Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
When the Bengals signed Fred Johnson, it was thought to be a wise move. I loved it. Even Steelers bloggers/beat writers acknowledged that it was tough to see him leave Pittsburgh. His physical stature and reach are certainly that of a NFL lineman.

Fast forward to this Sunday. He's no longer a practice squad guard, but a starting LT for the Bengals. Hobspin is calling him the first move of the "offseason" in an episode of what's sure to be "Dumpster Diving With The Inbreds Part Deux".

I got no beef with Johnson as a player. This team needs all the help it can get up front. I just have to question their desire to improve the quality of play/player in that particular group when tossing out a practice squad guard as a starting LT is their idea of proactivity.

It's not about disliking the move. It's about the kind of narrative/activity that will likely follow. Zero significant outside FAs added to help the OL, which has sucked badly since 2015. Keeping the same coach/personnel intact minus Cordy and plus Jonah. Likely selecting a first overall quarterback and sticking him behind this collection of wayward castoffs in his rookie year. What's more, we get to watch another year of a filet mignon running back in Mixon running behind a Vienna sausage offensive line. Idiotic.
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2

Not necessarily, apparently Johnson did well enough last Sunday to earn "significantly more snaps at either Tackle" this week per ZT. Taylor also mentioned Johnson would be a very good candidate as a swing Tackle next year...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:46 AM)samhain Wrote: When the Bengals signed Fred Johnson, it was thought to be a wise move.  I loved it.  Even Steelers bloggers/beat writers acknowledged that it was tough to see him leave Pittsburgh.  His physical  stature and reach are certainly that of a NFL lineman.

Fast forward to this Sunday.  He's no longer a practice squad guard, but a starting LT for the Bengals.  Hobspin is calling him the first move of the "offseason" in an episode of what's sure to be "Dumpster Diving With The Inbreds Part Deux".  

I got no beef with Johnson as a player.  This team needs all the help it can get up front.  I just have to question their desire to improve the quality of play/player in that particular group when tossing out a practice squad guard as a starting LT is their idea of proactivity.  

It's not about disliking the move. It's about the kind of narrative/activity that will likely follow.  Zero significant outside FAs added to help the OL, which has sucked badly since 2015.  Keeping the same coach/personnel intact minus Cordy and plus Jonah.  Likely selecting a first overall quarterback and sticking him behind this collection of wayward castoffs in his rookie year.  What's more, we get to watch another year of a filet mignon running back in Mixon running behind a Vienna sausage offensive line.  Idiotic.

Despite Hobson's narrative, it's not uncommon for teams who are out of it to throw some young players into the fire so they can evaluate them in game action.  You've gotta find out if the kid can compete for a starting job or be a viable swing T.  Johnson has apparently worked at both T spots since arriving here.  Lots of coaches don't like 6'7" IOL.  

Remember, couple of years ago, we wasted a 1st round pick on Billy Price when we already had a solid starting C sitting on the bench in Hopkins.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: Despite Hobson's narrative, it's not uncommon for teams who are out of it to throw some young players into the fire so they can evaluate them in game action.  You've gotta find out if the kid can compete for a starting job or be a viable swing T.  Johnson has apparently worked at both T spots since arriving here.  Lots of coaches don't like 6'7" IOL.  

Remember, couple of years ago, we wasted a 1st round pick on Billy Price when we already had a solid starting C sitting on the bench in Hopkins.  

I don't disagree with the evaluation aspect of it. 

What makes me skeptical is the people in charge of personnel here and there track record/historical tendencies.  They signed Hart as a stopgap because they had two of the worst OTs in the league.  Hart was slightly better and a lot more dependable.  He proceeds to hold down the fort, play extremely poorly, albeit on a consistent basis, and then 2018 ends.  I honest to god thought he was done here.  Then, suddenly he's our starting RT for possibly the next 3 seasons.  

Players don't have to be good for the inbreds to value them.  They can look the part, not get hurt, and be grateful to have jobs and the family will eat it up.  Anything that prevents them from putting in the work of a real NFL front office during free agency.

I hope that Fred Johnson is Willie Anderson reborn.  I hope he gives us what Villanueva gave Pittsburgh when he came out of nowhere and became a solid starting LT.  Unfortunately, I get a familiar feeling from their praise of him that makes me think it's likely that upgrades to the o-line are not forthcoming.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:46 AM)samhain Wrote: When the Bengals signed Fred Johnson, it was thought to be a wise move. I loved it. Even Steelers bloggers/beat writers acknowledged that it was tough to see him leave Pittsburgh. His physical stature and reach are certainly that of a NFL lineman.

Fast forward to this Sunday. He's no longer a practice squad guard, but a starting LT for the Bengals. Hobspin is calling him the first move of the "offseason" in an episode of what's sure to be "Dumpster Diving With The Inbreds Part Deux".

