Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erickson over Ross
Personally I have been of the opinion that Erickson should get a chance to have a bigger role in the passing game, because I think he can succeed in a 3rd to 4th receiver role. Unfortunately for him, he has AJ, Boyd, Ross, Eifert in front of him.

So last night I saw someone post about replacing Ross with Erickson. Ross was just a non-factor with 1 catch. Last week he had 1 catch, for a TD. Our top 10 pick from last year has 2 catches on the season so far, which I guess is 2 more than last year, so babysteps?

My proposal agrees. AJ and Boyd on the 'outside', cementing #1 and #2 receivers. Erickson named slot as the #3 receiver to work the middle and go up against linebackers and whoever to find those softspots in the defense. He can't be worse than Ross by any means, and if anything there is imo a really good chance he can succeed.

ps. Though doubtful this happens, hope Ross can do something eventually.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Boyd plays inside normally on 3 wide sets with Ross to the outside. Erickson isn't an outside WR, he is a back up to Boyd in the slot.
Reply/Quote
Ross isn’t going to get any better sitting on the bench.

Let’s see if Lazor can get him more involved. That doesn’t mean trying a reverse with him every single game.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ross isn’t going to get any better sitting on the bench.

Let’s see if Lazor can get him more involved. That doesn’t mean trying a reverse with him every single game.

The reverse, even if not working, is about holding the flow of the linebackers. If they have to worry about ti they can't commit to the run. Sometimes even a play that doesn't work helps other plays. 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: The reverse, even if not working, is about holding the flow of the linebackers. If they have to worry about ti they can't commit to the run. Sometimes even a play that doesn't work helps other plays. 

Doesn’t help the kid confidence wise though. And we know he was in a bad place mentally last year. We need positive plays to get him going.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t help the kid confidence wise though. And we know he was in a bad place mentally last year. We need positive plays to get him going.

He know what his role is in doing this is, just like the rest of the room during the install phase where the explain it. I don't think a busted reverse matters to him. The route running or the drops, those may but not a play that is there as a check to over pursuing defenses. 
Reply/Quote
Do you guys think that Ross taking safeties back helped to open up the middle of the field? He will shine when he starts to get more targets. Remember, these are his first real games in nearly two years.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Do you guys think that Ross taking safeties back helped to open up the middle of the field?  He will shine when he starts to get more targets.  Remember, these are his first real games in nearly two years.

They ran a lot of 2 man and cover 0 shells which intrinsically open up the middle of the field. One could argue the fact Ross was in the game with AJ is why they did this rather than running a straight bracket double team on AJ all game.
Reply/Quote
Ross is running the wrong patterns. He should be a deep threat primarily. Isn't that what 4.22 is for?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: They ran a lot of 2 man and cover 0 shells which intrinsically open up the middle of the field. One could argue the fact Ross was in the game with AJ is why they did this rather than running a straight bracket double team on AJ all game.

This. Just him being on the field makes it harder for defenses because of his speed. That's something they would never have to worry about with erikson.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:43 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Ross is running the wrong patterns.  He should be a deep threat primarily. Isn't that what 4.22 is for?

No not really. Tyreek Hill does a lot more than run deep, we want Ross to be Hill. Guys with that speed can take a slant 80 yards. Even if you are manly a deep threat you have to posses a counter move whether it's a stop and go, a comeback, or something else to adjust when guys play off. Playing WR at a high level is actually a really complex position that requires a lot of thinking and adjusting.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He can't be worse than Ross by any means, 

Based on what?
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on what?

Based on that I see better than I hear.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ross isn’t going to get any better sitting on the bench.

I agree.  The Ravens weren't fooled, in the least bit, and snuffed that play out quickly.  Typically, I'm a fan of gadget plays, but that one is too predictable.  I'd like to see more slants and crossing routes used, to get Ross the ball in space.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Hope so but they tried early to get him involved but he dropped two perfectly` thrown balls. 

QB will quit looking your way if that keeps up. 

If he does not pick it up soon then am all for giving Malone more snaps personally.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Boyd plays inside normally on 3 wide sets with Ross to the outside. Erickson isn't an outside WR, he is a back up to Boyd in the slot.

I prefer the philosophy of putting the best players a team has on the field, and I would like Erickson to be given the chance to see if he is one of the top 3 receivers on the team. 

Plus in today's offenses, players shift around so much and lineup wherever, there is no such thing any more as traditional slots and outside receivers like it used to be.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t help the kid confidence wise though. And we know he was in a bad place mentally last year. We need positive plays to get him going.

I don't like the TREND that I am seeing with Ross. Looks too much like Peter Warwick. (SORRY IF I SPEELED IT RONG)

Anyway, PW started out similarly. 
I would hate for that to happen.... He needs the ball a bit more situationaly. SCREEN passes in particular would seem to be a GOOD BET.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
If anyone plays over Ross it should be Malone but let's keep in mind that Ross speed does force the defense to play softer coverage.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Ross in no Warrick. Warrick was quick but did not have top end speed, more of an inside guy than outside. Looks like Ross is a decoy for now, teams will start leaning towards other receivers and then he will get one-on-one and we can throw deep balls
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:22 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Based on that I see better than I hear.

You must understand Fred. Every Bengals starter is an all pro and their is nothing wrong with them. Every time I see Ross he is dropping passes, running a very slow crossing route looking confused . He looks lost out there. Seriously to argue differently is not being honest.
Reply/Quote