Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
(06-27-2015, 12:55 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You're right there are plenty of cases in which divorce is not only alright but even necessary.

This pope annoys me. I hope he resigns soon.
(06-27-2015, 12:57 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This pope annoys me.   I hope he resigns soon.

I didn't think you were Catholic?  I mean I know you're Christian, but I thought you were the more Evangelical type.  I could be wrong on either of those assumptions.
(06-27-2015, 01:00 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I didn't think you were Catholic?  I mean I know you're Christian, but I thought you were the more Evangelical type.  I could be wrong on either of those assumptions.

I am catholic.

We attend both catholic and orthodox churches. Mainly because orthodox mass is in russian and the kids need to be around it to keep sharp with their languages.
I'm not evangelical at all.
(06-26-2015, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually out government has worked just fine this way.

The Courts don't have the final say.  if society wants it to change then they can just amend the constitution.

Honestly I believe that in another 20 to 50 years polygamy will probably be legal.

Times change.  Our laws have to change with them.  The laws can either be changed by the Courts or by the people if they disagree with the courts.  It is a great system that works well.

I'll error on the side of more rights than less.  
(06-26-2015, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sexual orientation as a protected class. 

I think this is inevitable at this point.  Sexual orientation should be protected just like race and religion. 
(06-27-2015, 01:18 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I think this is inevitable at this point.  Sexual orientation should be protected just like race and religion. 

The protected classes are becoming a larger group than the normal people.

It's about time we stripped away all protections and let people be free and live their lives.
(06-27-2015, 01:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The protected classes are becoming a larger group than the normal people.  

It's about time we stripped away all protections and let people be free and live their lives.

Spoken like someone in the majority.
(06-27-2015, 01:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am catholic.  

We attend both catholic and orthodox churches.  Mainly because orthodox mass is in russian and the kids need to be around it to keep sharp with their languages.

Oh wow, I never would've guessed you to be Catholic.  It's a good idea for sure to keep the kids language skills sharp, it's easier when they're kids.  My grandmother was from Germany and spoke it fluently, but you would never have known it, no accent with her English either.   But she never spoke it nor passed it on to the kids or grandchildren. I wish it had been passed a long.  I keep telling myself that I'm going to try and learn it.  I just never seem to find the time.
(06-27-2015, 12:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Part of it is that people claim he would never have gotten into Yale Law school in the first place if it had not been for preferential admission policies for minorities.  Then he preached against any sort of affirmative action.

Thomas has complained that when he graduated from Yale his accomplishment was diminished because people thought he just got in because he was black.

From what I understand no one can tell for sure if he got into Yale just because he was black, but some people also claim he rose through the ranks so quickly because he was a token black Republican.

Basically it is impossible to prove either side of the argument.  So liberals blacks can still call him a hypocritical Uncle Tom and conservatives can hold him up as the paradigm of a self-made black man.

Good analysis. Still doesn't explain why Matt's friends equated his decent today to being an Uncle Tom.

We will continue to wait patiently for explanation.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-27-2015, 01:30 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Oh wow, I never would've guessed you to be Catholic.  It's a good idea for sure to keep the kids language skills sharp, it's easier when they're kids.  My grandmother was from Germany and spoke it fluently, but you would never have known it, no accent with her English either.   But she never spoke it nor passed it on to the kids or grandchildren. I wish it had been passed a long.  I keep telling myself that I'm going to try and learn it.  I just never seem to find the time.

Yeah we try and get them to speak as many as we can. Russian, Ukrainian, belarussian, english, and we started Portuguese with the youngest. The oldest may do French or Italian. She is into the violin so she asked to do one of those....

If your gonna pick german or try to give it a go... Try pimsluer ... Let me know and I can send you the german program ... Save you a few bucks.
(06-27-2015, 01:41 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah we try and get them to speak as many as we can.   Russian, Ukrainian, belarussian, english, and we started Portuguese with the youngest.   The oldest may do French or Italian.  She is into the violin so she asked to do one of those....  

If your gonna pick german or try to give it a go...  Try pimsluer ...   Let me know and I can send you the german program ... Save you a few bucks.

That's cool

I'll keep it mind thanks.
(06-26-2015, 11:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They pretty much knew which way he was going to vote and contributed it to his conservative record.

Nobody that I know attributed it to him trying to please the Master.

I answered the question; your turn and I'll ask again.

Why did the folks you talk to call him an Uncle Tom?

(06-26-2015, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm curious to find out why Matt's friends called him an Uncle Tom because of his thoughts.

(06-26-2015, 11:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Possibly; but I think it has more to do with his not equating it to bi-racial marriage.

We'll have to wait for Matt to enlighten us of his friend's thoughts.

(06-27-2015, 01:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Good analysis. Still doesn't explain why Matt's friends equated his decent today to being an Uncle Tom.

We will continue to wait patiently for explanation.  

Man, I go to bed and someone is so hard up for me they do this 4 times. I interesting.

They didn't dislike the fact he dissented, they disliked the segment I posted from his dissent. The part about blacks not losing dignity because of slavery and all that jazz. I thought that was clear in my post, but apparently I stand corrected.
(06-26-2015, 11:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would think a lot of black people would agree with him today, and if you read about his upbringing, he's got the cred.

Most of them are against SSM, so it's not that they disagree with him dissenting. It's just that part in there that I posted that they were pretty unhappy about. When that hit the media they got fired up.
(06-27-2015, 01:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The protected classes are becoming a larger group than the normal people.  

"Normal people"? Lucie, you sometimes outdo yourself.

But seriously, we are all member of protected classes. Being protected from discrimination based on race, gender, religion, sexuality, all of that protects a straight white Christian male as well. The fact that the demographic I just mentioned has the most power in this country means that it oftentimes doesn't need the protection, but there are cases that it does and the laws helps them all the same. It would be wonderful if we could get rid of all of those protections but unfortunately they are still needed in this country because, believe it or not, discrimination still happens. A lot.
(06-27-2015, 07:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Most of them are against SSM, so it's not that they disagree with him dissenting. It's just that part in there that I posted that they were pretty unhappy about. When that hit the media they got fired up.

The dignity part? I would have thought that would have been applauded. Go figure.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-27-2015, 07:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Most of them are against SSM,

Really??? That's a pretty ignorant statement to make with no fact.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-27-2015, 09:58 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Really??? That's a pretty ignorant statement to make with no fact.

I believe he is talking about his friends.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

We tried that before and the majority always exploited the minority.

Not a theory or opinion.  Historical fact.
(06-27-2015, 09:50 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The dignity part?  I would have thought that would have been applauded.  Go figure.

Are you kidding.

Dignity means being worthy of respect.

How the hell can you tell a person held in slavery that he has dignity when he is being treated like an animal?  Those are generally the words of white apologists.  "Yeah, we may have treated them like animals, but they still had there dignity.  It wasn't that bad."

Plus this case isn't about dignity.  It is about equal protection under the law.