal
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I am not sure paying your #5 CB $3-$4 mil is something we are gonna do.

I like Eli more than most. But we drafted 2 corners this year, and re-signed Davis. If I had to bet, I'd bet he is not back. Is he gonna be happy being CB#5?

I think Awuzie, CTB, Hilton, Turner, Apple, Jones/Davis is our strongest room.

I think OG and TE would rate above CB right now on my list. But Eli might be the best available FA,at those spots left. Since comp. picks & the draft are done, I expect a rash of FA signings.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My opinion is if you could get him for $3 million you take it.  The anti-Apple on this board is bizarre.  

I'm not sure there's room for Apple now with DJ Turner and Sidney Jones.
Eli Apple hasn't played much ST since leaving the Giants, and the 6th CB would need to do that.
The only thing I could see with adding Apple is basically giving a clear definition that he and Sidney Jones are competing for the same spot on the roster. Whoever wins stays, the other is released.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2023, 12:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure there's room for Apple now with DJ Turner and Sidney Jones.
Eli Apple hasn't played much ST since leaving the Giants, and the 6th CB would need to do that.
The only thing I could see with adding Apple is basically giving a clear definition that he and Sidney Jones are competing for the same spot on the roster. Whoever wins stays, the other is released.

I could see the open competition between Sid and Eli myself and it makes sense with Sid's injury problems.

Eli WILL NOT fetch a lot of money, he has turned a lot of people off across the league and even as Michaelsean says on this board.

But not with the team. He would come back for cheap to compete and he is really good for a backup Corner and helped us out big 
time when Awuzie went down last year. I would expect us to reward him for this by giving him a shot. Any other team? I would be 
surprised. Just the social media bed he made. Shit in his own mess kit as you could say...
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 12:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: My opinion is if you could get him for $3 million you take it.  The anti-Apple on this board is bizarre.  

For sure

Apple is not an all star corner, to say the least. But he's not anywhere close to as bad as some on here portray him to be. They see Apple get toasted on one play and ignore the fact that he did pretty well against higher end WR's on 6 other plays that series.

EVERY CB to ever play the game gets burnt on occasion, period. He's beyond proven he's a decent backup. If we could get him back on a team friendly deal I'd do it in a heartbeat. 
Reply/Quote

I am anti-Apple because he's a turd and I don't like him as a Week 1 starter, but if you can get him for 1yr/$3m, I would still take him as CB depth. Injuries happen because it's the NFL and if it's an outside CB, I don't want Jalen Davis or Allen George on the field.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
$3 mil would be more than any backup on the team made last year or the year before. And he would be a secondary backuo, not even next man up.

That price is probably too high.
Reply/Quote
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/30/bengals-interest-resigning-eli-apple/
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They just don't have the safety net (literally) to help Eli anymore (and if they do they are unproven and haven't gained that confidence).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote