Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris under attack
(11-20-2015, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Iraq was constantly at war with Iran while Saddam was in power.

Not supporting our actions to remove him.  Just pointing out that things were not peaceful with him in charge.

Can't remember who said this.... I think it was Dino.... But they mentioned that it will never be peaceful .

Which is why the dictators and Sykes-Pocot borders worked. Let them fight each other... Better they kill each other than bother the rest of us.

It would be nice if they would choose peace but they don't want that life. So let them kill each other and cycle their violence in their own circles.
[Image: 12249637_10153269148438424_4265104548660...e=56F9F81E]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-18-2015, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Interesting indeed.....I wonder what would happen if Baptists fought Catholics like this.....or certain Temples of Buddhists revolted against others.....or if Hindus became so divided over Vishnu and Krishna? What would the world view on that be? The more I learn, the more I hold to the conviction that they need an Iron Fist over there from within.  It's like a bunch of arguing children.

The Catholics and Protestants did fight each other, for a very long time. The Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648) was one of the most destructive wars in Europe ever. But, in fairness, what started as a war of religion eventually became a war of the great powers on the continent at that time.

On a side note, one of my ancestors, Carl Gaston, was a French Huguenot who was shipped out of France to Scotland for being Protestant around 1680. Around the same time, another of my ancestors, the MacKenzies, were forced out of Scotland because they were Catholic (and also because they fought the British).

As Fred noted, the Northern Ireland conflict has been the most recent Protestant and Catholic conflict. But it was also colored by nationalism, which played just as much a part.

But, it is like this for all religions. Around the time attributed to be the lifetime of Jesus, Judaism was split into three major factions: the Pharisees, the Sadducees, and the Essenes (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/sadducees_pharisees_essenes.html). There were a multitude of lesser factions as well. Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" may have been far more accurate of life in those times than a lot of other movies, believe it or not. BTW- modern Judaism is the ancestor of the Pharisees. There are some indications that Jesus and the Apostles would have been related to the Essene tradition.

Buddhist sects in Japan fought each other for years. Hindu sects fought in India for years.

Sectarianism is nothing new. We don't hear about it becoming violent in the civilized world so much because most of the civilized world is secular and democratic
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(11-20-2015, 07:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The Catholics and Protestants did fight each other, for a very long time. The Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648) was one of the most destructive wars in Europe ever. But, in fairness, what started as a war of religion eventually became a war of the great powers on the continent at that time.

On a side note, one of my ancestors, Carl Gaston, was a French Huguenot who was shipped out of France to Scotland for being Protestant around 1680. Around the same time, another of my ancestors, the MacKenzies, were forced out of Scotland because they were Catholic (and also because they fought the British).

As Fred noted, the Northern Ireland conflict has been the most recent Protestant and Catholic conflict. But it was also colored by nationalism, which played just as much a part.

But, it is like this for all religions. Around the time attributed to be the lifetime of Jesus, Judaism was split into three major factions: the Pharisees, the Sadducees, and the Essenes (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/sadducees_pharisees_essenes.html). There were a multitude of lesser factions as well. Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" may have been far more accurate of life in those times than a lot of other movies, believe it or not. BTW- modern Judaism is the ancestor of the Pharisees. There are some indications that Jesus and the Apostles would have been related to the Essene tradition.

Buddhist sects in Japan fought each other for years. Hindu sects fought in India for years.

Sectarianism is nothing new. We don't hear about it becoming violent in the civilized world so much because most of the civilized world is secular and democratic

My ancestors were kicked out of Switzerland, and then Alsace, for being Anabaptist around the same time. Finally making their way to the Pennsylvania frontier in Somerset just in time for the French and Indian War.
(11-20-2015, 08:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My ancestors were kicked out of Switzerland, and then Alsace, for being Anabaptist around the same time. Finally making their way to the Pennsylvania frontier in Somerset just in time for the French and Indian War.

You guys are lucky. All my ancestors are dead.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(11-20-2015, 08:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My ancestors were kicked out of Switzerland, and then Alsace, for being Anabaptist around the same time. Finally making their way to the Pennsylvania frontier in Somerset just in time for the French and Indian War.

The French and Indian War... that was a nasty bit of business. All of the wars actually here in America have been.
(11-20-2015, 06:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 12249637_10153269148438424_4265104548660...e=56F9F81E]

I laughed at this!

I never do those things on the Facebook. But that night of the Paris attacks, for some unknown reason (perhaps involving beer), I decided to do that one. I woke up the next morning and thought, "That is the most pointless dam thing I've ever done" and removed it.
(11-20-2015, 07:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The Catholics and Protestants did fight each other, for a very long time. The Thirty Years War (1618 to 1648) was one of the most destructive wars in Europe ever. But, in fairness, what started as a war of religion eventually became a war of the great powers on the continent at that time.

.....and that is the main point I was driving at.  They basically need to get with the times....

I'm aware of things that happened centuries ago....the world has evolved....one area hasn't. I mean, Islam in other areas doesn't have near the strife either. I know there were religious overtones in Ireland....but I think the Ireland deal and the NRA was more about nationalism than anything else.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-21-2015, 03:32 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I laughed at this!

I never do those things on the Facebook. But that night of the Paris attacks, for some unknown reason (perhaps involving beer), I decided to do that one. I woke up the next morning and thought, "That is the most pointless dam thing I've ever done" and removed it.

My thing with it was I looked at Facebook doing the French flag, while four other countries had recently been rocked by terrorism or natural disasters, and just thought to myself how much white privilege was on display at that moment.
(11-20-2015, 07:11 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: On a side note, one of my ancestors, Carl Gaston, was a French Huguenot . . .

[Image: _1425514627.jpg]

I can see the family resemblence.
(11-21-2015, 11:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: _1425514627.jpg]

Yeah. It'll put hair on your chest. LOL
(11-21-2015, 11:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: _1425514627.jpg]

"A buffet of manliness" !!

Gaston was awesome.  LOL
(11-21-2015, 12:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yeah. It'll put hair on your chest. LOL

And remove your nipples.
(11-21-2015, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And remove your nipples.

[Image: waterboy-nipple-pinch-uhhhh-o.gif]