Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
(06-26-2015, 08:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Just based on the opinions of members of the black community I know. And also comments made about Thomas by them in the past (and today as well).

So you never bothered to ask them why they consider him an Uncle Tom? Thomas has served as Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights and Chairman of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Perhaps you should call them out on such ignorance. 

I talked to black folk today as well; none called Thomas any such thing?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The big question now: what will gay activists do now since their only job was to complain about gay marriage not being legal and subsequent issues?
(06-26-2015, 09:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The big question now: what will gay activists do now since their only job was to complain about gay marriage not being legal and subsequent issues?

Sexual orientation as a protected class. 

The Pope also came out today and said that in some cases divorce is alright. I'm going to keep an eye out for raining frogs today.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-26-2015, 09:58 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: The Pope also came out today and said that in some cases divorce is alright. I'm going to keep an eye out for raining frogs today.

Ask him if they can remarry. The raining frogs will stop
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

People should read Uncle Toms Cabin before using it as an insult. They'll look less foolish.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-26-2015, 10:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: People should read Uncle Toms Cabin before using it as an insult.  They'll look less foolish.

I agree, but it is what they tend to use.
(06-26-2015, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I talked to black folk today as well; none called Thomas any such thing?

What was their opinion on his statements?
(06-26-2015, 11:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What was their opinion on his statements?

They pretty much knew which way he was going to vote and contributed it to his conservative record.

Nobody that I know attributed it to him trying to please the Master.

I answered the question; your turn and I'll ask again.

Why did the folks you talk to call him an Uncle Tom?

I would think a lot of black people would agree with him today, and if you read about his upbringing, he's got the cred.

(06-26-2015, 09:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The big question now: what will gay activists do now since their only job was to complain about gay marriage not being legal and subsequent issues?

Lots to do. Many saw marriage as the easiest fight to win to get the wheels moving. A very good comparison would be to the civil rights movement. The NAACP knew they could challenge segregation in schools at the local and state level and eventually get it to the Supreme Court. They did this years before substantial civil rights legislation was passed.

Now you need federal anti-discrimination laws.

There's also a lot to be done to help the trans community.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-26-2015, 11:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would think a lot of black people would agree with him today, and if you read about his upbringing, he's got the cred.

I'm curious to find out why Matt's friends called him an Uncle Tom because of his thoughts.

(06-26-2015, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm curious to find out why Matt's friends called him an Uncle Tom because of his thoughts.

Because Black Republicans are often unfairly prejudged for the very fact that they're Republican.

See Michael Steele.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-26-2015, 11:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Because Black Republicans are often unfairly prejudged for the very fact that they're Republican.

See Michael Steele.

Possibly; but I think it has more to do with his not equating it to bi-racial marriage.

We'll have to wait for Matt to enlighten us of his friend's thoughts.

(06-26-2015, 11:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm curious to find out why Matt's friends called him an Uncle Tom because of his thoughts.

Part of it is that people claim he would never have gotten into Yale Law school in the first place if it had not been for preferential admission policies for minorities.  Then he preached against any sort of affirmative action.

Thomas has complained that when he graduated from Yale his accomplishment was diminished because people thought he just got in because he was black.

From what I understand no one can tell for sure if he got into Yale just because he was black, but some people also claim he rose through the ranks so quickly because he was a token black Republican.

Basically it is impossible to prove either side of the argument. So liberals blacks can still call him a hypocritical Uncle Tom and conservatives can hold him up as the paradigm of a self-made black man.
Well I guess now since this ruling it will also permit conceal carry in all states now as well.
(06-26-2015, 09:58 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: The Pope also came out today and said that in some cases divorce is alright. I'm going to keep an eye out for raining frogs today.

This pope needs to check himself.
(06-27-2015, 12:46 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well I guess now since this ruling it will also permit conceal carry in all states now as well.

False equivalency lol.  
(06-27-2015, 12:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This pope needs to check himself.

You're right there are plenty of cases in which divorce is not only alright but even necessary.
(06-27-2015, 12:52 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: False equivalency lol.  

Very legitimate. I can't wait for other things to be challenged .