Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
This one seems like it's going to be a no brainer. You have to imagine at least Kennedy and Roberts rule in favor.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Yeah, it's going to at least be 6-3. Now excuse me while I pull up my personal Twitter instead of the office Twitter and get in on some SCOTUS blog action.
It actually went 5-4 with Roberts dissenting.
(06-26-2015, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It actually went 5-4 with Roberts dissenting.

Oh wow.  I thought it could even go 7-2.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-26-2015, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It actually went 5-4 with Roberts dissenting.

Wow.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-26-2015, 11:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh wow.  I thought it could even go 7-2.  

I thought the same. Also, each of the four dissenting wrote their own dissent. Kennedy wrote the majority opinion.
FOX News finally posted it.

Quote:Published June 26, 2015FoxNews.com

Facebook0 Twitter1 livefyre2 Email Print

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that same-sex couples have a right to marry in all 50 states.

In two historic decisions, the court also said states might recognize same-sex marriages from other states.

I just had to see what they said.

And the comment section just started...oh boy.
bout time...one small step in the right direction
I would like to point out to anyone here that Kennedy makes it clear in the majority opinion that religious institutions have the right to define marriage within their purview, meaning they will maintain the right to deny performing these marriages. Also, they make clear the First Amendment guarantees the right to disagree with SSM by anyone, and the right to advocate against it.
It seems like it was fairly close to actually going the other way. Just reading a few stories it looks like it's the fact that it's legal in some states and not in others causing trouble for gay married couples, especially with children, when they move to a non state is what swayed Kennedy.

(06-26-2015, 11:19 AM)Griever Wrote: bout time...one small step in the right direction

I think a lot of gay people would disagree with you that it's one small step.

5-4? How can a decision that is so right be simultaneously so wrong? I get that it is more representative of the general public's position on it, but I would expect better from the top justices of our country.

Guess it doesn't matter.
(06-26-2015, 11:28 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: 5-4? How can a decision that is so right be simultaneously so wrong? I get that it is more representative of the general public's position on it, but I would expect better from the top justices of our country.

Guess it doesn't matter.

You'd have to read the dissents, but i'm guessing it has less to do with opposition to gay marriage, and more to do with whether it was their place.  

(06-26-2015, 11:27 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It seems like it was fairly close to actually going the other way.  Just reading a few stories it looks like it's the fact that it's legal in some states and not in others causing trouble for gay married couples, especially with children, when they move to a non state is what swayed Kennedy.

I'm looking forward to reading the opinions, actually. If that is what swayed him it makes sense to me, quite frankly. FF&C is something I have often felt was one of the strongest issues with with this case.
(06-26-2015, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You'd have to read the dissents, but i'm guessing it has less to do with opposition to gay marriage, and more to do with whether it was their place.  

Pretty much. This is from Roberts' dissent:

Quote:"If you are among the many Americans--of whatever sexual orientation--who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not Celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

I personally disagree, but I will see what his argument was when I read the full dissent.
How many gay men just went...."Crap. Now what's my excuse?" Tongue

(06-26-2015, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: And the comment section just started...oh boy.

I'm actually seeing comments mocking those against it rolling in like the tide.  It's dizzying to keep up.

EDIT: Wait...the people claiming god will destroy us soon have arrived.
(06-26-2015, 11:32 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Pretty much. This is from Roberts' dissent:

I personally disagree, but I will see what his argument was when I read the full dissent.

I had a law professor once tell me if the ruling comes down in favor, then SCOTUS would be stating that the Constituion is unConstitutional. I really didn't/can't grasp the concept he was eluding to and he didn't say this in spite as he was pro SSM.

As to the ruling: si la vie
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-26-2015, 11:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would like to point out to anyone here that Kennedy makes it clear in the majority opinion that religious institutions have the right to define marriage within their purview, meaning they will maintain the right to deny performing these marriages. Also, they make clear the First Amendment guarantees the right to disagree with SSM by anyone, and the right to advocate against it.

As it should be.  And allowing the marriages to be legally recognized by the states is right also...separate from religion.
(06-26-2015, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm actually seeing comments mocking those against it rolling in like the tide.  It's dizzying to keep up.

EDIT:  Wait...the people claiming god will destroy us soon have arrived.

Well Ireland went first for gay marriage so if they disappear we will know our time is soon up.