Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing the Public Schools k-12
i cant help but feel bad for kids who will be stuck in this
People suck
(02-07-2017, 02:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We took a few steps backwards today when Mike Pence made history by breaking a 50-50 tie in the Senate on the confirmation of Betsy Devoe, making it the first time the VP has ever had a break a tie on a cabinet position.

Republicans put party over children when they voted 50-2 to confirm someone whose only experience in education is that they donated money to promote charter schools and help the online charter school service provider business they're invested in.

While the state she spent the billions she inherited on continues to struggle, she went before the Senate and managed to confuse basic education concepts and suggest that the federal mandate that ensures disabled children get an education should be left to the states to decide if they want to enforce it. If Republicans wanted someone who was tough on the unions, supportive of charters, and had experience, they would have demanded Michelle Rhees or any other charter school advocate who has actual experience.

Instead they kept their mouths shut and voted to confirm someone on the merit of their bank account alone.

Votes she quite literally bought and paid for given the campaign contributions that flow from her and her family.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I was not a fan of Duncan, one of Obama's Sec of Edu, but I at least knew that he could articulate a defense for his promotion of standardized summative assessments for all students, including students with disabilities.

Michelle Rhees was a little too combative with the unions was she ran DC schools, but I liked the deal she proposed to teachers that would give up some tenure protections for increased pay. She understood how to run a school. If anyone hasn't seen it, watch Waiting for Superman.

I can't really say much for Betsy Devos other than I learned what IDEA was and the difference between growth and proficiency in my first education course. She should really know those concepts. It's like if the labor secretary didn't know what minimum wage laws were...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-07-2017, 03:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Votes she quite literally bought and paid for given the campaign contributions that flow from her and her family.

I believe she gave $200,000 to just the Republicans who sat on the committee she had to make it out of. 

(02-07-2017, 03:06 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Votes she quite literally bought and paid for given the campaign contributions that flow from her and her family.

so....

pay to play?
People suck
22 of the 50 senators who voted for her had anywhere from $1,000 to $98,000 in donations from the DeVos family.

People freaking out cause the IDEA website is "gone", even though on the Gov Twitter address it says it's down due to technical difficulties and not "gone".
(02-08-2017, 02:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: People freaking out cause the IDEA website is "gone", even though on the Gov Twitter address it says it's down due to technical difficulties and not "gone".

so when is the white house going to add back the pages it removed when it took over from the obama admin

its still missing the climate change, lgbt
People suck
(02-08-2017, 02:38 PM)Griever Wrote: so when is the white house going to add back the pages it removed when it took over from the obama admin

its still missing the climate change, lgbt

Call CNN, I'm sure they know all of the answers.
(02-08-2017, 03:12 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Call CNN, I'm sure they know all of the answers.

are you taking up the mantle of snark for bfine? Whatever
People suck
Betsy Devos: HBCU are the pioneers of school choice

http://time.com/4685456/betsy-devos-black-colleges-school-choice/

That didn't really go over well with many, the Dept of Ed's website included, pointing out that they were founded in a time when they were the ONLY CHOICE.

(02-28-2017, 01:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Betsy Devos:  HBCU are the pioneers of school choice

That didn't really go over well with many, the Dept of Ed's website included, pointing out that they were founded in a time when they were the ONLY CHOICE.

I don't understand why people are upset.  She was selected to show that the Department of Education needs shut down due to inefficiency and poor past results.  She's just helping out by being a moron.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-28-2017, 01:41 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Betsy Devos:  HBCU are the pioneers of school choice

[Image: feb3.jpg]

Just another hydration pioneer exercising their right to choose a historically black water fountain.

Obviously, a private school education didn't prevent Betsy DeVos from becoming a complete idiot.

Sure, they were separate... but they were equal.
(02-28-2017, 01:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't understand why people are upset.  She was selected to show that the Department of Education needs shut down due to inefficiency and poor past results.  She's just helping out by being a moron.

That was similar to the thinking here in Kentucky last year when the governor (very pro tax-subsidized private schools) made a head scratching move and said public schools had to start publishing financial info. He's not exactly big on transparency or public cooperation, he likes just doing things. Anyway, school administrators I worked with in the past were pretty concerned because they figured he was planning on using that info to show that public schools were this giant money pit that doesn't generate any revenue for the state. That was before the House swung to the right, so he hasn't really had to go down that road. Instead, they'll just push through a system where public schools in metro areas like Jefferson will dwindle and somebody will make a killing off taxpayers.

I see this as just another example of folks looking for something to be mad about.

Did the HBCUs provide African Americans with choices they didn't have prior to their creation or not?

HBCUs were not the only choice. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/04/24/betsy-devos-said-there-isnt-really-any-common-core-any-more-um-yes-there-is

Money can buy you a cabinet position, but it doesn't always buy you a clue. When a FOX anchor asked DeVos if they'd withhold federal funds from states that have implemented Common Core standards, she responded that ESSA did away with the "whole argument about Common Core". She then said "There isn't really any common core any more. Each state is able to set the standards for their state. They may elect to adopt very high standards for their students to aspire to and to work toward. And that will be up to each state."

Except there still exists Common Core, in 37 states. These 37 states have set this as their high standards for their students to aspire to and work towards, despite ESSA having removed a federal incentive to adopt the standards. 9 states either got rid of them, revised them, or plan to do one of those two things, but it is still a thing for most American students. 4 of those 9 basically adopted Common Core under a new name. Only 3 states never added them and Minnesota only adopted the English standards, not the math.

(04-26-2017, 11:26 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2017/04/24/betsy-devos-said-there-isnt-really-any-common-core-any-more-um-yes-there-is

Money can buy you a cabinet position, but it doesn't always buy you a clue. When a FOX anchor asked DeVos if they'd withhold federal funds from states that have implemented Common Core standards, she responded that ESSA did away with the "whole argument about Common Core". She then said "There isn't really any common core any more. Each state is able to set the standards for their state. They may elect to adopt very high standards for their students to aspire to and to work toward. And that will be up to each state."

Except there still exists Common Core, in 37 states. These 37 states have set this as their high standards for their students to aspire to and work towards, despite ESSA having removed a federal incentive to adopt the standards. 9 states either got rid of them, revised them, or plan to do one of those two things, but it is still a thing for most American students. 4 of those 9 basically adopted Common Core under a new name. Only 3 states never added them and Minnesota only adopted the English standards, not the math.

The question we have now is can we survive until the adults get back in charge?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.