Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid is visiting the Bengals
(04-10-2018, 01:51 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I hope Hobson is wrong,if he visits other places he will get away from us.

Free agency has been open for weeks.  If he was in high demand he would be signed already.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 12:49 AM)Shady Wrote: For what its worth, here's their pff scores and ranking

Reid 81 #30
Williams 79  #40
Iloka 77  #45

I would never have thought Reid would be our 3rd best safety so that concerns me. I know PFF is loved by some and hated by others, Each team has 2 starting safeties so not being in top 64 is alarmingly bad at #81 and worse than Williams.

The sad part is we already pay our 2 guys above the average so not only that not a bargain, they are not that good so to add a 3rd expensive option may be a bad move.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 12:49 AM)Shady Wrote: For what its worth, here's their pff scores and ranking

Reid 81 #30
Williams 79  #40
Iloka 77  #45

(04-10-2018, 10:49 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would never have thought Reid would be our 3rd best safety so that concerns me. I know PFF is loved by some and hated by others, Each team has 2 starting safeties so not being in top 64 is alarmingly bad at #81 and worse than Williams.

The sad part is we already pay our 2 guys above the average so not only that not a bargain, they are not that good so to add a 3rd expensive option may be a bad move.

I think you might be misinterpreting what he is showing you.  The first number is the PFF score, the second is where they rank among all Safeties.

That would make Reid our best Safety.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 10:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think you might be misinterpreting what he is showing you.  The first number is the PFF score, the second is where they rank among all Safeties.

That would make Reid our best Safety.

TY for the clarification, I obviously misread that one so feel much better now and hope we go for it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
OT/G Bobby Hart
DT Chris Baker
OT Cordy Glenn
QB Matt Barkley
LB Preston Brown
TE Tyler Eifert

If we add S Eric Reid to the list, how does that reshape our needs/priorities in the draft?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:10 AM)Big Boss Wrote: OT/G Bobby Hart
DT Chris Baker
OT Cordy Glenn
QB Matt Barkley
LB Preston Brown
TE Tyler Eifert

If we add S Eric Reid to the list, how does that reshape our needs/priorities in the draft?

It allows the team to be able to take a great player that may fall to them, without being so handcuffed by immediate need at given positions.  (except for Center, of course)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It allows the team to be able to take a great player that may fall to them, without being so handcuffed by immediate need at given positions.  (except for Center, of course)

What does suck with this list is everyone except for Glenn and Matt Barkley is on just a 1-year deal. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Reid also would be a 1-year contract too. Because of all those 1-year contracts, I don't think it could necessarily change the draft plans a lot. We've seen the Bengals draft players at what we considered deep positions because of starters in contract years or even 2 years away from FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:10 AM)Big Boss Wrote: OT/G Bobby Hart
DT Chris Baker
OT Cordy Glenn
QB Matt Barkley
LB Preston Brown
TE Tyler Eifert

I think it allows them to draft for the future which the really like to do.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What does suck with this list is everyone except for Glenn and Matt Barkley is on just a 1-year deal. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Reid also would be a 1-year contract too. Because of all those 1-year contracts, I don't think it could necessarily change the draft plans a lot. We've seen the Bengals draft players at what we considered deep positions because of starters in contract years or even 2 years away from FA.

The way I see it, those one year deals are by design, like insurance policies.  Now, rather than being forced to look at filling all of those positions, they have the luxury of being able to take what falls to them.  More than likely, someone in one of those positions being "band-aided" by a player on a one deal, that the Bengals really want, is going to be there.  Hard to predict what position, and which prospect.

I don't mind the guys on one year deals.  It seems smart and proactive, rather than just gambling it all on the draft, and hoping it all works out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The way I see it, those one year deals are by design, like insurance policies.  Now, rather than being forced to look at filling all of those positions, they have the luxury of being able to take what falls to them.  More than likely, someone in one of those positions being "band-aided" by a player on a one deal, that the Bengals really want, is going to be there.  Hard to predict what position, and which prospect.

I don't mind the guys on one year deals.  It seems smart and proactive, rather than just gambling it all on the draft, and hoping it all works out.

This.....you can always ink another deal if it works out.

As for the news of the day......I'd be game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: My guess is that they hope to be able to free up some cap space after the draft. For example, if one of the top DE’s fall to them at 21, maybe they grab him and cut Micheal Johnson. Now all the sudden you can afford Reid.

Or what if Derwin James is somehow there at 21? Or Ronnie Harrison is there at 46? Then maybe you don’t need Reid?

Lots of variables. And my guess is money is the number one variable.

This all makes sense.

