Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Fox News continues climb in ratings
I don't get why this is so hard...people watch Fox News for the same reason I listen to to The Beatles or Billy Joel and not gangsta rap; people choose to listen to what they want to hear. For-profit news is a product just like anything else. I don't turn on the top 40, I put a Dark Side Of the Moon CD I bought when I was 14 in the player because that's what I want to hear. I don't care what is cool or right or wrong or speaks to the youth or blah blah blah. I want to hear what I want to hear. Give me what I want, or you don't get my attention and my dollar.

People acting like Fox News is the best because they have the best ratings are like people saying Justin Bieber is clearly awesome because he sold 150 million albums and my favorite album of all time peaked at #163 in 1972. Believe what you want to believe, just admit you do it because you like it. Or you can convince yourself you've got the corner on truth, but don't get too upset when everyone doesn't agree.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 11:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't get why this is so hard...people watch Fox News for the same reason I listen to to The Beatles or Billy Joel and not gangsta rap; people choose to listen to what they want to hear.  For-profit news is a product just like anything else.  I don't turn on the top 40, I put a Dark Side Of the Moon CD I bought when I was 14 in the player because that's what I want to hear.  I don't care what is cool or right or wrong or speaks to the youth or blah blah blah.  I want to hear what I want to hear.  Give me what I want, or you don't get my attention and my dollar.

People acting like Fox News is the best because they have the best ratings are like people saying Justin Bieber is clearly awesome because he sold 150 million albums and my favorite album of all time peaked at #163 in 1972.  Believe what you want to believe, just admit you do it because you like it.  Or you can convince yourself you've got the corner on truth, but don't get too upset when everyone doesn't agree.

Ratings, sales, all of that is just for marketing.

People like what they makes them feel good.

Good answer.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/26/business/fox-news-gold-star-family-apology/index.html

Quote:[color=var(--theme-headline__text-color)]Fox News apologizes to Gold Star family after facing backlash over false story
[Image: c_thumb,g_face,w_100,h_100]
By Oliver Darcy, CNN Business
Updated 8:29 PM EDT, Sat August 26, 2023
[/color]
[Image: 230826195357-fox-news-headquarters-file-...280,c_fill]
People walk past Fox News posters on the News Corporation and Fox News headquarters building in Manhattan in New York City on April 24, 2023.

Mike Segar/Reuters

CNN — 
Fox News apologized Saturday to a Gold Star family for publishing a false story last month claiming that the family had to pay $60,000 to ship the remains of their fallen relative back from Afghanistan because the Pentagon refused to pay.

“The now unpublished story has been addressed internally and we sincerely apologize to the Gee family,” a Fox News spokesperson said in a statement, referencing the family of fallen Marine Sgt. Nicole Gee, who was one of 13 service members killed in a terror attack at the Kabul airport in 2021 while assisting with US withdrawal efforts.

The apology came after a Military.com report this week drew attention to the issue and indicated that the right-wing outlet’s top executives had repeatedly been notified by senior members of the Marine Corps that it was pushing a false story.

In an email to Fox News President Jay Wallace and other network personnel, Marine Corps spokesman Maj. James Stenger privately accused the outlet of capitalizing off Gee’s death “to score cheap clickbait points,” according to documents obtained by Military.com through a public records request.

[Image: 230826195837-nicole-gee-2021.jpg?c=16x9&...280,c_fill]
In this August 20, 2021, image provided by the US Marine Corps, Sgt. Nicole Gee is seen calming an infant during an evacuation at Kabul airport in Afghanistan. Officials said on August 28, 2021, that Gee was among the Marines killed in a bombing at the airport.

Sgt. Isaiah Campbell/US Marine Corps/AP

Stenger, who is the top spokesman for the Marine Corps, added that he viewed the behavior of Fox News as “disgusting,” according to Military.com.

Initially, after being notified about the false report, Fox News only changed the headline on the story to attribute the claims to Republican Rep. Cory Mills of Florida, who had advanced the narrative but later recanted. The outlet later scrubbed the story from its website without a correction or explanation. It remained deleted on Saturday after the apology.

Deleting an entire story is exceedingly rare in news media and is seen as a last-ditch measure if the entire premise of the article is incorrect. Deleting a story without offering readers an explanation or correction is widely considered to be unethical.

In this case, Fox News did not publicly address the incident until the Military.com story ignited backlash against the outlet.

While unethical, the behavior is typical for Fox News. The outlet often breaks traditional news ethics and traffics in dishonest reporting and commentary.

Earlier this year, Fox News settled a defamation case with election technology company Dominion Voting Systems over lies related to the 2020 election. Fox News paid Dominion a historic $787 million to avoid a trial.

Fox News, however, still faces a $2.7 billion lawsuit from voting technology company Smartmatic. That lawsuit is making its way through the courts system.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
There are making false stories to please their angry viewers ? What a surprise !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Defending Fox is kind of like defending stepping in dog shit and tracking it across your wife's brand new carpet while you're drunk..Sure, you can do it and it might seem like a good idea at the time, but eventually you should sober up..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 10:32 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love jealousy. Funny story, CNN used to be #1 (long time ago)and I was a viewer. Then I figured out they were fake news.

