Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expectations for Kirkpatrick this year
(08-17-2016, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I get your point, but I did not say he was the #32 CB in the league.  I said he was among the top 32 CBs in the league.

Some people don't bother with basic math Fred. There are at least 128 corners in the NFL at any given time, probably closer to 150 or so.. Every team has at least 4. Being in the top 32 is pretty good unless the rules changed drastically to only allow 1 corner per team.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Some people don't bother with basic math Fred. There are at least 128 corners in the NFL at any given time, probably closer to 150 or so.. Every team has at least 4. Being in the top 32 is pretty good unless the rules changed drastically to only allow 1 corner per team.. 

Fred is just trying to fend of the more extreme viewpoints that are contesting that Dre is absolutely horrible, which he is not. We can all agree that he needs to improve, but I don't think continuing to give him a chance this year will doom us by any means as long as he brings the swagger.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:06 AM)TGISunday Wrote: No one spends a first round pick and picks up a fifth year option on a dude to be considered "among the top 32" cbs in the league, as per some seriously questionable criteria.

Kirkpatrick isn't garbage, but he's not consistent. And he's not markedly better in improving his deficiencies that have always hampered him. These are concerning issues. Selective stats of questionable merit do nothing to alleviate those concerns.

Also, Justin Smith, Andrew Whitworth, and Leon Hall have nothing to do with this conversation.  Consequently, neither does Russell Bodine, Nate Livings, or Stacy Andrews.  So let's just leave these entirely unrelated players out of the thread.

Well said....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:06 AM)TGISunday Wrote: No one spends a first round pick and picks up a fifth year option on a dude to be considered "among the top 32" cbs in the league,

Yes they do.  CB is one of the most valuable position on the defense and teams kill to find a legit #1 starting CB.  22 CBs have been drafted in the first round the last 5 years and consider themselves lucky when one of them becomes a #1 level CB.

(08-21-2016, 01:06 AM)TGISunday Wrote:  as per some seriously questionable criteria.

Much more valid criteria than message board rabble.  Home team fans always over exaggerate the bad plays of their own players.  That is why so many people here think no other CBs in the league ever get beat.  the fact is that when you look at what every CB does in every game Dre actually performs better than most other CBs in the league.
he played 97% of the snaps on a top 5 pass defense, and he often lined up against the opposing #1 WR.  If every other CB in the league was as much better than Dre as you claim then no WER in the league would have a 1000 yard season.
Reply/Quote