Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid is visiting the Bengals
I think there are a few things going on here:

1. Nobody knows the price he's asking. I know he said he would return to SF on a $5 million deal, but that doesn't mean that he isn't asking for more to switch teams.

2. If he can't give a straight answer about his intentions to protest, than that tells me that he isn't comfortable discussing that with a new team's owner. That in itself is a red flag. If a guy can't be straight forward about what he plans on doing, than how can the team be straight forward about offering him a contract?

3. You know damn well the Bengals are NEVER active in 1st tier free agents (and he is a first tier guy at S, he just hasn't received an offer). There's no doubt in my mind that the Bengals talked to his agent and offered him much less than $5 million.
Reply/Quote
This also sets the tone for some of the other safeties like Boston or Vaccaro to look to settle early before the market gets smaller post-draft. The Bengals are in a good spot if Reid is playing chicken.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 02:01 PM)phil413 Wrote: This also sets the tone for some of the other safeties like Boston or Vaccaro to look to settle early before the market gets smaller post-draft.  The Bengals are in a good spot if Reid is playing chicken.

How does this set any sort of "tone" for other safeties, and make them look to settle early?  The time for "settling early" is past, free agency is a month old.  Most teams have already spent most of what they are going to spend on bringing in free agents.  

I'm not so sure about the Bengals being in a good spot, or about Reid playing "chicken".  Seems to me that Reid and the team management didn't favor one another.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How does this set any sort of "tone" for other safeties, and make them look to settle early?  The time for "settling early" is past, free agency is a month old.  Most teams have already spent most of what they are going to spend on bringing in free agents.  

I'm not so sure about the Bengals being in a good spot, or about Reid playing "chicken".  Seems to me that Reid and the team management didn't favor one another.

Yeah, I don't see Reid signing.   We're really not a match made in heaven.
Reply/Quote
damn really wanted. Williams just stinks as I'm typing this I'm watching Williams miss another tackle against the Ravens. yes I'm watching NFL network. well it's Mike Brown's team he could do as he pleases
Reply/Quote
Still don't understand why they handed Williams a contract extension before he was even tested as a starter. Especially given his lack of play time on his rookie deal. As much as I slam the front office, typically they are smarter than this.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 03:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I just read an article that made it sound as if Son of Paul didn't like the answer that he received after asking Ried about the anthem.
Wish he would just stay the hell away...like really away... "To the moon"!

Cant blame Mike on this one...  Reid didn't give him an answer.  Which means hes already backing away from words he spoke earlier in the offseason.

If Reid cant commit to doing what the boss wants the boss cant commit to paying him...(really just about an hopeful employee)
Reply/Quote
I cannot fault the FO or Lewis on this one. They want football players and less drama. Given the Bengals history of past drama with Johnson, Dillon, Henry, and others, I am supporting this move. I like Boston as well.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 04:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: So we start 3 strong safety's (not start, but they are all SS)? This doesn't solve our need for a traditional FS.

Ultimately, although he would be an upgrade at SS, he is nonetheless, a SS.

If a trade can be made with Seattle for Thomas..... 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 03:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Just take your sorry butt back to Cali with the rest of the nuts..... don't let the door hit ya.....
[Image: 21b.jpg]

Have you ever been to the West Coast? It’s far more enjoyable than Ohio (or all the Midwest for that matter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 09:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you ever been to the West Coast? It’s far more enjoyable than Ohio (or all the Midwest for that matter).

the weather is great, beaches n mountains n lucky for me I live in Orange county where it's pricy but away from all the ********.   but if rather live in Cincy than Frisco if I was reid 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Makes you wonder why PFT even brought it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/about/advertising/
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 11:21 PM)Benton Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/about/advertising/

Wouldn't it be ironic if he ends up a Patriot...Hmmm
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 09:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Have you ever been to the West Coast? It’s far more enjoyable than Ohio (or all the Midwest for that matter).

Which is why record numbers are fleeing the state. Yeah, great weather.... AFWIW, his 5 million there would probably net him the same as 3 million here due to the taxes.....
Reply/Quote
SunsetBengal Wrote:How does this set any sort of "tone" for other safeties, and make them look to settle early?  The time for "settling early" is past, free agency is a month old.  Most teams have already spent most of what they are going to spend on bringing in free agents.  

You said it yourself, most teams have spent what they're going to spend.  So, the remaining FA's already have that strike against them, and more jobs filled by the draft = less opportunities to be given playing time to showcase themselves for a long term deal.  There are enough safeties for Cincy to pick from to at least be vet depth for cheap, and they could still justify taking one if the pick is right.  To me, they're in a good spot. 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 04:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Cant blame Mike on this one...  Reid didn't give him an answer.  Which means hes already backing away from words he spoke earlier in the offseason.

If Reid cant commit to doing what the boss wants the boss cant commit to paying him...(really just about an hopeful employee)

(04-11-2018, 06:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I cannot fault the FO or Lewis on this one.  They want football players and less drama.  Given the Bengals history of past drama with Johnson, Dillon, Henry, and others, I am supporting this move.  I like Boston as well.

I agree with you guys, Reid sure sounds like a dude that could mess up team chemistry and i like Boston way more anyways.

Better in coverage and more of a ballhawk and no drama.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 07:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why record numbers are fleeing the state. Yeah, great weather.... AFWIW, his 5 million there would probably net him the same as 3 million here due to the taxes.....

Cali is a mess man.

People are moving from Cali to Wyoming in droves.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 01:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cali is a mess man.

People are moving from Cali to Wyoming in droves.

I live in Washington and for some reason, Wyoming is calling me, however the wife is a beach girl and won't move. Might have to come visit ya!
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2018, 06:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I cannot fault the FO or Lewis on this one.  They want football players and less drama.  

Fake News.

Shall we review two of their "top" free agent signings?

Baker
Hart

Both cut for being locker room cancers.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If ya don't mind me askin';  What do you do out there?  Are you a rancher?

Rancher, Carpenter, Landscaper, Musician, Herbalist and just grow stuff brother...

Great life. Cool
Reply/Quote