Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency expectations?
(03-16-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone wants to be a critic, yet no one wants to present a solution?  C'mon guys, put your brains where your mouths are.  Do like I did, pull out a calculator and a pencil and do some work.  

Tell me who you would cut, and who you would propose replacing that player with that is not only better, but will cost the same or less.
 Cut Kirk, trade Dalton, Cut Hart, would trade AJ as well of course it would have to depend on the deal.
Would sign Conklin for the 14 million a year deal like the Browns did,would sign Paul Richardson, Breshard Perriman, and Trumain Johnson to deals as well.
It actually isn't that hard of a thing to ask of the Bengals to do. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone wants to be a critic, yet no one wants to present a solution?  C'mon guys, put your brains where your mouths are.  Do like I did, pull out a calculator and a pencil and do some work.  

Tell me who you would cut, and who you would propose replacing that player with that is not only better, but will cost the same or less.

Ravens had less cap space than us, yet still signed 2 Upgrades at DL on day 1. Campbell was technically a trade, but they got him. Either the Bengals FO are blathering idiots that can’t figure out how math works OR they just don’t care that much. The worst part is Joe Burrow is sitting at home watching, realizing that all the people who were telling him to bail on Cincy are being proven right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe...Free Agents wants no part of being a Bengal. Who's to know if they were courted and then turned it down.
Reply/Quote

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

That should be the Bengals cap hits per player for 2020. Right now the Bengals have roughly $36M to spend in free agency because you forgot about their rollover. And that also includes the money to sign the rookies. So we aren’t subtracting the rookie pool from that $36M because the $36M to spend is after accounting for the rookies contracts.

So adding Conklin at $14M still leaves us with $22M. Also, if the Bengals sign someone that means another player’s contract will fall off. Let’s say it’s a minimum salary player. So we have $22.6M left.

There is no way I’m carrying Dalton’s $17M into the season. Even if I have to cut him instead of trade him. That gives us $39.6M. I’m already got more than when I started and I’ve added a starting RT.

That still leaves them more cap space than they currently have for tenders, to re-sign guys like Billings, and once the regular season starts they will need room for the practice squad and either two or four roster spots, and the infamous injury cushion (which we don’t need because we carry over every year since the carry over has been available.)

Edited to add: Amari Cooper re-signed with Cowboys for $100M/5 yrs. If the Bengals signed him @ $110M/5 yrs instead of franchising Green that would leave the Bengals sitting at roughly $35.6M after cutting Dalton instead of $39.6M. They could have gotten younger at WR and better at RT and still have roughly the same cap space as they do now.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 09:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "Jonah Williams coming back is just like signing a starting LT!"   

(A variant on the classic "1st round pick did nothing/got hurt, so for year 2 it's like having an extra 1st round pick!" Bengals trope.)

Honestly, the "it's like getting an extra first round pick" is the most annoying narrative in my book. The biggest problem is that they've used it so often.

DreK in 2013
Dennard in 2015
Ced O in 2016
WJ3 in 2017
Ross in 2018
Price in 2019
Now Williams in 2020

(03-16-2020, 11:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals rarely cut players for some reason. I think Steelers cut 3 this week for example. They rarely restructure contracts and they have no creativity, no out of box thinking playing it safe always. Result is a boring product and losing team when they also draft average or worse.

The Bengals not cutting players is actually a tactic they use to persuade players to sign/re-sign with them. You'll see players get less guaranteed money most of the time from us, but the Bengals essentially guarantee the whole deal. Teams will sign players to 5 year deals but only guarantee the first two. Then that player gets cut after the 2 years and doesn't get his whole deal. The Bengals will offer up less guaranteed money, but keep you for the whole deal.

Now, things are changing a little bit with Brown getting cut and Dre K apparently on the way out. We'll see if things change for good or if this is just a slight shift into the Zac era.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The sad part is we expect the Bengals to do nothing the first week and then sign the bargain level 3 type players but we are still extremely disappointed. I’d figure with Joe Burrow coming on board they might change their ways. It’s only day 2 now. So let’s hope
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 12:47 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Maybe...Free Agents wants no part of being a Bengal. Who's to know if they were courted and then turned it down.

That’s the thing many don’t seem to grasp. Players have to want to come here...

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 01:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s the thing many don’t seem to grasp. Players have to want to come here...

We need to do what Green Bay did when they were not a desired destination - they overpaid big time for Reggie White which sent the message they were serious about being a winner. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 01:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s the thing many don’t seem to grasp. Players have to want to come here...

We are the incels of the NFL.  All the free agents want to go to those other jerk teams instead of us.  No one wants to come here and there is nothing we can do about it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We are the incels of the NFL.  All the free agents want to go to those other jerk teams instead of us.  No one wants to come here and there is nothing we can do about it.

