Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Fun thread on obscure Bengals players
Jason Shirley
Bernard Scott
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 05:05 PM)jason Wrote: I got lost on a stroll down memory lane....

No worries, man.  It's understandable.  The years kind of blur together in some ways.  

(12-28-2016, 05:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Deltha O'Neal and Tory James:  Brett Favre threw five interceptions against them in 2005.

Man, I remember that game.  When there was some fan (or streaker) who ran up to Brett Favre on the field during the last drive.  Because I became a fan of the Bengals in 1994/1995, the 2005 season was an absolute blast b/c I was experiencing a Bengals winning season for the first time in my direct experience.  With Palmer, Chad, T.J and Rudi and the offensive line, the Bengals seemed like they would have a juggernaut on offense for many years to come at that time, but boy were they cursed. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:27 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Dan Wilkinson
Ashley Ambrose

I'm not sure either one of them would count as obscure, but it's probably my fault for not defining it well in my first post.  I mean Wilkinson was a top five pick IIRC and Ambrose was a stud corner who went to the pro bowl (on multiple teams IIRC).
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:34 PM)Storer50 Wrote: Johnny sears, Marcus Wilkins

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Seriously man, I don't even remember those names.  They truly are obscure or maybe you made them up  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't say Tony McGee and Reggie Kelly are obscure. McGee may be our best TE ever.

Travis Dorsch and Eric Bieniemy.

Yeah Shake, I loved watching McGee.  One of the better receiving TEs of his time, but got no love b/c of his team.  I wouldn't call Reggie Kelly obscure either, but some of these are just a matter of preference.  Dorsch and Bienemy are for sure obscure players.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 05:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dennis Roland

(12-28-2016, 06:06 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Melvin Tuten, Steve Tovar.

Yup. These guys are who this thread was made for.
Reply/Quote
Steve Shine and Turk Schonert
Reply/Quote
Danny Farmer. The great OT victory over the Steelers back in '01.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
CB Robert bean. N cb Fisher
Reply/Quote
Garrison Hearst

Peter Koch
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 06:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I wouldn't say Tony McGee and Reggie Kelly are obscure. McGee may be our best TE ever.

Travis Dorsch and Eric Bieniemy.
I only included them because I mix the two of them up in my memory. It's just personal bias... What was the white guy's name that played TE back in Palmer's day? Matt something or other.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 09:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Garrison Hearst

Peter Koch

Not sure that Garrison Hearst quite qualifies as "obscure".  He was quite established in the NFL, prior to coming to put his career to rest with the Bengals.

EDIT: He actually went on to play for several more years after the one year with the Bengals, and have much success at it. Apologies to bfine.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure that Garrison Hearst quite qualifies as "obscure".  He was quite established in the NFL, prior to coming to put his career to rest with the Bengals.
Didn't he have a good year or two with SF after the Bengals?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 09:43 PM)jason Wrote: Didn't he have a good year or two with SF after the Bengals?
Yes, he did quite well with SF.  He was only a one year rental for the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, he did quite well with SF.  He was only a one year rental for the Bengals.
I had never heard of him when he got here. I was done with the Kijana Carter experiment shortly after his arrival though.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It wasn't that long ago, but I often forget Larry Johnson was a Bengal for a brief time.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I know posted 2 already but I've been looking and here are 2 more.
Herana-Daze Jones
Glen Holt
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Craig Yeast

My wife says that a product called Monistat will take care of that. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 09:36 PM)jason Wrote: I only included them because I mix the two of them up in my memory. It's just personal bias... What was the white guy's name that played TE back in Palmer's day? Matt something or other.

Schobel. He had a brother who played DE for the Bills. Aaron Schobel I believe.

(12-28-2016, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure that Garrison Hearst quite qualifies as "obscure".  He was quite established in the NFL, prior to coming to put his career to rest with the Bengals.

EDIT:  He actually went on to play for several more years after the one year with the Bengals, and have much success at it.  Apologies to bfine.

Hearst definitely wouldn't qualify as obscure. He rushed for over 1100 yards one year with the Cardinals, we rented him out for a year, then he had a fantastic run with the 49ers where he was an MVP candidate at one point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 11:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hearst definitely wouldn't qualify as obscure. He rushed for over 1100 yards one year with the Cardinals, we rented him out for a year, then he had a fantastic run with the 49ers where he was an MVP candidate at one point.

I mentioned him because he was an obscure Bengal Player. A well known player who might not be known as a Bengal; sort of like if I would have said Sam Adams.

WTS, I'll make amends and give 2 more:

Rod Jones
Rod Jones 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote