Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally -- A place to discuss Bengals football intelligently
As the other's said, stay away from the Gameday thread unless you are a wrist cutter. If that's your thing, then that's the place to be.....
Reply/Quote
The majority of people in the game day threads are fine. It’s the same handful of posters that usually declares the game/season over after we go down by one score, or lose their minds if you criticize a player they like.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:10 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Lucidus, I'll give you a couple of general rules, as this isn't the most, "perfect," place and we wouldn't want it any other way:

- Stay out of the Gameday threads; even if the Bengals are indeed winning, 50-0; it is easily the most devolved and ludicrous part of these boards.
- Be wary of a few posters for certain reasons:
  - Fredtoast: Fred's awesome, but he's... different and while providing a ton of invaluable stats and knowledge, he's staunch in his fandom
                              and will take his opinion to the grave, normally; the debate never ends with him lol.
  - fortyyearfan: Seems like a nice guy, but sentence structure and paragraphs are not his thing; best to ignore him if he starts ranting.
  - grampahol & kevin: Our resident grandfathers lol. Both are fun guys to post with, but they have tendencies to ramble and go off the
                                                    deep end with some things; if you see something random or that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it lol.

There are a multitude of personalities and different people on here, from all different walks of life; you'll learn our quirks and tendencies, as time goes on (I could write a little blurb about EVERYONE on here). For example, I talk way too much, generally.

The posters above, nothing wrong with them at all, I just find that they can be misunderstood at times and don't wish for anyone to, "inadvertently start a war." (quoted from Independence Day, sans the words Interstellar).

Enjoy the tab that I haven't closed on my browser since April 2009! (aside from a month in 2016 and last year).

Stop it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:20 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Stop it.

lol I don't say that anymore!

Well, not just the abrupt version... I elaborate now Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Once you go BENGALS BOARD, you don't go back. Pervert
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:53 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As I discussed with a staff member in another thread, I am new to your forum. My previous home for Bengals discussion was a Bengals group on Facebook, as well as the Bengals Facebook page.

I don't know how many of you have ever attempted to have real football discussions on Facebook, but it's incredibly difficult for a wide variety of reasons, and the lack of any actual depth of conversation led me to look for a new arena to discuss Bengals football.

I decided to join this forum as it was the highest ranked on a Google search and seemed to be much more active than any other Bengals message board. I must say that I'm enjoying myself tremendously thus far. In reading through the different threads, I've already found it to be a far superior exchange of thoughts and opinions than I ever encountered on Facebook.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and having many good conversations. While I can be a bit opinionated at times, I always try to be as fair and respectful as I can.

Welcome to 'The Boards'. It's hard to imagine finding a more passionate and knowledgeable fan base than what you will find here. We laugh; we cry; the games become a part of us (for a few, anyway). And we intend to do it with respect for each other. Sometimes we're more entertaining than the game itself .... or not. If nothing else, it's therapeutic. 

Looking forward to getting to know ya!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:10 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Yeah, Lucidus, I'll give you a couple of general rules, as this isn't the most, "perfect," place and we wouldn't want it any other way:

- Stay out of the Gameday threads; even if the Bengals are indeed winning, 50-0; it is easily the most devolved and ludicrous part of these boards.
- Be wary of a few posters for certain reasons:
  - Fredtoast: Fred's awesome, but he's... different and while providing a ton of invaluable stats and knowledge, he's staunch in his fandom
                              and will take his opinion to the grave, normally; the debate never ends with him lol.
  - fortyyearfan: Seems like a nice guy, but sentence structure and paragraphs are not his thing; best to ignore him if he starts ranting.
  - grampahol & kevin: Our resident grandfathers lol. Both are fun guys to post with, but they have tendencies to ramble and go off the
                                                    deep end with some things; if you see something random or that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it lol.

There are a multitude of personalities and different people on here, from all different walks of life; you'll learn our quirks and tendencies, as time goes on (I could write a little blurb about EVERYONE on here). For example, I talk way too much, generally.

The posters above, nothing wrong with them at all, I just find that they can be misunderstood at times and don't wish for anyone to, "inadvertently start a war." (quoted from Independence Day, sans the words Interstellar).

Enjoy the tab that I haven't closed on my browser since April 2009! (aside from a month in 2016 and last year).
Hey, hold on there just a minute buddy boy.. Everything I post has a thought out point. I'm not claiming a well thought out point, but it's thought out and I don't even like this team anymore. I just root for them out of long, arduous habits that can't be undone until long after I'm dead...not to mention that I hate cold weather and Cincinnati gets cold . I nearly froze to death in Cincinnati on I-75 once. I have zero plans to move back to the area unless the City of Dayton has me exdridicted back for the warrants they never forget about . They even had me tossed in the slammer because my dog ran away. (True story)  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:53 PM)Lucidus Wrote: As I discussed with a staff member in another thread, I am new to your forum. My previous home for Bengals discussion was a Bengals group on Facebook, as well as the Bengals Facebook page.

I don't know how many of you have ever attempted to have real football discussions on Facebook, but it's incredibly difficult for a wide variety of reasons, and the lack of any actual depth of conversation led me to look for a new arena to discuss Bengals football.

