Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fire Sale article
I hope they go for it. They could probably get more than just a 1st for AJ. Maybe a 1st and a 6th. Or 1st and 5th.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
So I'd normally say that MB wouldn't do this, but IF he trades these guys he'd save some $13 million this year. That goes to profit.

Kind of seems like a bit of a sweetener to do it for ownership.

That said, trade Green and Atkins and some of the good players and IF we whiff on the draft picks...we could be sub 6 win bad for A LONG time.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 12:58 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let’s assume what Cris Collinsworth said in the past and what Zac Taylor is saying now are both true: Mike Brown wants to win. Now I happen to agree because I also believe Mike Brown wants to win. Unfortunately he hasn’t the first clue how to do this.

This isn’t 1959 in Cleveland. This isn’t even 1989 in Cincinnati. Every team the great Paul Brown touched — Massillon High School, Ohio State, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Baltimore — became winners. His son didn’t learn a thing from this. Mike Brown might have been the starting quarterback at Dartmouth and went to law school at Harvard but having a high IQ doesn't mean you can’t be stubborn.

It’s okay to mess up, erase, and start over.

Mike Brown doesn’t know how to win. He hasn’t figured it out in over 30 years, so maybe he should do what’s in the best interest of everyone and completely step away from the team entirely. Sign everything over to Katie and Troy, let them hire an actual GM, enable Zac to build his team, and let’s go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:29 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Mike Brown doesn’t know how to win. He hasn’t figured it out in over 30 years, so maybe he should do what’s in the best interest of everyone and completely step away from the team entirely. Sign everything over to Katie and Troy, let them hire an actual GM, enable Zac to build his team, and let’s go from there.

What makes you think that Katie and Troy will hire a GM? Plus, Tobin is still in the picture.

IF Mike Brown were to totally step away, it might just be those 3 plus Taylor running the show.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What makes you think that Katie and Troy will hire a GM? Plus, Tobin is still in the picture.

IF Mike Brown were to totally step away, it might just be those 3 plus Taylor running the show.

If I had my wish they’d sell the team to someone else. Something tells me Katie and Troy are over their heads and that’s why Mike is still in the picture. So if he’s completely gone maybe they’ll cave and hire a GM. Is it Duke who knows but he’s been around for a while I’d like to see a fresh face in management.

Reply/Quote
Looking at the attendance, is there anything the NFL can do - save for encouraging the team to leave the city?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What makes you think that Katie and Troy will hire a GM? Plus, Tobin is still in the picture.

Don't think there's any might about it. Pretty sure that's the situation right now, and for the foreseeable future. I think Mike's roll is far less that it's ever been and the young 'uns are primarily in charge (with Mike's daily doses of wisdom, of course).
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:35 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If I had my wish they’d sell the team to someone else. Something tells me Katie and Troy are over their heads and that’s why Mike is still in the picture. So if he’s completely gone maybe they’ll cave and hire a GM. Is it Duke who knows but he’s been around for a while I’d like to see a fresh face in management.

I agree with all of that. Just from articles and quotes, I think you'll see more of the same with them.

It all boils down to this teams front office consisting of people that I doubt any other NFL franchise would hire away.

re: Tobin - IF he was so good here, he'd likely leave and be paid more elsewhere and have the GM title. I feel like some people who aren't qualified like being here because of the lack of accountability for results.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree with all of that. Just from articles and quotes, I think you'll see more of the same with them.

It all boils down to this teams front office consisting of people that I doubt any other NFL franchise would hire away.

re: Tobin - IF he was so good here, he'd likely leave and be paid more elsewhere and have the GM title. I feel like some people who aren't qualified like being here because of the lack of accountability for results.

Tobin wouldn’t land a job on any other team, maybe as just a mere scout but he’s proven that he’s incapable of building a good roster.

Reply/Quote
Wonder what Pitt would give us from Andy
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Wonder what Pitt would give us from Andy

Haha...as I watched the end of their game I briefly had that thought too.
Reply/Quote
Love Green, but you won't get a first for him. Maybe a 32nd overall from the Patriots, after winning a SB, but no one other than that.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:46 PM)Destro Wrote: Love Green, but you won't get a first for him. Maybe a 32nd overall from the Patriots, after winning a SB, but no one other than that.

It's going to be contingent on him signing an extension too...and I doubt teams will do that if he's not healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:21 PM)Adamantium Wrote: I hope they go for it. They could probably get more than just a 1st for AJ. Maybe a 1st and a 6th. Or 1st and 5th.

I also hope that they go with the "fire sale" tactic.  This team is too many players away from being competitive, let alone dominate.  Our star players are getting up in years, and our secondary is is littered with 1st round CBs that haven't lived up to their draft status.

I don't know that I would "actively shop" any player, as that decreases the value.  However, if any teams came calling, I would show them a menu that included AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert, Darqueze Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, Giovanni Bernard, Shawn Williams,Preston Brown, and yes, Andy Dalton.

This team isn't going to get rebuilt by simply making a trade and picking up an extra 1st round pick.  It's going to entail jettisoning close to half the payroll, clearing roster spots, amassing many picks, bargaining with those picks to acquire talent and to move up or down in the draft to get the targeted players, and for once, being real participants in the free agent market.

The problem with this entire idea?  Even if the front office bought into the notion of a fire sale and roster rebuild, I'm not sure that there's anyone in the front office with the savvy and football acumen to pull off all of the negotiations that would be required.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The New England Patriots have expressed interest in Tyler Eifert and AJ Green. I’m sure there is interest in other players on the Bengals’ roster from other teams. Is it time to blow this team up?
Reply/Quote
Absolutely you trade guys IF you can gets picks or young players for them.

You trade too many good players and the chances to go 0-16 are real.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I also hope that they go with the "fire sale" tactic.  This team is too many players away from being competitive, let alone dominate.  Our star players are getting up in years, and our secondary is is littered with 1st round CBs that haven't lived up to their draft status.

I don't know that I would "actively shop" any player, as that decreases the value.  However, if any teams came calling, I would show them a menu that included AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Tyler Eifert, Darqueze Dennard, Dre Kirkpatrick, Giovanni Bernard, Shawn Williams,Preston Brown, and yes, Andy Dalton.

This team isn't going to get rebuilt by simply making a trade and picking up an extra 1st round pick.  It's going to entail jettisoning close to half the payroll, clearing roster spots, amassing many picks, bargaining with those picks to acquire talent and to move up or down in the draft to get the targeted players, and for once, being real participants in the free agent market.

The problem with this entire idea?  Even if the front office bought into the notion of a fire sale and roster rebuild, I'm not sure that there's anyone in the front office with the savvy and football acumen to pull off all of the negotiations that would be required.

Yessir. Agree with it all.

And I wonder IF the current staff can develop players. Guys like Jackson and Bates have regressed on defense.
Reply/Quote
can we get 3 first round picks for an old AJ Green? and a 7th rounder for Eifert?
Reply/Quote
Absolutely it is ! The Green Dalton era is over.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 05:52 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: can we get 3 first round picks for an old AJ Green? and a 7th rounder for Eifert?

You'll be lucky to get 1 1st for Green.
Reply/Quote