Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Florida Schools to Tell Kids Slavery Benefited Black People
https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-schools-will-teach-how-slavery-brought-personal-benefit-to-black-people

The Florida Board of Education has approved shocking new standards for African American history, despite overwhelming backlash from the public.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 04:34 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: https://www.thedailybeast.com/florida-schools-will-teach-how-slavery-brought-personal-benefit-to-black-people

The Florida Board of Education has approved shocking new standards for African American history, despite overwhelming backlash from the public.

Well bless their hearts, as they say in the real south.

Sorry Arturo, in America today we have be very careful to not upset white people with the truth.  That's just the way it is.  White people have been made to look bad for too long!  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well bless their hearts, as they say in the real south.

Sorry Arturo, in America today we have be very careful to not upset white people with the truth.  That's just the way it is.  White people have been made to look bad for too long!  Ninja

I know. It's a hard time to be a white man in America for now especially when you are a rich conservative. They are the real victims here.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:22 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: I know. It's a hard time to be a white man in America for now especially when you are a rich conservative. They are the real victims here.

DeSantis is disgusting.

Luckily he has no charisma and has no chance to be President.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: DeSantis is disgusting.

An extremely vile human being to be sure.

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: DeSantis is disgusting.

It's pretty wild to watch.  This is the dude that was going to step over a still-popular ex-president and dethrone the incumbent that beat him.  

DeSantis is a product of a loyal state government apparatus coupled with a tight inner circle.  He's consolidated a ton of power down there.  Outside of that pocket of protection, he's subject to the same brutal attacks as any other candidate, and so far he's not weathering them well.  

He honestly reminds me of a solid backup quarterback.  Everyone wants him to play until he gets in the game and sees what the starters deal with every week.  That's when you're reminded of why he's not on the first string.  Trump and Biden have been taking heat nationally for decades.  Most of the country doesn't even know what DeSantis sounds like when he talks.  Dude just isn't ready for prime time.  
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2023, 05:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Sorry Arturo, in America today we have be very careful to not upset white people with the truth.  That's just the way it is.  White people have been made to look bad for too long!  Ninja

Come on Dino!  Let's stop the moral judgment.  Time for healing!
Reply/Quote
Oh and don’t forget that the Ocoee Massacre, where 30-35 African-Americans, died was started by a black man shooting a white man. It’s not clear if they are allowed to point out that a white mob of over 100 men chased a black man, who tried to vote, into a house and the white man was shot breaking into the house. The entire black population was forced from the city. But I guess it’s ok because they had those skills they learned as slaves to fall back on.

In other news, DeSantis wants the state to sue AB InBev, parent company of Bud Light, for going woke. The state’s retirement fund was an investor and the Bud Light boycott caused the stock prices to drop. Of course, he convienently ignores he was one of the people whose rhetoric was leading the boycott. When, he loses the Republican nomination, I can easily see him, his hand picked state legislatures, and state Supreme Court colluding to remove the state’s term limit laws so he can run again

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I have to begrudgingly respect the game of any political party that can convince people that wearing a mask at wal Mart or seeing a person in drag is devastating while being captured and enslaved is actally kind of good for you.

It's like Jimmy Cliff in reverse. I'd rather be a puppet or a slave than free to see things I don't like. 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 08:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I have to begrudgingly respect the game of any political party that can convince people that wearing a mask at wal Mart or seeing a person in drag is devastating while being captured and enslaved is actally kind of good for you.

It's like Jimmy Cliff in reverse. I'd rather be a puppet or a slave than free to see things I don't like. 

I had the unfortunate experience of being around a person like this last weekend. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are conservative, and that's fine. They are your run of the mill conservatives, but I hadn't yet met any extremists - until last weekend. My wife is friends with a lady at work and they invited us to the lake. We already know these people, and she is a nice lady but her boyfriend is a massive, massive, douche. I so strongly dislike him. Learning about his political beliefs made me dislike him even more. 