I decided to join this forum as it was the highest ranked on a Google search and seemed to be much more active than any other Bengals message board. I must say that I'm enjoying myself tremendously thus far. In reading through the different threads, I've already found it to be a far superior exchange of thoughts and opinions than I ever encountered on Facebook.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and having many good conversations. While I can be a bit opinionated at times, I always try to be as fair and respectful as I can.

Welcome aboard. :andy:

Yes, this place is great for all things Bengals discussion.  There are some very knowledgeable fans on here.  Lots of people that have played, some that have coached.....lot of great insight here.  It's also a GREAT aggregate site for updates concerning the team.  Even our old beat writer, Jim Owscarski, was a member here.  I really miss his participation here.

As for opinions, they are always welcome, they make this site what it is.

Facebook?  I don't even go on there to talk about the Bengals, it's a trainwreck of mostly people who don't have a clue.  Hope you enjoy your time here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Welcome home Lucidus!

This is a good group of people, some of whom know a lot about football and some who take the time to really research their opinions.  We often disagree, but mostly in a respectful way.  Trollers usually move on after a short run here.  There's lots of good humor and a solid sense of loyalty for long time members.

Sounds like you are like-minded.   Look forward to your posts!
Reply/Quote
I see the word "knowledgeable" stretched a lot in this thread!! Lol Btw welcome to the Board of Boards!!
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 10:40 AM)grampahol Wrote: Hey, hold on there just a minute buddy boy.. Everything I post has a thought out point. I'm not claiming a well thought out point, but it's thought out and I don't even like this team anymore. I just root for them out of long, arduous habits that can't be undone until long after I'm dead...not to mention that I hate cold weather and Cincinnati gets cold . I nearly froze to death in Cincinnati on I-75 once. I have zero plans to move back to the area unless the City of Dayton has me exdridicted back for the warrants they never forget about . They even had me tossed in the slammer because my dog ran away. (True story)  

(gives hug)

lol don't worry, we love your posts Wink.

You went to jail because of your dog? That's ridiculous, how is law enforcement even allowed to do that?!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
A hearty thanks to everyone for the friendly welcome and the helpful insights as to the forum itself.

From what I gather in reading through your comments, the main takeaways seem to be:

There exists a good sense of comradery among the membership.
Fans on this forum take pride in their knowledge of Bengals football.
And finally -- avoid the game day forum because of the extremity of the discussions?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 01:49 PM)Lucidus Wrote: A hearty thanks to everyone for the friendly welcome and the helpful insights as to the forum itself.

From what I gather in reading through your comments, the main takeaways seem to be:

And finally -- avoid the game day forum because of the extremity of the discussions?

Game day thread isn't that bad I post there regularly. It's a lot of posts of what people are thinking in that moment.

Lol let me put it like this...its alot like talking about the Bengals on Facebook.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 01:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Game day thread isn't that bad I post there regularly. It's a lot of posts of what people are thinking in that moment.

Lol let me put it like this...its alot like talking about the Bengals on Facebook.

We'll be winning by 21 and give up a TD and people are like 'Here comes the end.' That's my impression of gameday thread.
Reply/Quote
Gameday thread is awesome, it is LIVE and it's like being with your friends in the living room watching the game. It's emotional, raw and fun!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We'll be winning by 21 and give up a TD and people are like 'Here comes the end.' That's my impression of gameday thread.

Well... dammit, why can't they be up 21 and just... STAY UP 21 by not giving up points?
Heheheh, it's just too easy to get "nervous" when the other team starts any semblance of a comeback... see Tampa Bay game.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the insane asylum......oops meant Jungle !

Can admit that knowingly that you are crazy too.

Exhibit A - Still a Bengals fan like us. Ninja

Just kidding and glad to have you aboard friend.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Welcome aboard! This forum was a continuation of essentially the official Bengals forums after the official one got shut down. A lot of us have been part of the same forum community for 5+ years. This has been my most frequented site (along with the old forums) for over a decade because of the (mostly) intelligent conversations and overall knowledge of the members. I've never cared to post in Reddit, Facebook, etc because most of the time it's overrun by irrational trolls with no admin discipline.

EDIT - What you'll also find here is that a lot of us no longer (or never did) reside in Cincinnati and are still Bengals fans. I think that helps bring in rational conversations because we still cared to root for this team when not living in Cincinnati.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 01:49 PM)Lucidus Wrote: A hearty thanks to everyone for the friendly welcome and the helpful insights as to the forum itself.

Welcome aboard, again

If you wanna test your strength go in the game day thread but be prepared ! Lots of knee jerk reactions in there, lol. 

And yes there is a lot of very knowledgeable fans on here with some pretty good insight. Unlike facebook where you get "the passer guy just threw a good ball and the catcher guy dropped it. Very Casual fans who think Chad Johnson is still one of our WR's.

Cheers  
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're not kidding, I seem to get "added" to every Bengals FB group that pops up, and they all turn out to be just the same.  You found the right place, some of us have been talking together on the original board or this one, for over 10 years together.

Now, to really test your mettle, answer me this one question.  Is John Ross going to go down in history as a major bust, or is he the next perennial Pro-Bowler waiting to break out?  (no pressure, the only thing riding on your answer is how we'll view you, for eternity)   Ninja

Well, if you hovered a rubber mallet above my manberries in an ominous fashion and forced me to prognosticate -- I would venture a guess that Mr. Ross would have less than 100 catches in his Bengals career. Does that answer the question?  Smirk
Reply/Quote