Shucks, I don't know.
20.00%
7 20.00%
Total 35 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Faith
(08-29-2015, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People want to go to the church that has the ONE TRUE ANSWER as much as they want the diet that LET'S  YOU EAT ALL YOU WANT AND TOTALLY STILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

And they won't find either one.
(08-29-2015, 03:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wrong. I have plenty of proof of God other than my faith. I can list it all if you want, but like I told JC (that's Johnny Cupcakes, not the other JC  Wink), you would find fault with it, I'm sure.

So I have proof of God's existence. Proof enough for me. But it's not irrefutable evidence, it's not conclusive or comprehensive evidence, but it's still evidence nonetheless. I just recognize that it's not proof enough for others because it's mainly experiential evidence.

Proof that there is something beyond our physical selves is not proof of a judgmental supreme being as set forth by any religion.

I have experienced evidence myself of things beyond this physical plane. But I still don't attribute them to a religious god. And I'm talking about both things that have happened that give me a glimpse that there is something else.....and things that have given me great peace in a time when I was at rock bottom.
(08-29-2015, 03:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The problem is that you can't sell a religion about "being ok to each other" on a weekly basis any more than you can write a diet book that is one page long and says "Eat better and exercise more.  THE END."  There HAS to be some angle you have that others don't, some inside info, secret track to heaven and salvation, or some point of differentiation to draw people in.

People want to go to the church that has the ONE TRUE ANSWER as much as they want the diet that LET'S  YOU EAT ALL YOU WANT AND TOTALLY STILL LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

Actually you can "sell" such a religion. It is the religion I belong to. Below you can see the Unitarian Universalist's seven principles. UU's don't do much selling though - we don't knock on doors or preach on corners. And, one criticism some have leveled is it doesn't have that "secret formula" that Nately suggests all religions need. Perhaps this is why the religion is not growing as rapidly as some others. But, there is some growth. But when I tell most people I am a UU they have never heard of this church even though there are 3 in my area and probably at least one near anyone reading this.

BTW, there have been five different American presidents who were Unitarians: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and William Howard Taft. There are also two honorable mentions worth bringing up.  Abraham Lincoln was influenced by the popular Unitarian preacher Theodore Parker and had positive interactions with the Universalists.  And Barack Obama attended Unitarian-Universalist Sunday school as a child.  Neither was/is a full-fledged Unitarian, Universalist, or Unitarian-Universalist, however.

http://http://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/principles

1. 1st Principle: The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  2. 2nd Principle: Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  3. 3rd Principle: Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  4. 4th Principle: A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  5. 5th Principle: The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  6. 6th Principle: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  7. 7th Principle: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-29-2015, 06:47 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Of course...the evidence is seen by the things I do....now answer my post without asking a question.

My answer is in the question. Your evidence is seen by the things you do, just as mine or any other Christian's is. While the evidence is there, you can't show me love in the same way i can't show you God, but you know the love is real in your personal experience because you've felt it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
God still leading in the poll. Film at 11. (Of God.)
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-29-2015, 11:50 PM)xxlt Wrote: God still leading in the poll. Film at 11. (Of God.)

Shocked

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-30-2015, 12:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Shocked

You want the proof? You can't handle the proof!

And if you could handle it, you should have tuned in at 11, when I proved there is a God. Had film and everything. But no, you were all over in that "chat box" otherwise known as the Tower of Babel. Starting to think that AJ fellow is an agent of the Devil now and not your Savior aren't you? He might even be an agent of the Super Devil - the one who rides the motorcycle. But I am done proving to you believers that there is a God. You had your chance, at 11. And before my **** crowed three times nobody came to the movie. Bunch of unfaithful chosen ones. I'm going to recommend God send you all back into the desert for 40 years. Forty more years of Obama is what He has in store for you if he listens to me. Oh yes, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. That will teach you to turn your hearts away.
God always wins.
(08-29-2015, 04:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: Proof that there is something beyond our physical selves is not proof of a judgmental supreme being as set forth by any religion.

I have experienced evidence myself of things beyond this physical plane. But I still don't attribute them to a religious god. And I'm talking about both things that have happened that give me a glimpse that there is something else.....and things that have given me great peace in a time when I was at rock bottom.

As I have always said: "It is a personal relationship". Just because my beliefs associate him with religion doesn't make me wrong and just because yours does not, doesn't make you wrong. All that is required is to acknowledge and trust in him.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-30-2015, 01:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: God always wins.

Well sure...he's fighting for both sides.

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Good ol' rock. Nothing beats that.
[Image: rock.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

And yet he never shows up to accept his trophy.
(08-30-2015, 03:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Gold ol' rock. Nothing beats that.

When trying to be clever fails?

(08-30-2015, 01:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I have always said: "It is a personal relationship". Just because my beliefs associate him with religion doesn't make me wrong and just because yours does not, doesn't make you wrong. All that is required is to acknowledge and trust in him.

My beliefs would change if there was tangible evidence to the contrary. I have searched for reasons my whole life. But those who believe, refuse to change their beliefs, even when presented with tangible evidence. They simply attempt to attack the evidence.
(08-30-2015, 06:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: My beliefs would change if there was tangible evidence to the contrary. I have searched for reasons my whole life. But those who believe, refuse to change their beliefs, even when presented with tangible evidence. They simply attempt to attack the evidence.

A couple examples of the tangible evidence that has been presented?

(08-30-2015, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When trying to be clever fails?

When bfine misses pop culture references.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(08-30-2015, 07:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A couple examples of the tangible evidence that has been presented?

Absolutely anything presented to dismiss the creation museum?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-30-2015, 07:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: When bfine misses pop culture references.

Gold job

(08-30-2015, 08:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: Absolutely anything presented to dismiss the creation museum?

Even though it's about 20 minutes from me, i don't know much about it. 

That said, after a bit of reading, i'd agree with this...
http://phys.org/news/2009-06-paleontologists-brought-laughter-creation-museum.html

I prefer to steer clear of trying to defend crackpots.

Anything else remotely reasonable? You'll need to make it quick, i have a draft in 35 minutes.