Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fred Johnson: The Dumpster Dives are in early.
(01-08-2020, 11:19 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Tobin and Mike Brown resigned Hart. If any of you think a first year coach with zero experience came in and told MB what to do you are off your rockers.

And if you think the Head Coach and Line Coach don't have any input on what linemen get signed, you are off your rocker....
Reply/Quote
I kind of like how this thread transformed from "I bet the front office is going to use this nothing signing to justify doing nothing in the off season" to "Should we start this Mu'***** at LT or RT? Maybe he can start at guard instead. Let's cut Hart and get rid of Glenn. Freddy J till we die!" haha.

P.S. Freddy J till we die!
Reply/Quote
I'm completely on the Fred Johnson train, whether it is as a starter or your first guy off the bench.

He showed well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 10:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm completely on the Fred Johnson train, whether it is as a starter or your first guy off the bench.

He showed well.

Agreed. There is nothing negative about how he played for us in the short amount of time he has been here....
Reply/Quote
I don't think it's any coincidence that Jordan's play seemed to improve greatly with Fred Johnson showing some competency at LT. When you're playing next to John Jerry or Andre Smith, both grossly out of position at LT, that's a challenge for anyone, let alone a rookie.

I still think we take the best OL on the board at the top of round 2. That should bring one of the best interior linemen of the draft...a Creed Humphrey or Solomon Kindley type player that are plug and play guards.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 09:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if you think the Head Coach and Line Coach don't have any input on what linemen get signed, you are off your rocker....

Yeah I know Zac was hired feb4 and Hart was resigned Mar11. In the weeks leading up to the resigning MB and Tobin were sitting around wondering what they could do and Zac swooped in and said "Don't get rid of him. He was great last year." MB said "no we will get a high priced FA to take his place." Zac insisted he stay and brought in Turner to back him up. MB asked " are you sure, I will get someone really good if you want. Money is no object." Zac said "But there's no need we have a future HOF tackle already" Sounds about right Huh
Reply/Quote

I like having Fred Johnson on the Team to provide O-line depth and new, young blood to the line.

What I don't want to see is the Bengals deciding that Fred Johnson will be the answer and pencil either Fred or Hart in as the 2020 starter at right tackle without bringing in someone that could likely beat both of them out.

Fred Johnson has made one NFL start and that was against Cleveland without Myles Garrett.

We have no idea how durable Fred Johnson will be over a 16 game season.

No idea how he will do against the range of defensive end Stars that are in the NFL that he would have to face over a 16 game season.

I like having Fred on the Roster and the promise he has shown in a very small sample size but the Bengals should not stop there.

I would bring in either a Free Agent Tackle or top 3 round Draft pick Tackle that I thought could be even better than Fred Jackson for competition and depth.

My guess is that the Bengals now feel that they have their 2020 Tackles (LT, RT & Swing) in Jonah, Hart and Fred. Dave Lapham seemed to imply that already in a Radio interview that I heard.

Hart and a guy with one NFL start under his belt to me would equal the need to bring in Stiff Tackle Competition via Draft or Free Agency.

The Bengals, on the other hand, may see the addition of Fred as "problem solved" which is my fear.

Reply/Quote
Still say that will draft OT at 2 or 3, which is indeed the smart thing to do.

Then have them compete.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 12:42 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah I know Zac was hired feb4 and Hart was resigned Mar11. In the weeks leading up to the resigning MB and Tobin were sitting around wondering what they could do and Zac swooped in and said "Don't get rid of him. He was great last year." MB said "no we will get a high priced FA to take his place." Zac insisted he stay and brought in Turner to back him up. MB asked " are you sure, I will get someone really good if you want. Money is no object." Zac said "But there's no need we have a future HOF tackle already" Sounds about right Huh

I'd say more likely that in their first meetings, they told the coaches to look at certain players they were needing to resign or let go, and decide if they wanted to keep them.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2020, 11:19 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Tobin and Mike Brown resigned Hart. If any of you think a first year coach with zero experience came in and told MB what to do you are off your rockers.

Taylor came out and said they saw potential in Hart. He had a say.

The coaches have had a say on the players since they arrived. That's how we got "8 teams in 7 years" Webb, Hart, Sample and others. Then at cut down, we kept Willis over Core. Metcaff was available and we took Sample. The player evaluation of these coaches has been suspect at the very best.

