Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency expectations?
(03-17-2020, 11:06 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Definitely didnt take the approach I was thinking, but it makes sense to me they would rather pay a NT/DT that kind of money over a LB like Joe Scho. DT is a higher valued position overall. A lot of GMs especially old school guys would rather put the bigger money on the DL. Honestly he grades higher than Schobert anyway and doesnt have any weak areas like Scho and Littleton both do with the run. Honestly, I wanted either LB, but DJ Reader is a better long term investment for that kind of cash especially for the worst run D in the league.

This puts LB a top priority heading into the draft. Unless we package Dalton and Kirkpatrick for Roquan Smith lol.

Dalton and Kirkpatrick for Roquan Smith- Best thing I've heard since the 2 signings today. 
Reply/Quote
Pleasantly surprised!
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:20 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Does the signing of defensive free agents signal the draft is about Burrow and other offensive talent to assist him?

Some combination of Burrow+ OL+ cover LB + WR+ S/TE in rounds 1-5 would be pretty nice.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I think they go LB early in draft now. Hopefully get something for Dalton they can flip to get a better pick later in the draft. They may still address OG in free agency. This is all new to us. I’m still processing that we set the market at NT with Reader. It’s been a while since us Bengals fans had something to celebrate in free agency ......and me likey.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote:
Green was eligible for the Franchise tag
and has been a Bengal his whole career. A good move to use the tag but not exactly a marquee FA from another team. Reader and Waynes were good signings.  Still huge holes at O line and LB to fill.  Not a bad day all in all, but work left to do.

Every team can franchise tag someone who was under a prior contract, but they don't and did not.

I am missing your point them committing a lot of money to Green for a year, it was very costly tag and not an easy decision based on his injury history.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Heard talk of trading Dalton to New England for a guard.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
RT Daryl Williams
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:20 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Does the signing of defensive free agents signal the draft is about Burrow and other offensive talent to assist him?

Yes, I posted about that earlier.
It seems the FO actually had a plan of action for FA and the draft????!!!

They tried to get 3 top tier defensive FA's and almost got them at DT, CB and LB. Get better on Defense from FA.

And then, make it more of an offensive player draft b/c of the talent there this year. Too many WR's/OL/RB's/TE's to pass up.

In my dream world, we sign 3 more Defensive 2nd/3rd tier players in FA.

And then draft Burrow/2nd---Best available WR/3rd---LB Harrison OSU/4th---TE Moss (Burrows best friend off LSU)/then OL/OL/OL  Lol
Reply/Quote
I don't think this signals anything in the draft other than we knew we had major issues on defense and just the draft wasn't fixing that. Everyone like to talk about how bad the O line was but the last couple years the line may have been bad but the defense was HISTORICALLY bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:25 PM)BENGALSNATI85 Wrote: Dalton and Kirkpatrick for Roquan Smith- Best thing I've heard since the 2 signings today. 

This is a pipe dream for a couple reasons, one there is not way they would move Smith unless the rumors of his off field issues last season were true in which case I don't think we want him either. The other issue is this doesn't work cap wise by a long shot. They would take a 10 Million dead cap hit for trading Roquan then take on another 25+ million in contracts. The Bears cap situation is so tight they probably couldn't even swing moving Roquan let alone taking on all that money.
Reply/Quote
Alrighty, it's Wednesday around 9 am in Ohio. Who we signing today?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:50 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: RT Daryl Williams

Gave up 11 sacks last year compared to Hart's 4.  And Hart played 200 more snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Gave up 11 sacks last year compared to Hart's 4.  And Hart played 200 more snaps.

I"m not so sure they are even feeling a need for a RT.  If Hart makes another jump this year like he did last year, now you have a good player.  It doesn't mean that if one of the OT's was unexpectedly there at 33 that they wouldn't take him.

What they do need is another G.  Even if they believe in Jordan, he can only play one of the two G spots.  I think drafting or signing a G is way more likely than a T. 

Didn't Williams just sign a new deal with somebody last year?  If so, one has to wonder why he's available again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:02 PM)McC Wrote: I"m not so sure they are even feeling a need for a RT.  If Hart makes another jump this year like he did last year, now you have a good player.  It doesn't mean that if one of the OT's was unexpectedly there at 33 that they wouldn't take him.

What they do need is another G.  Even if they believe in Jordan, he can only play one of the two G spots.  I think drafting or signing a G is way more likely than a T. 

This is what I have been saying.  Bengals are satisfied with our starting OTs and even Miller at RG.  What we really need is a LG.

I really liked getting Jordan in the 4th, but I didn't see enough out of him to feel comfortable plugging him is as a permanent starter yet.

**EDIT** five minutes after I made this post the Bengals released Miller.
Reply/Quote
Lets bring in a Guard now that we cut Miller. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lets bring in a Guard now that we cut Miller. ThumbsUp

It seems like something is in the works, hopefully for a G and maybe another CB. Cutting Miller and Webb, plus the Dalton trade looming. Something tells me we arent done making moves. If Dre is on the chopping block that could free up even more money to make some moves.
Reply/Quote
https://mobile.twitter.com/ProFootball411

This group has been on scoops so far this week. They said the Bengals have reached out to LB Josh Bynes about an hour ago.

Edit: Also that the Patriots have asked for the medicals for Alex Smith.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:37 PM)Synric Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/ProFootball411

This group has been on scoops so far this week. They said the Bengals have reached out to LB Josh Bynes about an hour ago.

If that's true, then the Bengals really did Andy Dalton a disservice.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:37 PM)Synric Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/ProFootball411

Bynes would be a solid recovery as a better Preston  rown.  PFF put up a current top 50, he's #30. It also lists a lot of box or balanced safeties. I think they may end up with one of them when the dust clears for close to what Fej got. With various defensive looks, I like the idea of having another descent rotational safety.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote: If that's true, then the Bengals really did Andy Dalton a disservice.

The Front Office will make an example of Andy Dalton. He will not be traded unless the perfect deal drops in their lap. Instead, he will either back up Joe Burrow or be cut outright — but too late to be picked up as a starter by any competitive teams. I’m usually not this dark but I’m not optimistic about this.

The Patriots will roll with Jarrett Stidham.
Reply/Quote