He started talking about how slavery is often mischaracterized and many of the slaves were happy/grateful to be in the situation they were in. He started talking about how, on a trip to Bahrain, he saw many slaves and they all seemed "so happy" to be able to work and get paid some kind of meager salary. He followed it up by saying he would love to see "every liberal ***** go work in those conditions" so he could listen to them complain. It didn't end there, though. He started talking about how the Amish don't have any recorded autistic kids because they don't vaccinate their children and that the reason he didn't get the COVID vaccine was so he didn't develop autism. He started talking about how there are chemicals in the water that turn people gay, how sunscreen is actually the thing that gives you skin cancer and not the sun. He praised Hitler as a genius, while quickly mentioning that he was a bad person but he was a GENIUS. 

I was floored. The dude was a walking, talking, breathing caricature of all of the absurd things I have only seen people on the internet talk about. And I had to sit on a boat with this guy for eight hours. I was ready to drown myself by the end of the day.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 12:12 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I had the unfortunate experience of being around a person like this last weekend. Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are conservative, and that's fine. They are your run of the mill conservatives, but I hadn't yet met any extremists - until last weekend. My wife is friends with a lady at work and they invited us to the lake. We already know these people, and she is a nice lady but her boyfriend is a massive, massive, douche. I so strongly dislike him. Learning about his political beliefs made me dislike him even more. 

He started talking about how slavery is often mischaracterized and many of the slaves were happy/grateful to be in the situation they were in. He started talking about how, on a trip to Bahrain, he saw many slaves and they all seemed "so happy" to be able to work and get paid some kind of meager salary. He followed it up by saying he would love to see "every liberal ***** go work in those conditions" so he could listen to them complain. It didn't end there, though. He started talking about how the Amish don't have any recorded autistic kids because they don't vaccinate their children and that the reason he didn't get the COVID vaccine was so he didn't develop autism. He started talking about how there are chemicals in the water that turn people gay, how sunscreen is actually the thing that gives you skin cancer and not the sun. He praised Hitler as a genius, while quickly mentioning that he was a bad person but he was a GENIUS. 

I was floored. The dude was a walking, talking, breathing caricature of all of the absurd things I have only seen people on the internet talk about. And I had to sit on a boat with this guy for eight hours. I was ready to drown myself by the end of the day.

That's amusing that he said many people are happy to be slaves and then wished that liberals were enslaved and subjected to that so they could be miserable.  Funny how he didn't hope someone threw chains on him and enslaved him for his own good.

I guess it sort of make sense in a weird way.  As a well to do white person, I'd fight to the death to avoid anything I consider an infringement on my rights, but if I were a lowly black person I'd be grateful if a government of white people decided to enslave me.  It's my duty to fight for everything I deserve , but other people deserve to be enslaved and they should willingly accept if not celebrate it.  I had a republican gf during the whole 9/11 "Bush and the government will keep you safe if you let them infringe a bit" who stated that internment camps weren't such a big deal, and if she and people like her had to be put in them for the good of the nation she would do it.  Her brother was a Coke drinker and he once told me he wouldn't do a commercial for Pepsi if they offered him $10 million bucks.  People sure are brave when they aren't the ones holding the head of the monkey that someone else is diddling.

You got on a boat with this guy?  Oof.  You're lucky he didn't sail you off to a MAGA reeducation camp for your own good.
Reply/Quote
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harris-is-brazenly-lying-about-floridas-slavery-curriculum/

Apologies, I can’t view the OP article, this seems to include the curriculum. Is the bolded bit in there what this is about?
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 05:01 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harris-is-brazenly-lying-about-floridas-slavery-curriculum/

Apologies, I can’t view the OP article, this seems to include the curriculum. Is the bolded bit in there what this is about?
  • Instruction includes how slavery among indigenous peoples of the Americas was utilized prior to and after European colonization.

One thing I read in that reminded me of an interesting tidbit in Civil War history, which was the last Confederate General to surrender was Stand Watie. Watie was 3/4's Cherokee, and was even a major slaveholder prior to the war, as was his father before him.

History definitely isn't as ideal as some want it to be.

Also prior to the Civil War, there were roughly I think 3700 free black Americans that owned slaves, like around 12 to 13 thousand or so. Granted the latter number is quite small compared to the total number, but at the same time slavery was viewed entirely differently around the world back then for the most part which existed for thousands of years prior.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Other than people being quoted being upset, I didn't see that anywhere in the article where it talked about slavery benifitting black people other than the part of the story where they talked to the Education Chancellor and the article said: He denied the new standards portray slavery as beneficial.