(04-09-2018, 08:30 PM)Domata94 Wrote: I agree but I'm wondering if it has to do with affecting their compensatory picks for 2019. Shortly after the draft, any free agents signed don't have any affect on compensatory draft picks, whereas if they signed him now it would take away a possible pick. The Bengals seem to go after those picks every year.

That being said, none of the Bengals free agents signed any huge contracts this offseason and they only look to only be in line for some 6th round picks based on this site.
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

There's been a lot of talk about the soft free agency market for safeties this offseason; I wonder how much signing Reid would cost... it could potentially be a bargain signing for a decent player. 

Yep comp picks too are a reason as we know how MB loves those babies.

(04-09-2018, 08:54 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This is their strategy and it’s a dumb one. Either you like Reid enough to sign him now, or you just plan on drafting a safety high. Hedging your bets that he’s going to be around in 3 weeks is silly. So far this is his first official visit, but i doubt we’re the first team to show interest. Clearly Reid is interested in being here. When Hobson writes stuff like this it really makes me despise the guy.

I am hoping Sunset is correct and it is agreeing to a deal in principle.

(04-09-2018, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They could always go the route of "agreeing to a deal in principle", and hope that he doesn't shop it with other teams.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The way I see it, those one year deals are by design, like insurance policies.  Now, rather than being forced to look at filling all of those positions, they have the luxury of being able to take what falls to them.  More than likely, someone in one of those positions being "band-aided" by a player on a one deal, that the Bengals really want, is going to be there.  Hard to predict what position, and which prospect.

Plus you get to look at the player in stripes and see if they are worth an extension.

Lots of us didn't like Minter on a one year deal last year and wanted it to be for a few years.

That ended up being the right decision just signing him for one year.
Reply/Quote
From what i read from Jim O it looks like we were just kicking tires and looking for alternative plans after the draft so it doesn’t look like we’ll land him anyway
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
I am hoping that this year they do not follow their usual "draft for the future BPA" philosophy and instead finish the Offensive Line rebuild. We can get our Center and RT in the first two rounds - after that they can do whatever pleases them :)
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 02:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: I am hoping that this year they do not follow their usual "draft for the future BPA" philosophy and instead finish the Offensive Line rebuild. We can get our Center and RT in the first two rounds - after that they can do whatever pleases them :)

What would you like better Joelist?

1st - Isiaah Wynn OG/OT Georgia
2nd - Frank Ragnow C Arkansas
3rd - Rasheem Green DE USC
3rd - Shaqueem Griffin LB UCF

Or...

1st - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
2nd - Billy Price C OSU
3rd - Lorenzo Carter LB/DE Georgia
3rd - Jessie Bates III FS Wake Forest
Reply/Quote
Probably McGlinchey and Ragnow, as Price is injured. After that I would target FS and LB.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 02:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: I am hoping that this year they do not follow their usual "draft for the future BPA" philosophy and instead finish the Offensive Line rebuild. We can get our Center and RT in the first two rounds - after that they can do whatever pleases them :)

yeah but if they have to reach far for either of those positions because the preimer players are gone.. Id prefer the get the best talent we have holes and needed upgrades elsewhere as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 03:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: Probably McGlinchey and Ragnow, as Price is injured. After that I would target FS and LB.

Awesome, this then...

1st round - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
2nd round - Frank Ragnow C Arkansas
3rd round - Jessie Bates III FS Wake Forest
3rd round - Shaqueem Griffin LB UCF

I think i like this the best myself. Smirk

Still think we need an End but this is not the best Draft for Ends, can survive one more year.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Awesome, this then...

1st round - Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
2nd round - Frank Ragnow C Arkansas
3rd round - Jessie Bates III FS Wake Forest
3rd round - Shaqueem Griffin LB UCF

I think i like this the best myself. Smirk

Still think we need an End but this is not the best Draft for Ends, can survive one more year.

I don't think we get an OT in round 1 love the mock though.....   I think maybe we grab a project like Cappa  in the 3rd.   and get a defensive player in round 1.  but all depends on how the cards fall on draft day.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2018, 06:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't think we get an OT in round 1 love the mock though.....   I think maybe we grab a project like Cappa  in the 3rd.   and get a defensive player in round 1.  but all depends on how the cards fall on draft day.

Yeah, i am kind of thinking the same. Hobspin sure is talking up the DT's, kind of surprises me with us signing Baker and
Billings and Glasgow in the wings. But hey wouldn't hate it if we took Payne or Hurst that is for sure if they don't think
Billings or Glasgow will improve enough. DE is also a thought with Landry or Davenport.

Could see a CB as always too.

I would like Cappa or my guy Tyrell Crosby in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote