Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
For the Whitworth faithful
(10-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't take PFF as the gospel, but they have been one of Whit's biggest supporters and they have noted a big downturn in his play.  And honestly, OL stats are 100% subjective.  I simply find the one pressure argument misleading when I know we've discussed another sack fumble he's given up on these boards already.

I completely disagree with your OL vs OC argument.  We averaged 4.5 points/game the first two games with Zampese vs 25 a game with Lazor.  That's why they started slow.  You can't really argue it's the OL when the OC has made a 20.5 point difference.  Our OL is still a weakness, but they are good enough to win with the other pieces we have.

His cap hit is not minimal if cut.  It's more than half the teams in the league's total dead money for 2017, 1/4 if prorated over two years.  Posters have tried to spin it as minimal, but it is still a large number looking at total dead money for teams.

The Ravens beat us 20-0.  Having Whit doesn't change that outcome.  We didn't score a TD against Houston, so I highly doubt he makes a difference there.  We beat GB if the D holds against the 3 minute drill.

If he is cut the cap hit would be less than the salary cap increase for 2017 alone and still have $2 million more to spend on players.

How far under the cap are the Bengals currently? Twelve million under. The Bengals could still fit Whit on the roster and STILL be $3 million under the cap.

To put it another way, if cut his dead money would be 3.6% of this year's cap or 1.8% if prorated. But, it would actually be less than that percentage because the salary cap will most likely increase the next two years like it does every year. To put that in perspective, this year's cap is $167 million. Let's say I give you $1.67 instead of $167 million and tell to go buy some candy at The Dollar Store. Let's say I subtracted Whit's dead money from your candy allowance. You would only be able to spend $1.61 instead of $1.67 because of Whit's dead money or $1.64 if you prorated the money. So as you can see, your candy buying ability wouldn't be greatly impacted by three or six cents.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:20 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Adam Jones is the main reason we have not been tore apart by number one WR for years. Why was people calling for his head this year over a misdemeanor. Some players people don't like its my choice to like him or not not yours or anyone elses here why cant I have my own opinion on this? I don't think he is a good leader and thought he gave up too many pressures in the last few years. With his age and him coming into a contract year it was time for him to go. I have not been a fan for a few years of his still rooted for him cause he was a Bengal but would rather get new guys so we might have a chance of a true leader emerging and take over in that aspect. Again I can have my own view I don't have to share your views on the issue and your barking up the wrong tree if you think my view will change.

Maybe if your dislike was in any way based in reality, it might not seem so dumb.  He's widely acknowledged as a great leader and both the film and the numbers say he is still one of the best in the game.  Most of what you say about him is just pure fabrication.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'd take him back he'd easily be our best lineman
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 11:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: What did you guys do with the money you saved when we didn't sign Whitworth?  I got this swell invisible Rolex!

Super sweet invisible Lambo. The background really makes it pop too. Sorry about the overall size, you just don't get the same effect from a smaller one (that's what she said).

[Image: On-The-Side-Of-The-Road.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 09:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: If it was, I wouldn't be posting on here.  Of course, it's easy to play fast and loose in fantasy land with someone else's money.

However, my main concern is the salary cap and not wanting to overpay an aging player who is on the downslide and only going to get worse.  Being honest, there are lots of T's in the league that are better than Og and Fisher.  Hell, Andre Smith has proven to be better, and he's not a $12 million a year player, either.  

I can't fathom why a fanbase who wanted Peko cut for years because he was overpaid, wants MJ cut because he's overpaid, and wants Pac Man cut because he's overpaid would continue to say we should've overpaid to keep Whit.  If he was still playing at an elite level, then you can definitely make a case for us paying him what he got or FT'ing him,but he's backslid to a middle of the pack T not worthy of an elite contract.

Lol, we have plenty of salary cap available to have signed whit. Your argument is laughable at best. He would be a HUGE upgrade to this offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 07:06 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Lol, we have plenty of salary cap available to have signed whit. Your argument is laughable at best. He would be a HUGE upgrade to this offensive line. 

I still believe that if he wanted to be here, he would be here.

But, it's almost nice that he isn't.  That way we aren't under any delusions that this team is better than it actually is, and some of the problems that are masked by exceptional players wouldn't have come to light.  Problems like slack coaches for the OL, OC, and HC positions;  Not to mention the fact that the team's philosophy of spending as little as possible on interior linemen is now greatly exposed.

Sure, if Whitworth were on this team, they might be 4-1 or even 5-0, who knows?  Everyone would be on cloud nine, thinking this is really going to be the year, just like in '15, only to get completely dressed down by a team truly build for Championship contention with superior coaching.

Do I miss Whitworth being on the team?  Hell yes, he was my favorite player for a long time.  But, he's only one guy, and he can't possibly cover for all of the underlying problems with this team.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 10:20 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Ravens beat us 20-0.  Having Whit doesn't change that outcome.  We didn't score a TD against Houston, so I highly doubt he makes a difference there.  We beat GB if the D holds against the 3 minute drill.

What the hell is this drivel?

You mean the Ravens game where Andy got sacked 5 times?

I think Whit would have made a difference there.

Actually after watching the current O-line if Whit started at LT, and Andre started at RT from the beginning, I believe this team would have won.

They may be old, but they are light years better than Og/Fisher.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I still believe that if he wanted to be here, he would be here.

I'm more inclined to believe if Mike Brown wanted him to be here, he would be here.

(10-09-2017, 07:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do I miss Whitworth being on the team?  Hell yes, he was my favorite player for a long time.  But, he's only one guy, and he can't possibly cover for all of the underlying problems with this team.  

He sure is one guy, and he sure can't cover for all the underlying problems...one of which being an owner who values cap space over protecting tens of millions of dollars worth of QB/RB/WR etc.  Less o-line means less offense means more players with big salaries getting less done.  Less bang for your buck.

The money saved by not extending the guy doesn't cover the loss of productivity from the rest of the offense, so sayeth I.  That's just bad business, but owning an NFL team isn't normal business so the normal rules don't apply.  
Reply/Quote
I'm still waiting for my Zane Gonzalez fans.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote