Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Foster Moreau Visits
I don’t watch a lot of college football, but after the combine I was walking around with a hard on wanting Washington in stripes, I know Mayer is a local kid but he didn’t stand out to me.

Plus Washington would be back ally adding another lineman Burrow could do the washing up before throwing the ball he would have that much time.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 08:33 PM)OSUfan Wrote: His receiving ability is not unknown. There is not a player in the draft that has known receiving ability in the NFL because they are not there yet. In the following highlight video what you can take away from it is that Washington is a natural pass catcher that has no issue catching a ball in traffic and who understands how to settle into the open spots in a zone which is what the Bengals ask their TEs to do on a regular basis. You can also take from the video that he is a tough tackle with the ball in his hands and is looking for yards after the catch.

The ceiling on Washington is extremely high which is what you want from a first round selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7SbLkZ4_Pg

(03-17-2023, 08:59 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea. As that Video shows Darnell Washington is a dangerous TE-Y especially down the seam in play action which was most of that highlight video. In fact all but one of those highlight catches were on routes he was running in a straight line. The only breaking route was the only WR route he ran and it was a 10 yard stick with the coverage so far off he didnt have to break down. 

I have defended Darnell Washington and his skill set a ton now that the combine has given him a huge spotlight I feel like I spend time tempering expectations for him lol. He has a good chance of being one of the elite TE-Y because of his blocking dude is big long and powerful. As a receiver those highlights are what your getting he is probably not a guy your gonna line up in the slot on 3rd and long and ask to run a quick option route vs man coverage. Hes gonna be a play action guy you can get way down field and let jump guys. 

(03-17-2023, 10:10 PM)Housh Wrote: Don’t need a route tree If you are gonna be wide open for 80% of your passes

His big body will allow him to catch tight covered passes too

He’s gonna be a guy that excels in the NFL game compares to what he did in college. Good luck trying to tackle him on plays like 3rd and 2

A TE defitniely needs to be able to run routes in the NFL, but not just run them but win them in order to be a truly successful TE in the league.  Synric is correct, he is catching slip passes off blocks or running straight seams. 

We all really like the guy, he isa physical beast, but he has caught like 40 passes in his entire college career.  Musgrave has only caught a few as well but he can run every route and win.  The PFF guys made a lot of sense questioning if a guy that is going to catch 2-3 passes per game simply coming off blocks is truly worth a 1st Round pick... especially for a team that passes as much as we do.  A team like the Titans? No doubt he would be optimal.  

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 07:31 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well, i'm of the opposite mind, with OBJr, I'm looking for DE/DL/LB/CB in the first couple rounds. Maybe RB in later rounds. 
Offensively, where should we try to improve? TE is about all, but we can still sign one then draft one in later rounds. 

I would think get D and prepare for some more players to be FA's at end of season.
Maybe like DJ Turner (CB) or Jack Campbell or Trent Simpson (LB if we don't get Wilson extended).
basically, we are almost in a really good spot to just go BPA. 

0 or 1 TE and waiting to see what they do with Mixon. They need another interior pass rusher and maybe another corner, but TE is the spot really lacking right now. They need to get chunk plays and get a good pass blocking RB and Mixon is too costly. IMO, this needs to be more about offense this draft.
Reply/Quote
I’m all in on Washington, he would end up a pro-bowl player. Washington’s yards after catch stats have to be impressive and his size and athleticism will translate well the the NFL. Any tight end that can catch a 4 yard pass and get you the first down the majority of the time is super valuable, we ran a lot of those last year. He also can go up the seam, kids a beast. Mayer looks somewhat slow to me, he’s got great hands but he’s not getting you first downs with short dumps over middle and I don’t think he’s going to outrunning or overpowering linebackers like Washington can. Washington’s blocking is impressive also and we need the line help. I’d be excited for Washington in first round but think we should go RB or Tackle if it’s not Washington.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 07:04 PM)pulses Wrote: Wilcox and sample  prob won't be back....who else do they have???
Exactly.They don't have any right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 07:13 PM)pulses Wrote: Asiasi is garbage and this draft class is deep on TE's they are gonna draft one you can count on that.

Maybe 2
Reply/Quote
The best two TE prospects I’ve seen since Gronk/Hernandez were out of Iowa four years ago and aren’t with the teams that drafted them. If you draft one in round one you aren’t doing your job.
Reply/Quote
I can get behind this.
Draft a tight end in the 3rd as well.
Maybe bring sample back for cheap.
Call it good.

Invest more in the secondary, oline, dline.
Draft a running back.
Add depth.
Sign burrow and Higgins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 08:25 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Thats fair... very interested to see how his career pans out in Stripes or not!

Moreau and a 3rd or 4th rounder on a Tight End I can get behind if they don't go with Mayer or Washington

Josh Whyle.