I still would never want to move to Florida, and they sure sound like they're doing some trash things to their education down there that certainly should be worrying, but this article seems like clickbait tabloid garbage unless there's something in there I am missing. The meat of the story that actually seems like it has some factual backing to it is about some riot in 1920, which does sound troubling but has nothing to do with the title or this thread.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if someone could goad DeSantis into dropping an n-bomb. I think it's possible. Imagine how pissed all the woke folk would get.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 11:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Other than people being quoted being upset, I didn't see that anywhere in the article where it talked about slavery benifitting black people other than the part of the story where they talked to the Education Chancellor and the article said: He denied the new standards portray slavery as beneficial.

I still would never want to move to Florida, and they sure sound like they're doing some trash things to their education down there that certainly should be worrying, but this article seems like clickbait tabloid garbage unless there's something in there I am missing. The meat of the story that actually seems like it has some factual backing to it is about some riot in 1920, which does sound troubling but has nothing to do with the title or this thread.

So far I have not either. And I agree with almost all the lesson goals. Some were very good at a general level, much better than when I was in school.

I'm worried the devil may be in the details.

Black people also owned slaves too; Blacks may have killed whites to during a massacre/burning of a black community, special attention to slavery in Africa; northern states had slavery too. The U.S. Constitution was the instrument of redress.

BLAME is not good history, but I'm wondering if this new curriculum is striving to go the other direction.

EVERYONE was doing it so no way to address the legacy of racism and slavery. Besides it's already done.

That's possible. But I've always wanted to see a curriculum which addressed the evolution of race law from the 17th century, the transformation of indentured servitude to slavery, etc., as this one still does. There are lots of good things here. What sort of "guidance" will teachers have? What will they be warned away from? Wish Bpat were here to weigh in on this one.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 09:42 PM)Millhouse Wrote:
  • Instruction includes how slavery among indigenous peoples of the Americas was utilized prior to and after European colonization.

One thing I read in that reminded me of an interesting tidbit in Civil War history, which was the last Confederate General to surrender was Stand Watie. Watie was 3/4's Cherokee, and was even a major slaveholder prior to the war, as was his father before him.

History definitely isn't as ideal as some want it to be.

Also prior to the Civil War, there were roughly I think 3700 free black Americans that owned slaves, like around 12 to 13 thousand or so. Granted the latter number is quite small compared to the total number, but at the same time slavery was viewed entirely differently around the world back then for the most part which existed for thousands of years prior.

Keep in mind that many of the black owned slaves were actually family members of the slave owners. Not all of course, but it was common that a slave who either bought their freedom or was emancipated to go back and buy their parents, wives, children, etc. with an eye on freeing them when they could

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2023, 05:01 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kamala-harris-is-brazenly-lying-about-floridas-slavery-curriculum/

Maybe this part...which was actually what the article was talking about?

Quote:Examine the various duties and trades performed by slaves (e.g., agricultural work, painting, carpentry, tailoring, domestic service, blacksmithing, transportation).  Benchmark Clarifications: Clarification 1: Instruction includes how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit. 

Throw in they need to "instruct" that white people were slaves too sometimes!!everyone used slaves!!  Not just white people!! Even the Muslims!!

Toss in that slaves were "Better off" in the US than slaves in other places and we're on our way to getting rid of that "white guilt" we hear so much about these days!  LMAO!
Reply/Quote
https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-panelist-vp-harris-completely-made-up-florida-slavery-curriculum-claim

Gee, even far left liberal news CNN sees this as 100% made up.

It is the go to for liberals...Conservatives are racist bigots and religious fanatics.

Democrats can't run on the Biden economy, the handling of Covid was a disaster, trade deficit has increased with China, Biden pull out of troops in Afghanistan was disaster. Add in Biden's suspicion of taking a bribe and the man looks unstable physically and mentally. The defund the police is a disaster. The war on crime in liberal cities and states has created more crime and same individuals doing same crimes over and over again. The border is open except where Trump built the wall and Texas put up barriers. Same barriers Biden wants taken down so more illegal immigrants can enter daily/

So it is easy to see attack Trump and all conservatives as the main tactic, they sure can't run on Biden policy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote