Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Iloka? or no George Iloka?
That is the question. Should the Bengals bring back George Iloka or should the Bengals walk away. Apparently, if Iloka is brought back than that means good possibility marvin jones will pack his bag and bounce. Any thoughts?
Reply/Quote
George Iloka
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 05:28 AM)Stormborn Wrote: George Iloka

Agreed. I think he's a great presence on defense and if the Bengals give up on him I am positive many teams are going to rush to his doorsteps. The Bengals have a great defense as long as they can maintain their cool and manage they will have a great season!
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 05:44 AM)CrazyAnimal8 Wrote: Agreed. I think he's a great presence on defense and if the Bengals give up on him I am positive many teams are going to rush to his doorsteps. The Bengals have a great defense as long as they can maintain their cool and manage they will have a great season!

Gotta love George!!!! 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
The way to build a classically "stout" defense, you have to be tough up the middle. DT, LB, and Safety. Iloka is one of the best in the game, he's worth the money of a 5 year deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All kinds of thoughts here...where FA and such talks are being held... http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-THE-FRONT-OFFICE
Reply/Quote
I would definitely want Iloka over Marvin. Marvin is an excellent #2, but could be more dependably replaced in this draft. Not sure what Iloka will ask for in salary, and there would be a point where it wouldn't be worth it, but he is a major player in our secondary.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 0310-george-iloka-tweet-2.jpg]

George Iloka is a classy guy. We need more like him!
Reply/Quote
I think Iloka could be a better safety than Marvin could be a WR. And the tags are cheaper for safeties.

At the minimum we need to put the transition tag on Iloka so we at least get an opportunity to match any contract thrown at him.
Reply/Quote
That is no question. George of the Jungle, keep him.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 01:47 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: [Image: 0310-george-iloka-tweet-2.jpg]

George Iloka is a classy guy. We need more like him!
LMAO that was funny. Thanks for sharing. I was dying reading this haha. 
Reply/Quote
You re-sign Iloka. He's the most underrated safety in the league and will continue to play at a high level. I love Marvin Jones, but we have other weapons around him that are also young. With Iloka, there's young talent, but also older talent and free agents. You re-sign this man. He's earned it.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Hmm, neither if you have to overpay either.

Iloka is good and makes the defense better playing compared to not playing, but as long as you keep Nelson, you can roll with Nelson/Williams and not have much of a drop off to warrant paying Iloka like he was Thomas/Berry/Weddle.

Iloka's four years can be broken down as... 1 non-factor, 1 meh, 1 great, and 1 okay. That just doesn't translate to being paid as a top safety in my mind. He also doesn't really have many big splash plays. In four years he has 0 sacks, 20 Pdef, 5 INT, 2 FF. He's good, but not great.

If he wasn't wearing a Bengals uniform and was an outside free agent instead, people would be ridiculing folk for wanting to overpay him as a top safety and "become like the Browns and the Raiders".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 07:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hmm, neither if you have to overpay either.

Iloka is good and makes the defense better playing compared to not playing, but as long as you keep Nelson, you can roll with Nelson/Williams and not have much of a drop off to warrant paying Iloka like he was Thomas/Berry/Weddle.

Iloka's four years can be broken down as... 1 non-factor, 1 meh, 1 great, and 1 okay. That just doesn't translate to being paid as a top safety in my mind. He also doesn't really have many big splash plays. In four years he has 0 sacks, 20 Pdef, 5 INT, 2 FF. He's good, but not great.

If he wasn't wearing a Bengals uniform and was an outside free agent instead, people would be ridiculing folk for wanting to overpay him as a top safety and "become like the Browns and the Raiders".

Berry and Thomas are Free Safeties  Weddle is a Strong Safety, just moved this year after years at Free and has about the same stats as George this year.  Free safeties get the bigger pay day.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2016, 07:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hmm, neither if you have to overpay either.

There is also this thing called the learning curve.  He was drafted and developed into the player he is today.  Everyone knows that the Bengals aren't going to draft a Safety in the 1st or 2nd round, and they certainly aren't going to buy one in free agency.

Do you really want to wait another 3-4 years for another mid to late round pick to develop into what we have in George?  I know that I sure don't.

Pay Iloka, he's worth it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2016, 03:35 AM)CrazyAnimal8 Wrote: That is the question. Should the Bengals bring back George Iloka or should the Bengals walk away. Apparently, if Iloka is brought back than that means good possibility marvin jones will pack his bag and bounce. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure resigning Iloka is connected to resigning Marvin Jones other than in people's heads. We have the cap space to sign both of them and Adam Jones or Reggie Nelson.

Adam Jones is a key guy to resign.

We'll draft a WR or two this year, hopefully one who can return the ball and we can say adios to Tate, which would free up even more cap space.

Reply/Quote

Truth.

(02-15-2016, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There is also this thing called the learning curve.  He was drafted and developed into the player he is today.  Everyone knows that the Bengals aren't going to draft a Safety in the 1st or 2nd round, and they certainly aren't going to buy one in free agency.

Do you really want to wait another 3-4 years for another mid to late round pick to develop into what we have in George?  I know that I sure don't.

Pay Iloka, he's worth it.

I think the Iloka replacement would already be on the roster.

Shawn Williams with 5 starts- 28 tackles, 2 INT, 5 passes defensed
George Iloka in 12 starts- 47 tackles, 1 INT, 4 passes defensed

I'd prefer to have Iloka back, but I think Williams had a bit of a learning curve as well, and he's arrived as a starting caliber player. 

We didn't really miss a beat in the 4 games Iloka missed last season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Truth.

I think the Iloka replacement would already be on the roster.

Shawn Williams with 5 starts- 28 tackles, 2 INT, 5 passes defensed
George Iloka in 12 starts- 47 tackles, 1 INT, 4 passes defensed

I'd prefer to have Iloka back, but I think Williams had a bit of a learning curve as well, and he's arrived as a starting caliber player. 

Iloka is one of the best safeties in the game and he is only 26 years old compared to Reggie Nelson who will be 33.  Iloka is a key piece for the Bengals.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:51 PM)J24 Wrote: Iloka is one of the best safeties in the game and he is only 26 years old compared to Reggie Nelson who will be 33.  Iloka is a key piece for the Bengals.

Meh. I think Nelson is the better player and it's not all that close. That said, with Nelson's age, I'd also think about keeping Iloka and sliding Williams over to Nelson's spot. He's shown that he can be a ball hawk. As far as Iloka being a "key piece" and one of the best safeties in the game, I think that's a bit much. Solid starter? Absolutely. 

I guess we'll see soon enough how the rest of the NFL sees Iloka. A top safety will get paid that way on the open market.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2016, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  

I didn't realize it was four, which speaks volumes to your post.
Reply/Quote