Yes, it was their first off-season together, but my God it was a bad one.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 02:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote:  we kept Willis over Core. Metcaff was available and we took Sample. The player evaluation of these coaches has been suspect at the very best. 

Willis over Core was the right decision.

Metcalf is a WR not a TE and he was the 9th WR taken in the daft after 31 teams passed on him twice.  So Bengals evaluation of Metcalf was no different from every other NFL team.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 02:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor came out and said they saw potential in Hart. He had a say.

The coaches have had a say on the players since they arrived. That's how we got "8 teams in 7 years" Webb, Hart, Sample and others.

I am pretty sure the coaches were given limited options from which to choose.  I doubt if any of those guys were their first choices among all free agents.

And Hart does have potential.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am pretty sure the coaches were given limited options from which to choose.  I doubt if any of those guys were their first choices among all free agents.

And Hart does have potential.

Well, that is part of the Bengals job. Everyone knows that Mike Brown never goes for the top guys in free agency. Marvin had to deal with that as well, as we all know. I never knew Marvin to say the coaches got their first choices in free agency.

Still, you look at the personnel decisions last off-season and, once again, we were all underwhelmed. I expect we will again this off-season even though we have the top pick in every round which is limited by the player evaluation quality this team possesses. More or less expect the Bengals to rely on the draft and with a couple of cheap free agents. I predict that Hopspin will come out with an article stating that it was a great off-season and Jonah Williams is like having an extra 1st round pick to justify the lame free agency moves. You can predict these guys with about as much accuracy as you can predict a clock.

Can Taylor and his pals do a better job? Oh I hope so. Cause we seem to be stuck with them.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Willis over Core was the right decision.

Metcalf is a WR not a TE and he was the 9th WR taken in the daft after 31 teams passed on him twice.  So Bengals evaluation of Metcalf was no different from every other NFL team.

So? Metcalf > Sample is all that matters. We already had 3 TEs on the roster. We ended up with a lot of lame WR play. The Ross is great crowd got to cheer for 1 game and tell us we were all so wrong. Hilarious  We needed help at WR more than TE.

I know Eifert's health history is a issue, but Sample never has been near Eifert in talent and could barely get a target.

Reply/Quote
I like Johnson so far.Think it was an excellent move picking him up.Love his versatility.We haven’t really seen enough yet to be sure,but we may have had a future pro bowler fall right into our lap.Question is,what could it hurt to go with this guy and give him a chance? I like it.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 11:23 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I like Johnson so far.Think it was an excellent move picking him up.Love his versatility.We haven’t really seen enough yet to be sure,but we may have had a future pro bowler fall right into our lap.Question is,what could it hurt to go with this guy and give him a chance? I like it.

nothing.. Right now he comes to camp and competes for a starting spot....  @ RT or LT where ever he fits best. (depending how Williams is doing)
Reply/Quote
I didn't get to see the last 4 games or so. If someone has some highlights of this guy or something I might know
what people are talking about. Didn't even know who this guy was until people started talking about him. He played
well at LT eh? That is great news, but we need to insure we are good on the Line and need to still bring in another
versatile OT and a Guard as Price was just terrible last season and appears to be a bust.

Sucks man, thought Price was going to grow into a great Center. Never seen Hopkins coming out of nowhere and
playing as good as he has. This is the good thing we have going for us and Jonah hopefully growing into a top LT.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 07:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't get to see the last 4 games or so. If someone has some highlights of this guy or something I might know
what people are talking about. Didn't even know who this guy was until people started talking about him. He played
well at LT eh? That is great news, but we need to insure we are good on the Line and need to still bring in another
versatile OT and a Guard as Price was just terrible last season and appears to be a bust.

Sucks man, thought Price was going to grow into a great Center. Never seen Hopkins coming out of nowhere and
playing as good as he has. This is the good thing we have going for us and Jonah hopefully growing into a top LT.

Quote:But he’ll tell you he believes Johnson has a shot at upgrading the line after he played 62 snaps in Miami that marked Johnson’s first work at left tackle in a game since his senior year at Royal Palm Beach High School in West Palm Beach, Fla. According to profootballfocus.com, Johnson and Bobby Hart were the only Bengals linemen that didn’t allow any pressures in the 38-35 overtime loss to the Dolphins and Taylor is looking for steady improvement.

https://www.bengals.com/news/off-season-moves-begin-as-fred-johnson-gets-call-at-lt-for-finale
Reply/Quote