Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Elliot struggled again today in the scrimmage
(08-07-2017, 12:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: We should already know what we have in Bullock. Just let Elliott take the kicks in pre season and see how he does. I hated the pick but there's nothing we can do about it now. Like another poster said, we may have made a bad pick with Elliott, so let's not make another by keeping him just because he was a 5th round pick. He's a 5th round pick that should have never happened. Give him the reps, if he dosent kill it in the pre season, cut your losses and move on.

If we don't give bullock a real shot to kick then we will have a hard time signing veteran kickers in the future. Besides one kicker would get worn out.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 03:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would think that the kicker Elliott would have to miss egregiously during the preseason for him not to make the team. It is not Mike Brown style to draft a 5th rounder and cut him, he simply does not do this.

With that said, I have to trust coach Simmons on this one in drafting Elliot in the 5th round.  It still bothers me they did not take Gonzalez but I just have to trust the coaches on this one.
I know Elliott has a good demeanor and Missed kicks does not get under his skin.

I agree w/ you 100%...
it's just that I trust the numbers usually....I thought Gonzales would be the pick....but not in d #5....but whatever...
Elliot could come a great kicker for us but ....we'll see....
also watch Gonzalez for the browns...
see how the numbers add up....
Reply/Quote
Well, last night's battle was fun to watch. If we take the names out of it and look at it more objectively...

Current 1st String Kicker: 2/2 FGs (54 yards & 49 yards); 1/1 PAT; 1 Touchback

Current Back-up Kicker: 1/1 FG (45 yards); 1/1 PAT; 1 Touchback (and 1 mis-hit/shanked kickoff)
Reply/Quote
Regardless who we keep we are better off that last year and better off than Tampa Bay that just cut the 2nd rounder.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 02:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless who we keep we are better off that last year and better off than Tampa Bay that just cut the 2nd rounder.

That didn't take long.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 02:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless who we keep we are better off that last year and better off than Tampa Bay that just cut the 2nd rounder.

Agreed!  Amen to that.  If they can cut a Kicker as a 2nd Round Pick, I wouldn't think any other teams would think twice about cutting a 5th round guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 01:48 PM)BoBengal Wrote: Well, last night's battle was fun to watch. If we take the names out of it and look at it more objectively...

Current 1st String Kicker: 2/2 FGs (54 yards & 49 yards); 1/1 PAT; 1 Touchback

Current Back-up Kicker: 1/1 FG (45 yards); 1/1 PAT; 1 Touchback (and 1 mis-hit/shanked kickoff)

What part of, "Jesus Christ... what are you, his mother?" don't you get?

I have always pimped my guys, but this is ridiculous.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

That's crazy. Every time I see this stuff I thank God we have Mike, Duke, and Marvin running our draft.
Reply/Quote
Update from our Dayton Daily News: http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/observations-from-bengals-training-camp/pOMHIiac76bEOZc4NdcEeJ/

Quote:That makes this final observation article from the 2017 training camp:

Elliott erratic

The kicker competition has been too close to call since the Bengals drafted Jake Elliott in the fifth round in April. But incumbent Randy Bullock slight’s lead grew considerably Wednesday when his went 4 for 4 while Elliott was 1 of 4.

Bullock was good from 45, 53, 50 and 54 yards, while Elliott missed wide right from 45 and 53 before hitting from 50 and missing from 54.

On the 54-yarder — with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis declaring “this is the game winner” with it being the final activity of practice — the Bengals coaches pulled out the icing trick where they blow the play dead before the kicker strikes the ball. Elliott went through with the kick and missed wide left. On the next try, the one that counted, he was wide right.

Bullock also missed from 50 when the coaches iced him, but he came back and hit the one that counted.

Heading into the Chiefs game Saturday night, this appears to be Bullock’s job to lose.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:14 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: And I'm saying Elliott broke all, or most of, Stephen Gostkowski's records at college, and Gostkowski is one of the best.  So let's give him a chance.  

we are giving him a chance but he has to win the job not be given the job
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:59 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: All that tells me is that bullock may be the lesser of two evils. Draft pick or not, if Bullock out-performs Elliott over the next month, and we keep Elliott simply because he was a draft pick, I will be pissed... Off. The best man after preseason games are over should be given the job. Simple as that. 

