Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fort Trump
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-poland/trump-says-u-s-considering-permanent-military-presence-in-poland-idUSKCN1LY2NJ?il=0

Quote:President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the United States is considering a request from Poland for a permanent U.S. military presence in the fellow NATO country, acknowledging that he shares Poland’s concerns about possible Russian aggression.

Polish President Andrzej Duda asked Trump for a permanent U.S. base during a White House meeting, offering to name it “Fort Trump,” and explaining it would be a bulwark against what he considers a threat from Russia.

Oh please, please, please let this happen. I've said for some time we should get away from Germany and expand more into other regions, where we are more appreciated. Let Merkle bytch about the US while we move our bases to Poland on their dime.

Plus i cannot deny the entertainment value of the heads that would explode if we named the first one FT. Trump.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Interesting.

Putin wouldn't like it. But I don't think he would be overly concerned with a small U.S. presence there.

As for Germany, I could see Trump trying to sell a small presence in Poland for a massive draw-down in Germany for sheer political or spite reasons (he seems entirely unconcerned with doing things for national defense considerations). And there may be some places we could cut troop levels in Germany. But Germany is our European logistical hub, especially around Ramstein A.F.B. That won't be changing anytime in the near future.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(09-18-2018, 08:40 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Interesting.

Putin wouldn't like it. But I don't think he would be overly concerned with a small U.S. presence there.

As for Germany, I could see Trump trying to sell a small presence in Poland for a massive draw-down in Germany for sheer political or spite reasons (he seems entirely unconcerned with doing things for national defense considerations). And there may be some places we could cut troop levels in Germany. But Germany is our European logistical hub, especially around Ramstein A.F.B. That won't be changing anytime in the near future.

Troops in Poland would be the perfect National Defense consideration to draw down in Germany. Isn't the reason we're there is to protect them from Russia? I mean, not Russian oil, just everything else Russian.

BTW, the sig never gets old even if it's not 100% accurate.

(09-18-2018, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Plus i cannot deny the entertainment value of the heads that would explode if we named the first one FT. Trump.

He could televise his negotiating against himself regarding licensing fees.  10/10 would tune in.
I’m torn between the gag factor and the entertainment value of the name. Would Poland actually have a say in the name though?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Eh, if they're gonna put a base in and name it after Trump it might as well be in a country that got routinely run over every war.

He can put a picture of it next to "his" purple heart" and Time magazine cover.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
More like Ft. Bone Spur

*pause for laughter*
(09-18-2018, 09:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m torn between the gag factor and the entertainment value of the name. Would Poland actually have a say in the name though?

Well it does state Poland is willing to put $2 Billion toward the endeavor; I'd let then have a seat at the table.

But honestly. I'd find it quite insulting to name it FT Trump, but the over the top reactions could sooth my insolence.

Hard pass. We need fewer overseas bases, not new ones. 800+ costing $100 bln a year.

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/18/8600659/military-bases-united-states
We have the best forts, don't we folks? Big, big and beautiful. So great. It really is.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(09-18-2018, 09:57 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hard pass. We need fewer overseas bases, not new ones. 800+ costing $100 bln a year.

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/18/8600659/military-bases-united-states

That's my stance. Germany is one of the handful of bases I'd keep open (about six internationally).
(09-19-2018, 09:52 AM)Benton Wrote: That's my stance. Germany is one of the handful of bases I'd keep open (about six internationally).

I could live with that number. We really only need regional bases these days with the military's ability to carry troops and weaponry via planes.
Many Administrations have opted against a fort in Poland. Brilliant move for Polish President to play towards Trumps ego to get what he's wanted. Brilliant. That's how you get things done with this POTUS. Play to his insecurities, and boost his ego.

If that fails, just offer a deal with his kids that will make the family money. Everyone knows how to play Trump at this point. We've seen it from nearly every world leader.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-18-2018, 10:15 PM)6andcounting Wrote: We have the best forts, don't we folks? Big, big and beautiful. So great. It really is.

https://youtu.be/zVwFADi4Y38
(09-19-2018, 09:52 AM)Benton Wrote: That's my stance. Germany is one of the handful of bases I'd keep open (about six internationally).

Why should we continue to infuse money into Germany's economy? We should go where the Country's leaders want/need us.

(09-19-2018, 12:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why should we continue to infuse money into Germany's economy? We should go where the Country's leaders want/need us.

How about we do what is in the best interest of the United Sates instead of just serving countries that suck up to us the most?

I realize you care more about making Democrats upset than actual national security, but that is not a logical basis for making national security decisions.
(09-19-2018, 12:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How about we do what is in the best interest of the United Sates instead of just serving countries that suck up to us the most?

I realize you care more about making Democrats upset than actual national security, but that is not a logical basis for making national security decisions.

Our reason for being in Germany is to "protect them from Russia". Last time I looked at a globe Poland is between Russia and Poland. A perfect place to be. Moving bases from Germany to Poland does absolutely nothing to weaken our National Defense and Poland is willing to pay a huge part of the bill.

Upset Democrats is just a nice bonus.

(09-19-2018, 12:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why should we continue to infuse money into Germany's economy? We should go where the Country's leaders want/need us.

Give it up. America is not turning on our Allies for your beloved Russia. These Russian talking points are lame.

We stand with NATO, and the men and women that has fought along side of us to defend our freedom.

Sorry Trump supporters. We know you hate Germany, France, UK, Canada, and the rest of the Free World, but it ain't happening.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-19-2018, 12:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: Give it up. America is not turning on our Allies for your beloved Russia. These Russian talking points are lame.

We stand with NATO, and the men and women that has fought along side of us to defend our freedom.

Sorry Trump supporters. We know you hate Germany, France, UK, Canada, and the rest of the Free World, but it ain't happening.

No doubt that "my beloved Russia" would absolutely love us having a base in Poland. I don't think folks "hate" the rest of the free world, but some may be tired of them being our dependents.

See? The above is one of those bonuses I was talking about.

(09-19-2018, 12:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: Give it up. America is not turning on our Allies for your beloved Russia. These Russian talking points are lame.

Further proof that if someone just say nice things about Trump he's willing to anything.  And how much he loves his name on stuff.   Cool

And how quick his supporters will throw their support of our country out the window for one man. Smirk