Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generation Snowflake
(06-13-2016, 11:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this is one for the semantics police. I don't automatically respect anyone I meet. This is not to say I don't not extend to them ever courtesy and treat them with the decency required of any human being. Perhaps people would refer to this as "Treating with respect". 

I will say there are things that will automatically make me respect you. One of those is nothing more than being my elder. Others may include wearing your work uniform, I see you performing an act of humanity/charity, ect...

I just don't look at a dude walking down the street and say "I respect that guy". I will treat him with respect until he shows me he is not worthy of it or I will respect him once he earns it.  

Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth there.

But more to the point:  What if the other person is "weak"?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-13-2016, 11:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this is one for the semantics police. I don't automatically respect anyone I meet. This is not to say I don't not extend to them ever courtesy and treat them with the decency required of any human being. Perhaps people would refer to this as "Treating with respect". 

I will say there are things that will automatically make me respect you. One of those is nothing more than being my elder. Others may include wearing your work uniform, I see you performing an act of humanity/charity, ect...

I just don't look at a dude walking down the street and say "I respect that guy". I will treat him with respect until he shows me he is not worthy of it or I will respect him once he earns it.  

This is exactly how I approach people.  

Respect comes later once they have proven themselves.  
(06-13-2016, 11:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is exactly how I approach people.  

So you're a dbag to people until the prove their worth to you?

What a christian way to live.
(06-13-2016, 11:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth there.

But more to the point:  What if the other person is "weak"?

You always give people the courtesy until they are tested.   But if they prove themselves a coward in a clutch situation then they won't be getting my respect.  
(06-13-2016, 11:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: So you're a dbag to people until the prove their worth to you?

What a christian way to live.

I see you didn't read Bfine's post.   Good for you. 
(06-13-2016, 11:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This is exactly how I approach people.  

Not to sound like a big ol' d-bag, but what makes you think your particular brand of respect is something worth earning?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-13-2016, 11:38 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I somewhat disagree with you here.
Different people have different strengths.
Weak would be quite a subjective term.
[b{Let's say a docile guy took a punch and scurried off, only to bide his time until he could audit his bully through his position at the IRS.
Would that person be weak ?[/b]
Or..... would they be wise in knowing their limitations ?
Adversity is important to shape people.
The ways we deal with it are vast.

I agree with Matt, for the most part.
I afford respect, until someone gives me a reason not to (which could very well be a sideways look).

Sometimes it's not about winning.   To me just trying earns some respect.   Winning and losing are irrelevant.... Because there are so many factors... But being willing stand up for yourself or others even to a foe you know is bigger or badder is worth my respect.  
(06-14-2016, 12:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to sound like a big ol' d-bag, but what makes you think your particular brand of respect is something worth earning?

That's up to the person I guess.   I'm sure everyone values their own friends, families, and colleagues respect.   

Well to be honest: I doesn't take much to earn my respect. For instance this weekend was "fish grease" hot. I passed a guy walking in a McDonald's uniform (those are all black). I stopped and offered him a ride;which he gladly accepted. he earned my respect by walking to work on a hot day. Not everybody I saw walking that day earned my respect. However, if any of them would have indicated they needed a ride, I would have went out of my way to take them where they needed to go and been friendly and cordial then entire time. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-14-2016, 12:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to sound like a big ol' d-bag, but what makes you think your particular brand of respect is something worth earning?

Your life is not defined by the people that love you, but by the people you love. I suppose the same could be said for respect. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-14-2016, 12:04 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's up to the person I guess.   I'm sure everyone values their own friends, families, and colleagues respect.   

Seems fair.  You determine if you respect me or not and I determine if earning your respect is a good, meaningless, or bad thing.  If it sweetens the pot, I've punched people before.

Shocked

(10-26-2015, 12:34 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes don't worry I will post the follow up.

I think after eight months of waiting for you to prove yourself . . . you have proven yourself. Cool

I get what you are saying, the difference between treating someone with respect and actually respecting them. I'm not going to get into the semantics (though I could LOL) but I understand the differentiation you are making here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-13-2016, 11:57 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You always give people the courtesy until they are tested.   But if they prove themselves a coward in a clutch situation then they won't be getting my respect.  

Internet tough guy alert.
(06-11-2016, 10:17 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's already got a name.... The progressive era 

"The Progressive Era" began in 1877?

So Teddy Roosevelt was a progressive?
(06-13-2016, 07:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They are smarter but they are also not tougher.  The lack of mental toughness is a problem.    

They don't lose their minds when they see two men kiss each other or an interracial couple on TV.

So they seem much tougher than previous generations to me.
(06-13-2016, 11:15 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Everyone needs a punch in the face.  Whether it be a physical punch is another thing.   Everyone needs to feel intimidated at some point in their life because they need to know how they will respond when they are backed into a corner.   It's a critical life lesson that generation snowflake is missing out.   

And yes I want my daughters to feel intimidated and scared so they know they can always overcome anything that scares them.   

Once again I will offer my assistance in raising your girls properly.
(06-13-2016, 11:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: No one respects weak people.  

The fact that you do just proves that you dont understand the concept of respect.   

You earn respect.  By definition it's earned...  

So you disrespect everyone when you first meet them.

That certainly explains a lot of your opinions on certain groups of people.
(06-16-2016, 10:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Once again I will offer my assistance in raise your girls properly.

careful, he might report you for possibly suggesting you will assault "his" daughters
People suck
(06-16-2016, 11:00 AM)Griever Wrote: careful, he might report you for possibly suggesting you will assault "his" daughters

Well he already told is that Fred beats his own daughters.