Keep him home.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought Moreau was gonna be TE1 for the Raiders when I saw that Waller was traded. I didn’t realize Moreau was a FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 12:34 AM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I thought Moreau was gonna be TE1 for the Raiders when I saw that Waller was traded. I didn’t realize Moreau was a FA.

Makes me think they don’t give a rats ass about Jimmy G
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:18 PM)SladeX Wrote: If we land a good FA TE, then we can draft strictly BPA. Which I’m totally down with.

Judd: Totally?
Me: Totally

Good Breakfast Club reference Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 07:31 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well, i'm of the opposite mind, with OBJr, I'm looking for DE/DL/LB/CB in the first couple rounds. Maybe RB in later rounds. 
Offensively, where should we try to improve? TE is about all, but we can still sign one then draft one in later rounds. 

I would think get D and prepare for some more players to be FA's at end of season.
Maybe like DJ Turner (CB) or Jack Campbell or Trent Simpson (LB if we don't get Wilson extended).
basically, we are almost in a really good spot to just go BPA. 

I'd love to see them go defense in round 1 at least.  There's going to be way too much attrition on that side of the ball in the current offseason and in 2024.  They won't be able to to retain all of Reader, Hendrickson, Hilton, and Awuzie.  They should get ahead of it now like they did last season when they drafted Hill.

The offense doesn't run enough to invest major draft capital in a running back.  Our main guy only got 20 carries a game last season.  The team that won the Super Bowl only ran the ball when they absolutely had no choice.  Even when effective, KC had zero interest in it until protecting an injured Mahomes became a priority.  

TEs won't get much run here, either.  I can see more justification if you intend to use a TE to replace Higgins/Boyd in the future, but as an immediate need, it's not there.  They could sign a guy like Moreau and draft a mid round guy.  The offense shouldn't miss a beat.  The o-line should be greatly improved, they receiving corps is the undisputed best in the league, and the quaterback isn't far off.  TE just ain't that big of an issue.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 12:54 AM)Housh Wrote: Makes me think they don’t give a rats ass about Jimmy G

They just signed Jakobi Meyers, so now Jimmy G has a top tier WR trio.

Devante Adams (b2b >1500 yard seasons)
Jakobi Meyers (b2b >800 yard seasons)
Hunter Renfrow (had >1k yards in '21, but was hurt in '22)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Moreau makes sense on a similar contract that to gave Hurst, maybe a two year though... little doubt we will use the draft to try to find that more impactful TE we have been missing, if we sign Moreau less urgent to look 1st round, if we don;t sign any TEs in FA, I hope Mayer is there when we pick in 1st... most polished TE in the draft and a home town boy that will just add to being committed to excel like Hubbard
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:42 PM)casear2727 Wrote: A TE defitniely needs to be able to run routes in the NFL, but not just run them but win them in order to be a truly successful TE in the league.  Synric is correct, he is catching slip passes off blocks or running straight seams. 

We all really like the guy, he isa physical beast, but he has caught like 40 passes in his entire college career.  Musgrave has only caught a few as well but he can run every route and win.  The PFF guys made a lot of sense questioning if a guy that is going to catch 2-3 passes per game simply coming off blocks is truly worth a 1st Round pick... especially for a team that passes as much as we do.  A team like the Titans? No doubt he would be optimal.  
I really like the assumptions that can be made as fact. Is Washington incapable of running other routes or did the Georgia offense just not ask him too? You are stating he only catches passes coming off of blocks but also acknowledge him being a seam threat...so which is it. Can you explain to me how it is that someone can know that in the Bengals offense that he is only going to catch 2-3 passes a game coming off of blocks? I find these silly notions sorry.

However, we can laud a guy like Musgrave that is a very average blocker, something a TE for Cincinnati must do, and who has demonstrated a very average catch radius. Then there is the fact that there combine testing shows nearly identical results for the events both competed in with Washington actually demonstrating his feet in the 20 yard shuttle while Musgrave did not.

What is even more hysterical is we are talking number of catches a game yet Washington in three seasons caught 45 balls for 774 yards while Musgrave in four seasons (senior season only 2 games because of a major knee injury...should we factor this as well) caught 47 balls for 633 yards. Oh yeah and then there was that major knee injury he is coming off of.

A questioned posed earlier is Washington a guy you throw a quick out to on 3rd and long and expect to create? Well you tell me by watching at :20. At 1:18 do you believe that Musgrave has demonstrated the catch radius to catch this pass? At 1:21 oh yeah that quick out and creating again. Oh yeah 2:59 that quick out yet again and creating for a first down. At 3:31 can you tell me you believe Musgrave is going to do this? Oh Hey 3:55 there is that quick out again and creating yet once again for a long first down.

I guess I am confused when I watch the agility of this man after the catch why people would believe he is incapable of running other routes? I then ask when I watch this highlight tape what else you would really want to see from that demonstrates the dominant strengths this man brings to the offense of a football team?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymu1OA0czBk
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Moreau makes sense on a similar contract that to gave Hurst, maybe a two year though... little doubt we will use the draft to try to find that more impactful TE we have been missing, if we sign Moreau less urgent to look 1st round, if we don;t sign any TEs in FA, I hope Mayer is there when we pick in 1st... most polished TE in the draft and a home town boy that will just add to being committed to excel like Hubbard

I would sign Moreau to a multi year deal 2-3 years and still look for a TE in the first 3 rounds of the draft and if it is going to be a first round selection then I hope it would be the completely dominant freak that is Darnell Washington...and I don't care where he is from.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Moreau makes sense on a similar contract that to gave Hurst, maybe a two year though... little doubt we will use the draft to try to find that more impactful TE we have been missing, if we sign Moreau less urgent to look 1st round, if we don;t sign any TEs in FA, I hope Mayer is there when we pick in 1st... most polished TE in the draft and a home town boy that will just add to being committed to excel like Hubbard

Moreau is better downfield than Hurst
 But I agree...more than a year so we're not looking for a new TE every year.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I really like the assumptions that can be made as fact. Is Washington incapable of running other routes or did the Georgia offense just not ask him too? You are stating he only catches passes coming off of blocks but also acknowledge him being a seam threat...so which is it. Can you explain to me how it is that someone can know that in the Bengals offense that he is only going to catch 2-3 passes a game coming off of blocks? I find these silly notions sorry.

However, we can laud a guy like Musgrave that is a very average blocker, something a TE for Cincinnati must do, and who has demonstrated a very average catch radius. Then there is the fact that there combine testing shows nearly identical results for the events both competed in with Washington actually demonstrating his feet in the 20 yard shuttle while Musgrave did not.

What is even more hysterical is we are talking number of catches a game yet Washington in three seasons caught 45 balls for 774 yards while Musgrave in four seasons (senior season only 2 games because of a major knee injury...should we factor this as well) caught 47 balls for 633 yards. Oh yeah and then there was that major knee injury he is coming off of.

A questioned posed earlier is Washington a guy you throw a quick out to on 3rd and long and expect to create? Well you tell me by watching at :20. At 1:18 do you believe that Musgrave has demonstrated the catch radius to catch this pass? At 1:21 oh yeah that quick out and creating again. Oh yeah 2:59 that quick out yet again and creating for a first down. At 3:31 can you tell me you believe Musgrave is going to do this? Oh Hey 3:55 there is that quick out again and creating yet once again for a long first down.

I guess I am confused when I watch the agility of this man after the catch why people would believe he is incapable of running other routes? I then ask when I watch this highlight tape what else you would really want to see from that demonstrates the dominant strengths this man brings to the offense of a football team?

TE Option Route is a type of Route. The TE either has the option depending on the coverage to either break in, out, or sit down. Because Washington's legs are so long and hips are high dropping his hips and exploding at the stem on breaking routes will never be his thing. 

Pacman was talking about Chris Henry Jr on Pat McAfee the other day and mentioned he's a 6'5 freshmen in high school. He said CHjr is scared that he is going to grow 3 more inches and won't be able to play football and have to play basketball. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I really like the assumptions that can be made as fact. Is Washington incapable of running other routes or did the Georgia offense just not ask him too? You are stating he only catches passes coming off of blocks but also acknowledge him being a seam threat...so which is it. Can you explain to me how it is that someone can know that in the Bengals offense that he is only going to catch 2-3 passes a game coming off of blocks? I find these silly notions sorry.

There is no way in hell i draft Musgrave in the 1st Round either. But he has shown he can WIN running routes.  Some people dont kknow what that means apparently....  There are a million running backs with much greater agility that CANNOT run routes.  

Washington is slipping off blocks to catch passes and running straight lines.  I remember when I used to get all worked up over players running around real fast and strong in shorts at the combine.. the guy just doesn't have the production... 40 catches in his college career?  And Im not saying I dont like him and wouldnt want him to be on the team, just that a 1st round pick is high with his lack of production. 

This is my favorite part of your strange comments:  "I really like the assumptions that can be made as fact. "  I stated a fact, he has never shown a route tree and YOU ARE THRE ONE ASSUMING HE WILL BE TONY GONZALES based on.... the combine?  His majority of catches that were late releases?

You are making all the assumptions.  And yes 2-3 receptions per game is about the average for our offense...  You know just enough to have a conversation about things but then you step out with something that is just totally wrong....

I would probably be willing to bet that no team takes him in the 1st Round.... you want to take a wager?

Reply/Quote