The same CNN and MSNBC who peddled the biggest lie this century. No, Trump did not collude with Russia, but the minions who watched CNN, MSNBC and the other liberal rags bought it. You were duped, but hey say Fox is fake news, but they were the ones who got it right. Fox is the one that will bring down the Biden crime family.

Also funny story and 100% true.  I didn't used to know anything about politics.  If I happened to watch the news it was CNN.  I had no idea news agencies were slanted or tried to push an agenda.  I was that durp.  lol.    I just watched and figured everyone was reporting basically the same stories and info.

Fast forward to Trump announcing the first time.  I was intrigued with the Trump Hillary matchup and started to pay more attention to politics and what was going on.  I would watch CNN as normal.  At some point I started to become dissatisfied with the coverage of Trump compared to Hillary.  Not because I really liked Trump, but because the coverage just seemed so one sided and completely unhinged.  

I specifically remember they started talking about impeachment if Trump were to be elected.  All these panels talking about impeaching and mental abilities well before the election.  I found that completely off-putting and completely unhinged.  Also I watched nothing but glowing reviews of Hillary.  Again, very one sided and unhinged.

Remember, I don't really know much about politics or the candidates at this point, but I could tell something was very wrong with how they were covering each candidate.  It was anything but fair.  This is when I started to learn that different news orgs slanted different ways and had different agendas.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 03:40 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I specifically remember they started talking about impeachment if Trump were to be elected.  All these panels talking about impeaching and mental abilities well before the election.  I found that completely off-putting and completely unhinged.  Also I watched nothing but glowing reviews of Hillary.  Again, very one sided and unhinged.

Remember, I don't really know much about politics or the candidates at this point, but I could tell something was very wrong with how they were covering each candidate.  It was anything but fair.  This is when I started to learn that different news orgs slanted different ways and had different agendas.

Seems like CNN got the impeachment wrong. It would turn out to be TWO impeachments.

Is it possible that Trump got the negative coverage because he was doing negative things, making misogynistic statements about women and making fun of a reporter with a disability, calling Mexican immigrants "rapists", showing himself ignorant of history and policy? 

Perhaps what you call "off-putting and completely unhinged" coverage was a warning about the kind of drama that would follow if Trump were 
elected. They surely got that right. 

The "liberal rags" warned us of the dangers of a Trump presidency, and you dimissed the warning. You wanted news that you liked.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:13 AM)Dill Wrote: Seems like CNN got the impeachment wrong. It would turn out to be TWO impeachments.

Is it possible that Trump got the negative coverage because he was doing negative things, making misogynistic statements about women and making fun of a reporter with a disability, calling Mexican immigrants "rapists", showing himself ignorant of history and policy? 

Perhaps what you call "off-putting and completely unhinged" coverage was a warning about the kind of drama that would follow if Trump were 
elected. They surely got that right. 

The "liberal rags" warned us of the dangers of a Trump presidency, and you dimissed the warning. You wanted news that you liked.

They made plenty of mountains out of mole hills (in regards to Trump, so much that it was even hard to believe half the stuff they kept sprouting) and kissed the Queen's ring.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 01:26 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: They made plenty of mountains out of mole hills (in regards to Trump, so much that it was even hard to believe half the stuff they kept sprouting) and kissed the Queen's ring.  

Some of the “molehills” I remember are 5 bankruptcies, trump foundation and trump university grift, the Hollywood Access tape, and the claim he could make Mexico pay for a Wall—to keep out the “rapists” Mexico “sent” us. Also a refusal to turn over tax records.

Why would anyone have trouble believing matters of public record?

Hillary, on the other hand, was accused of murder, child trafficking and selling 20%of US uranium to the Russians.

So “both sides” did it, but one side kept its claims on factual ground.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 02:56 PM)Dill Wrote: Some of the “molehills” I remember are 5 bankruptcies, trump foundation and trump university grift, the Hollywood Access tape, and the claim he could make Mexico pay for a Wall—to keep out the “rapists” Mexico “sent” us.  Also a refusal to turn over tax records.

Why would anyone have trouble believing matters of public record?

Hillary, on the other hand, was accused of murder, child trafficking and selling 20%of US uranium to the Russians.

So “both sides” did it, but one side kept its claims on factual ground.

Eh.  So Hillary destroying emails wasn't factual?  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 04:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Eh.  So Hillary destroying emails wasn't factual?  

Wait, who, exactly, destroyed Hilary's emails? And how did they come to our attention in the first place?

And how are the answers to those questions to be weighed against the candidacy of a grifter with no political experience 
and no interest in learning his job?

How are they to be weighed against the thesis that Trump got bad press while Hilary was treated like a Queen? 
Reply/Quote