4 10.81%
Geno
89.19%
33 89.19%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Free Agency is Over (before it even began)
For Bengals fans looking for upgrades during Free Agency (and hoping Marvin won something when he was begged to come back) are in for a sad reality once again.

With the Front office attention fully on Dunlap and Geno this offseason, there will be no money left over. NONE. (I understand you can't tag one next offsesaon, that's only useed on Kickers).

Thus hopes of some help on the Oline will likely be Andre Smith, and LB will be re-singing Minter.

Also the growing belief is that Adam Jones will remain a Bengal so we can't create any cap space from cutting him.

Only good news is they may not be able to afford Bodine (but they'll somehow make that work).

On to the Draft.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-setting-table-bengals-free-agency/323385002/?from=new-cookie
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: For Bengals fans looking for upgrades during Free Agency (and hoping Marvin won something when he was begged to come back) are in for a sad reality once again.

With the Front office attention fully on Dunlap and Geno this offseason, there will be no money left over. NONE. (I understand you can't tag one next offsesaon, that's only useed on Kickers).

Thus hopes of some help on the Oline will likely be Andre Smith, and LB will be re-singing Minter.

Also the growing belief is that Adam Jones will remain a Bengal so we can't create any cap space from cutting him.

Only good news is they may not be able to afford Bodine (but they'll somehow make that work).

On to the Draft.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/02/10/cincinnati-bengals-xtra-setting-table-bengals-free-agency/323385002/?from=new-cookie

I bought that whole FA jazz for a a minute or two.  It tapped into my grasping at straws/anything is possible nerve.  Didn't take long to come to my senses.  Now I just have to say I'll believe it will be different when I see it.

As to Jefro, they have said they want him back.  Who will they really be bidding against?  He will be back and at Mike's prices too.  I figure Jefro is lucky to be in the league.  He will be back.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Based upon 25 years of track record, all of this is most certainly true.

Bodine is the o equivalent of Ray Maualuga.

There will be no market for him. Just our kind of guy.

He will get a three year contract and then be sure of starting because he is under contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: For Bengals fans looking for upgrades during Free Agency (and hoping Marvin won something when he was begged to come back) are in for a sad reality once again.

On to the Draft.

I am not expecting them to do much in Free Agency.

Could even lose Andre Smith as the Tackle market seems a little thin to me.

They won the last two games without Fisher, Cedric and Andre if my memory is correct, so they could actually be feeling warm & fuzzy about the O-line right now.

They may even pass on a 1st round Left tackle prospect, only getting 1 or maybe 2  O-lineman by say the end of round 3 or even 4.

Other areas will at least get built up via the Draft with early picks with O-line possibly taking less priority than most fans want.

I see a Legit Left Tackle as the greatest need and they may have to pull the trigger on one by round 2 to avoid watching them disappear off the board. Wait too long and it could be a developmental crap-shoot.
Reply/Quote
Only this team would actually want the worst Center in the NFL back. He should be dumped with fanfare to send a message to the linemen that substandard play will no longer be accepted.

If they are not active in Free Agency we are looking at another 6 win season likely as the need for a real Center and two legit Tackles is pretty desperate. Yes if they resign Andre they might be able to put him at RT and skate by but that still leaves huge issues at C and LT.
Reply/Quote

On to the Draft.

Gotta keep those three cap-hogs in Jones, MJ, and LaFell because "reasons"! We can't even consider cutting those guys to free up cap! They've done so much for the team over the years! They've earned their last year regardless if they've under-performed the past 1-2 years!
[Image: More-of-the-same.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:47 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Based upon 25 years of track record, all of this is most certainly true.

He will get a three year contract and then be sure of starting because he is under contract.

Speaking of Rey Maualuga...he sure fell off the wagon after leaving Cincy, eh?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Shocking, the franchise that has held onto a HC with 0 playoff wins for 16 years and counting is not going to suddenly change their FA approach...who could’ve seen this coming?
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 07:00 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Shocking, the franchise that has held onto a HC with 0 playoff wins for 16 years and counting is not going to suddenly change their FA approach...who could’ve seen this coming?

[Image: AggressiveVacantFunnelweaverspider-max-1mb.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
"We’re going to have to gain some better players. We’re going to have to augment some of what we do. We’re going to have to do a better job of adding some guys from other clubs.”---Marvin Lewis after he was retained as Bengals head coach.

Actions speak louder than words Marvin or was it just lip service to lessen the blow of you coming back? Hmmmm.....
Reply/Quote

On to the Draft.

By signing to longer deals they can reduce the cap hit on this season... IE opening up money

I love how all you guys over react to shit that hasn't even happened yet... Seriously how do any of you get thru a day
Reply/Quote
There is only one guy I would want and that is Solder. After that there is not much out there that makes us better. Plus the draft is loaded with offensive lineman. Losing both Geno and Carlos would be devestating to this team. Also we should still cut Johnson, Laffell, Jones, and Rey but I don't think that would change are off-season plans.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 07:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: By signing to longer deals they can reduce the cap hit on this season... IE opening up money

I love how all you guys over react to shit that hasn't even happened yet...  Seriously how do any of you get thru a day

You could be right, but you know how they do business. They need to replace players that are declining rapidly but they sign them longer and think there is no reason to upgrade to a younger better player. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 07:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: By signing to longer deals they can reduce the cap hit on this season... IE opening up money

I love how all you guys over react to shit that hasn't even happened yet... Seriously how do any of you get thru a day

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 07:16 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: "We’re going to have to gain some better players. We’re going to have to augment some of what we do. We’re going to have to do a better job of adding some guys from other clubs.”---Marvin Lewis after he was retained as Bengals head coach.

Actions speak louder than words Marvin or was it just lip service to lessen the blow of you coming back? Hmmmm.....

He meant college clubs.  Hilarious

The Mike and Merv lead Bengals aren't going to change their losing ways. It was lip service
Reply/Quote
If you had to choose who to re-sign, who would it be?

I'd be shocked if they re-signed both. With AJ and Dalton soon to follow, I'm thinking one is gone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 08:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: If you had to choose who to re-sign, who would it be?

I'd be shocked if they re-signed both. With AJ and Dalton soon to follow, I'm thinking one is gone.

Geno, but we should keep both. Probably won’t, cause it’s the bengals, but should be able to considering they won’t spend on any outside FA’s
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 08:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: If you had to choose who to re-sign, who would it be?

Feel like we had this same topic last year with Whit and Zeit. Only now Geno is Whit and Dunlap is Zeit. Hopefully not the same result with these two DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals are sitting on around $32-36m in cap space. Atkins and Dunlap already count for almost $17m against the cap this year. Giving both extensions is only going to hurt because the Browns will count bonus money against this year's cap to bring it down. Provided they sign both, let's say they're around $20m left. Then add in Andre Smith for $3-4m, maybe Minter for another $3-4m, and that leaves enough for the rookie pool and the outrageous injury fund. That's it. That's your free agency. Maybe they'll try to bring Eifert in on the cheap, but that's probably not far off from what's about to happen.

Obviously they could do more. Obviously they should do more, but we all know how that goes.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2018, 06:47 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Based upon 25 years of track record, all of this is most certainly true.

Dang it bengals67, you are absolutely right. Sad, but true.
Reply/Quote