Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOOD or BAD? NFL SHUTDOWN!
(11-28-2020, 10:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Unfortunately, Mike Brown’s idea of change is far different than ours. His idea of change is putting 93 octane in the Chevy Lumina one day instead of his usual 87.

Hey now, I just started running 93 in my old 01 Dakota. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:39 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Unfortunately, Mike Brown’s idea of change is far different than ours. His idea of change is putting 93 octane in the Chevy Lumina one day instead of his usual 87.

"You know it's sad but true.."  Sad
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hey now, I just started running 93 in my old 01 Dakota. LMAO

Need work?
Reply/Quote
I hope they shut it down because F Pittsburgh and F Big Ben. I want them to get a season like the Reds had in the strike year where everything is humming along, then it all grinds to a screeching halt.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:33 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Aren't we the only team with 2 wins? The Jets have 0, the Jags 1, so that puts us picking at 3. That's a pretty damn good spot to be.

Oh wow, I was thinking we were picking 9th or something. Guess that shows how long it’s been since I last looked at the standings. Still think playing the year increases chances of coaching changes. And who knows , maybe the Jags surprise and win 2 games for us so we can jump into the top two and trade out for a kings ransom (although looking at their schedule and how bad they are that’s nearly impossible at this point. Still sometimes crazy things happen and maybe they get a freebie late vs a playoff team resting starters or players out with COVID)
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:33 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Aren't we the only team with 2 wins? The Jets have 0, the Jags 1, so that puts us picking at 3. That's a pretty damn good spot to be.

Yes, we’re currently picking 3rd. We have that stupid tie though. So we have to worry about all the 3 win teams.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure how positive/negative it will be, but I foresee a higher than average turnover rate coming this offseason.  I don't mean turnover as in fumbles and interceptions, but turnover as in personnel.  I think that we'll see teams reacting to the reduced salary cap by not signing as many lucrative free agent deals to players at or near the end of their career, but rather opting to fill out their rosters with younger, healthier, lower costing players.

True, but if teams aren't spending and higher-priced vets still need jobs, won't that just drive the numbers down on deals?  This might be the best year in awhile to get free agents if day 1 of FA starts without the usual jaw-dropping contracts being shelled out due to the cap increase.  Some quality players will be left out n the cold, and somebody's going to steal them eventually.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:49 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Oh wow, I was thinking we were picking 9th or something. Guess that shows how long it’s been since I last looked at the standings. Still think playing the year increases chances of coaching changes. And who knows , maybe the Jags surprise and win 2 games for us so we can jump into the top two and trade out for a kings ransom (although looking at their schedule and how bad they are that’s nearly impossible at this point. Still sometimes crazy things happen and maybe they get a freebie late vs a playoff team resting starters or players out with COVID)

Good points Leonard....but regarding the coaches, I think they've laid enough turds to be ripe for firing if Mikey is gonna pull the trigger...lol. I think if they stick with Zac, they have to at least ax Turner and Lou.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:47 AM)samhain Wrote: I hope they shut it down because F Pittsburgh and F Big Ben. I want them to get a season like the Reds had in the strike year where everything is humming along, then it all grinds to a screeching halt.

The Browns not going to the playoffs would also be a bonus.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good points Leonard....but regarding the coaches, I think they've laid enough turds to be ripe for firing if Mikey is gonna pull the trigger...lol. I think if they stick with Zac, they have to at least ax Turner and Lou.

How many years did they just "have to" fire Marvin?  I remember at least 3.  Changes in operating habits shouldn't blind us to the possibility that the family might stay the course against all odds.  Be ready.  It will be a kick in the nuts if it happens.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes, we’re currently picking 3rd. We have that stupid tie though. So we have to worry about all the 3 win teams.

Unless the season is canceled, which is what Mikey was getting at I think. If the season continues, then we gotta worry about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:54 AM)samhain Wrote: How many years did they just "have to" fire Marvin?  I remember at least 3.  Changes in operating habits shouldn't blind us to the possibility that the family might stay the course against all odds.  Be ready.  It will be a kick in the nuts if it happens.

No doubt. I'm always ready for a kick in the sack with this FO....

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:42 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Need work?

Nah... she's purring right along at 226k. Cool

I've looked at newer trucks, but they're insanely expensive, and I like everything about my old ride. I upgraded the stereo to a touch screen head unit with Bluetooth connectivity, back up camera, plays DVD for the kids...all new Fosgate speakers and Cerwin-Vega under the seat subwoofers. So it's modernized a bit. I see no need for a payment...lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 10:51 AM)samhain Wrote: True, but if teams aren't spending and higher-priced vets still need jobs, won't that just drive the numbers down on deals?  This might be the best year in awhile to get free agents if day 1 of FA starts without the usual jaw-dropping contracts being shelled out due to the cap increase.  Some quality players will be left out n the cold, and somebody's going to steal them eventually.

Yeah buddy, and this could play into Mikey's hand if he'll just do it. 

In my best Monty Burns voice...."Exxxxcellent"

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah buddy, and this could play into Mikey's hand if he'll just do it. 

Yeah, just maybe... Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah buddy, and this could play into Mikey's hand if he'll just do it. 

I see it all resulting in one-year deals for some vets looking to get better long term agreements next offseason when hopefully the league is back to raking in money at the old clip.  A team like this could get some really good players as mercenaries in 2021.  There's no huge QB contract being paid out, and we'll be in the upper end of cap room with the vets we have expiring and the possible release of Atkins.  You could load up without being on the hook for 4 or 5 seasons and dealing with all of the pitfalls that come with deals like that.  You just have to draft well in 2021 and 2022 to get young guys in place to replace the mercenaries when they leave to get the long-term money elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:17 AM)samhain Wrote: I see it all resulting in one-year deals for some vets looking to get better long term agreements next offseason when hopefully the league is back to raking in money at the old clip.  A team like this could get some really good players as mercenaries in 2021.  There's no huge QB contract being paid out, and we'll be in the upper end of cap room with the vets we have expiring and the possible release of Atkins.  You could load up without being on the hook for 4 or 5 seasons and dealing with all of the pitfalls that come with deals like that.  You just have to draft well in 2021 and 2022 to get young guys in place to replace the mercenaries when they leave to get the long-term money elsewhere.

Exactly. This is what a competent FO would do. We're in purgatory here....

Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly. This is what a competent FO would do. We're in purgatory here....

Good lord.  Just think about the off season here. Going to be brutal.  Answers to our questions are soon to have answers...maybe.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly. This is what a competent FO would do. We're in purgatory here....

We are basically the perfect team to do this.  We just need a staff that isn't a massive joke to incoming free agents to bring them in.
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2020, 11:23 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Good lord.  Just think about the off season here. Going to be brutal.  Answers to our questions are soon to have answers...maybe.

Yeah, it'll be a shit storm if changes aren't made...lol. I hope we get GOOD answers.

(11-28-2020, 11:25 AM)samhain Wrote: We are basically the perfect team to do this.  We just need a staff that isn't a massive joke to incoming free agents to bring them in.

Indeed on all accounts.

Reply/Quote