I got no beef with Johnson as a player. This team needs all the help it can get up front. I just have to question their desire to improve the quality of play/player in that particular group when tossing out a practice squad guard as a starting LT is their idea of proactivity.

It's not about disliking the move. It's about the kind of narrative/activity that will likely follow. Zero significant outside FAs added to help the OL, which has sucked badly since 2015. Keeping the same coach/personnel intact minus Cordy and plus Jonah. Likely selecting a first overall quarterback and sticking him behind this collection of wayward castoffs in his rookie year. What's more, we get to watch another year of a filet mignon running back in Mixon running behind a Vienna sausage offensive line. Idiotic.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
Fred Johnson made the Steelers 53 as a UDFA. He was waived to make room for another QB. The Steelers were hoping to resign him. Instead we claimed him. He’s been on the roster. He’s never been on a PS. He did a good job last week. In fact one of the highest rated lineman, Fred can play both guard positions and now at least one tackle. I say that is developing a versatile OLineman. In this day and age with even just good lineman in short supply, the team is doing the right thing.
We keep hearing posters say play the young guys. So here they are playing a young guy and you’re still complaining. Better to see him in a real live game situation and learn what he can do

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The Steelers are a million times better at scouting OL talent than us. Admitting that and just taking a guy they liked can’t be any worse than what we normally do to select OL. I’m all for it
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:33 AM)samhain Wrote:   Unfortunately, I get a familiar feeling from their praise of him that makes me think it's likely that upgrades to the o-line are not forthcoming.  

Personally, I'm glad to see that the team is at least keeping it's eyes open, and bringing guys in and giving them a shot, when they become available.  Weather Fred Johnson proves to be any good or not remains to be seen.  At least they'll have a jump on next year, by picking up a guy who made the roster of one of our rivals, a rival with a history of picking decent lineman at that.

I wonder if Mixon is upset about the team throwing a huge, aggressive, young Tackle out there, or if he'd be happier with Andre Smith out there?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd say stop the presses and throw a tentative parade if they actually got one over on pittsburgh.. We can all collectively count on no fingers how many times that's happened in the past 30-40 years.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Wait, so you're upset that the Bengals are getting a good look at Johnson at tackle, to see what he can do, instead of signing someone else for 1 game, who then will be replaced by Jonah next season???? Really?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Wait, so you're upset that the Bengals are getting a good look at Johnson at tackle, to see what he can do, instead of signing someone else for 1 game, who then will be replaced by Jonah next season???? Really?

Never let it be said nobody here ever has to try hard to invent something to complain about.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I'm glad to see that the team is at least keeping it's eyes open, and bringing guys in and giving them a shot, when they become available.  Weather Fred Johnson proves to be any good or not remains to be seen.  At least they'll have a jump on next year, by picking up a guy who made the roster of one of our rivals, a rival with a history of picking decent lineman at that.

I wonder if Mixon is upset about the team throwing a huge, aggressive, young Tackle out there, or if he'd be happier with Andre Smith out there?

Deers in the headlights always have their eyes wide open
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:49 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Deers in the headlights always have their eyes wide open

Deer...
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Deer...

Indeed, need more coffee

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:49 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Deers in the headlights always have their eyes wide open

What is that supposed to mean?  I don't get it.

Would you be content if the team just sat on their hands, and did nothing at all?  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What is that supposed to mean?  I don't get it.

Would you be content if the team just sat on their hands, and did nothing at all?  

Content? No but I fully expect them to do little as they have in the past. The OL has been a train wreck for 3 years and only now they find one serviceable guy from another roster? Hardly operating with eyes wide open on the look out

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:56 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Content? No but I fully expect them to do little as they have in the past. The OL has been a train wreck for 3 years and only now they find one serviceable guy from another roster? Hardly operating with eyes wide open on the look out

Well, they did just extend Trey Hopkins, so that's two things they've done in a positive direction.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they did just extend Trey Hopkins, so that's two things they've done in a positive direction.

If they retain both coordinators and the OL coach that will be a huge negative

Reply/Quote
I realize just about everyone on this board except me and a few others have given up on Taylor, but I am looking forward to watching his moves between now and next season. Resigning Hopkins is a step in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I realize just about everyone on this board except me and a few others have given up on Taylor, but I am looking forward to watching his moves between now and next season. Resigning Hopkins is a step in the right direction.

I’m still on the ZT train as well. One year with a very late start getting his crew together while being handed the leftovers of Lewis was against him. Plus, it takes more than 1yr to fix this mess. I do think he should give up the play calling tho because he’s trying to carry too much. 

Starting Johnson is a good move and look forward to seeing how he performs.

Reply/Quote