Now will it play out that way? Probably not... It is hard for me to see Mike Brown parting with a newly acquired 5th round draft pick. If Elliott gets his s*** together and lights it up in the preseason camp, then we'll have nothing to worry about (maybe).

this is a bit unique though.. we are not going to carry 2 kickers so this is not a normal position draft pick in 5th round.. where you can carry extra players at those other drafted positions
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we are giving him a chance but he has to win the job not be given the job
Agreed. It shouldn't matter when he was drafted. If bullock is the better kicker after the preseason, you gotta roll with him. I just hope the team sees it that way... 

(08-16-2017, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is a bit unique though.. we are not going to carry 2 kickers so this is not a normal position draft pick in 5th round.. where you can carry extra players at those other drafted positions

It is a unique pick. Probably the most unique 5th round pick in years. But I agree, the best man after these next few games should have the job. He'll have earned it. Drafted or not, if Elliott loses the camp battle he should go. But again... I don't exactly trust this team to do the right thing.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:37 PM)BoBengal Wrote: Update from our Dayton Daily News:  http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/observations-from-bengals-training-camp/pOMHIiac76bEOZc4NdcEeJ/

Hated this pick the second they made it.

The sad part is, he's going to make the team regardless and Bullock will be cut. Bullock was a FA and can be cut with $0 in dead cap space. Meanwhile Elliott was just chosen in the 5th round and will create $277k in dead cap space if they cut him.

I just can't imagine Mike Brown letting a guy not make the roster and instead eating a 5th round pick and $277k.

Then we're going to be right back in the situation we were last year, with a team that's capable of making the playoffs, but being held back and made a losing team by a shitty OL and a shitty kicker.

Not to mention the ultimate salt in the wounds: The freaking BROWNS will make us look stupid by getting a better kicker two rounds later.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Neither one missed a kick in preseason so far. So there's a positive.

Let them battle. Elliot has a strong leg and I think that's why they're putting him out near the 50's. Which i like.

Whoever wins, wins.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 02:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hated this pick the second they made it.

The sad part is, he's going to make the team regardless and Bullock will be cut. Bullock was a FA and can be cut with $0 in dead cap space. Meanwhile Elliott was just chosen in the 5th round and will create $277k in dead cap space if they cut him.

I just can't imagine Mike Brown letting a guy not make the roster and instead eating a 5th round pick and $277k.

Then we're going to be right back in the situation we were last year, with a team that's capable of making the playoffs, but being held back and made a losing team by a shitty OL and a shitty kicker.

Not to mention the ultimate salt in the wounds: The freaking BROWNS will make us look stupid by getting a better kicker two rounds later.
So many complained the last few years has been no kicking competition so now we have kicking competition and people are complaining as far as cutting the fifth round pick its unique fifth round pick because it's a kicker you're not going to keep two kickers so far after one preseason game both of kick well and review say they've kicked pretty well in the practices nowhere do I see a bust in the kicker what I see is competition which many people have bitched about, they may go with the younger kicker if it's a close competition it makes sense they might see that person is more upside that's why the veteran does have an uphill battle not because of cap space,
Reply/Quote
Would the Bengals keep a PK on the PS ?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 02:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hated this pick the second they made it.

I also wanted Gonzalez not Elliot but whatever....just hope the browns don't beat us this year b/c of field goals if we keep Elliot...
  I also said early on that I didn't think Elliot would win the job over Bullock.....
but I love this team so whatever decision they make I won't jump off the bus...
I've decided to step back & just watch the competition...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is a bit unique though.. we are not going to carry 2 kickers so this is not a normal position draft pick in 5th round.. where you can carry extra players at those other drafted positions

What we're getting with Bullock is an average kicker who hasn't played a full season since 2014. Looks at his stats. They aren't great.  I would rather go with the talented rookie. If we cut a potential star and he is picked up by someone else, it will be a huge mistake.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 04:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's crazy.   Every time I see this stuff I thank God we have Mike, Duke, and Marvin running our draft.

I know, right?  And how about we all realize by now that Simmons knows what he's doing?  
Reply/Quote

What makes you think Elliott is a shitty kicker? One bad practice?  And why don't you think Simmons knows more about our kicking needs than you do? He drafted Elliott for a reason.
Reply/Quote