The last part isn’t exactly true. Winning cures all. Draft Burrow, win some playoff games, and FA’s will consider coming here.

Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think we are about inline with where I expected us to be at this point. In my mind the Dalton thing is a hang up keeping us from moving forward with signings, but I don't think a lot of the guys off the board right now were ever in play. It is interesting that Schobert and Littleton are kind of the last two major LB's on the board as I had expected them first off so something tells me they are asking for more then the market values them (could be a good thing for us).

I still believe a combination of Schobert or Littelton, Logan Ryan, and a mid tier OL player like Bulaga is a strong possibility. You start getting in trouble when Littleton and Schobert come off the board, so it may require an overpay on one to address an issue that the staff as admitted is a legit issue.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 07:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We are the incels of the NFL.  All the free agents want to go to those other jerk teams instead of us.  No one wants to come here and there is nothing we can do about it.

Just because the Bengals didn't present an eye popping deal at the opening bell (though franchising AJ Green may have raised an eyebrow or two), we don't know that they're not already in talks with players and agents.  And while it is generally better if a player actually wants to play for the team that signs him, cash has always proven to be more effective at motivating than location.

This list seems to have been updated, after deals from yesterday.  I see about 20 or so players that would be better than what we currently have starting at the same position.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not jumping off the ledge yet. We knew they weren't going to be involved with the 'first wave' of signings. I think a lot of people are mostly disappointed that the guys they wanted as good value 2nd wave free agents were thought highly of by other teams as well.

I'd expect to hear more rumblings Wed or Thursday.
Reply/Quote
Will certainly be interesting to find out. Today would be a good day for some Bengals being active news for sure. Yesterday was a wash for headliners, but it seems like a Dalton trade is in the works. Who know what we may get for him? It may be a key player instead of a draft pick. Certainly hoping we move him asap and open up our real FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:48 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Will certainly be interesting to find out. Today would be a good day for some Bengals being active news for sure. Yesterday was a wash for headliners, but it seems like a Dalton trade is in the works. Who know what we may get for him? It may be a key player instead of a draft pick. Certainly hoping we move him asap and open up our real FA.

A few people were speculating online yesterday that the Bears showing interest in Bridgewater & Foles was just posturing to pressure in the Bengals to lower their asking price. Some think the Bears are currently offering their 4th round compensatory pick. 

Just read that Brady's contract was officially voided at midnight yesterday. Maybe that means he's able to talk to teams starting today. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:54 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: A few people were speculating online yesterday that the Bears showing interest in Bridgewater & Foles was just posturing to pressure in the Bengals to lower their asking price. Some think the Bears are currently offering their 4th round compensatory pick. 

Just read that Brady's contract was officially voided at midnight yesterday. Maybe that means he's able to talk to teams starting today. 

A 4th round comp pick is better than nothing.  Perhaps if they threw in an additional 2021 pick, it might just seal a deal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A 4th round comp pick is better than nothing.  Perhaps if they threw in an additional 2021 pick, it might just seal a deal.

Absolutely it's better than nothing. Maybe a conditional pick next year depending on Dalton starting X games or making the playoffs. 

I'm still holding out hope for something like the Bears second 2nd-round pick for Dalton & the Bengals 4th. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 08:54 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: A few people were speculating online yesterday that the Bears showing interest in Bridgewater & Foles was just posturing to pressure in the Bengals to lower their asking price. Some think the Bears are currently offering their 4th round compensatory pick. 

The Jaguars might give away a pick to get that Foles contract off the books so if the Bears want a vet QB and have cap space to burn Foles is probably a more attractive prospect than trying to pry Dalton from Mike Brown. 

NE seems likely to be left in the lurch, though.  
Reply/Quote
Bobby Hart only allowed 4.5 sacks last year.  We don't need to spend $50 million on a right tackle.

We need a LG.

We need a DT, LB, WR, and a CB or two.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bobby Hart only allowed 4.5 sacks last year.  We don't need to spend $50 million on a right tackle.

We need a LG.

We need a DT, LB, WR, and a CB or two.

I have seen him assigned anywhere between 4 to 6 sacks. Sacks are assigned by the person or source tracking them so that number can be different based on who is doing the scoring. Either way it's his lowest total and 3 years, however I'd like to find more data on his pressures allowed because sacks can sometimes be misleading for O linemen as they are for defenders.

I personally agree we don't need a 50 Million dollar option, however I am for a 2 year at 7-8 Million dollar option like a Bulaga. I also agree adding an interior option is a larger need but that I think is more up in the air based on the teams perception o Jordan, which I think is different then fans. 
Reply/Quote