Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Get ready for sexy Rexie.
I'd like to see Alford as slot receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You honestly don't know how a scout team works?  And the Bengal's coaches were so impressed with his abilities that he started the playoff game at slot WR.  And Welker had not fallen off the proverbial map yet, as he was still an asset.  

We had no one else.......

I like Rex, but as I said, if he is our starting 2 or 3 WR come September, we have problems.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with Rex in the slot and a FA #2, then draft a prospect or two (round three or later) to look at for the future. Rex didn't make the cleanest catches, but he's made them.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:33 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'd like to see Alford as slot receiver.

not a bad idea,but he's really unproven,but I'm sure the coaches will hammer it out and put the best option there. 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
If we just used Burkhead in a small package of gimmick plays we could call him "Quirky Burky".

All joking aside I give Rex credit for holding onto a roster spot for three years against some decent competition.  Both of the RBs we had on our practice squad (Watson, Wilder) were good enough to be signed away by other teams.  But if he was going to do anything big n the NFL we would have seen flashes of it by now.  Instead he has averaged 2.4 yards on 13 carries and 8.4 yards on 13 catches.  He has done nothing to show that he could be an effective slot receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we just used Burkhead in a small package of gimmick plays we could call him "Quirky Burky".

All joking aside I give Rex credit for holding onto a roster spot for three years against some decent competition.  Both of the RBs we had on our practice squad (Watson, Wilder) were good enough to be signed away by other teams.  But if he was going to do anything big n the NFL we would have seen flashes of it by now.  Instead he has averaged 2.4 yards on 13 carries and 8.4 yards on 13 catches.  He has done nothing to show that he could be an effective slot receiver.

Agreed.  He is a good role player, but not a starter.  If he starts, you're in trouble.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If we just used Burkhead in a small package of gimmick plays we could call him "Quirky Burky".

Good Post
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ha, no doubt. Just like any bad black QB prospect is Jamarcus Russell.

Either that or "Black Ryan Leaf."
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You honestly don't know how a scout team works?  And the Bengal's coaches were so impressed with his abilities that he started the playoff game at slot WR.  And Welker had not fallen off the proverbial map yet, as he was still an asset.  

Ok fine, make Rex Burkhead a WR because he isn't doing much of anything at his current position.  I guess the skepticism comes from guys who are reportedly "playing" a certain player on the scout team.

RGIII was a safety
Binns was Larry Fitzgerald
Burkhead is Wes Welker

How does that work?  How does an NFL-nobody like Binns pretend he is a first-ballot HOFer?  Can he pretend to be Larry Fitzgerald on gameday?  You're right, I do NOT get it.
Reply/Quote
I liked the glimpse of Rex at the end of 2014. In 2015, he stumbled. He had an early fumble that didn't help his cause. For me, though, it was another play that got under my skin. He was lined up as a receiver, beat his man, and was well positioned for a big gain... until he turned his head the wrong way to look for the ball, stumbled a bit, and missed out on a ball he should have caught.

I'm not calling him garbage or anything, but I think the play illustrated he is definitely a running back and not a receiver. He can help with screens, and slants, but asking him to catch that over the shoulder pass is out of his comfort zone.
Reply/Quote

As you sarcastically mentioned in an earlier post, he only got that shot in the playoff game due to injuries.  That is sometimes how players get their shot.  As far as saying he has done nothing to show he could be an effective slot receiver, I don't understand what you have watched.  He has shown an ability to get open and make some very nice catches, including the playoff game.  He has had limited opportunities because the Bengals had a third rounder in the slot that was a pretty solid option.  

Others have questioned his speed, but it isn't straight line speed that makes a good slot receiver, but the ability to change direction quickly and the toughness to work in the middle of the field.  His short-shuttle was the fastest in the entire combine the year he came out, if memory serves.   

I guess we will just have to wait and see what opportunity he is given this season.  I think Hue was one of his biggest supporters, so maybe he will just continue on special teams.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  As far as saying he has done nothing to show he could be an effective slot receiver, I don't understand what you have watched.  He has shown an ability to get open and make some very nice catches, including the playoff game.  

I have wathed Bengal games.

Hundreds of players have made a catch in an NFL game over the last couple of years.  that does not mean that every one of them has shown he can be an effective receiver.  The fact that he had 3 catches for 34 yards in a game where we had no other healthy receivers proves nothing.  He finished third in receiving yards that game behind a RB (Gio) and a lumbering TE/FB hybrid (Hewitt).  If he was any kind of an effective receiver he would have been our number one receiver in that game.
Reply/Quote
He fits into the Cederic Peerman category.

Good special teams player. Could step in and help in a pinch.

Not really someone you want to start.

Still valuable to the team.

I'd actually put CP above him though if it came down to roster spot.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think he'd show well in the running game if given sufficient snaps. Blend that with his receiving skills - which would limit a defense' ability to defend him and I think we'd be pleasantly surprised with some significant output.

I think we waited till Dillon was hurt before Rudi got any significant snaps. I would like to have seen Burkhead get more snaps when Hill was struggling.
Reply/Quote
I like Burkhead, but I can't see him as a slot guy. Solid player with some versatility, but special teams and the occasional play out of the backfield to give Gio a break are about all I want to see of him.
Reply/Quote
Side note, but I actually recall some people attempting to claim not having AJ for that playoff game would be "addition by subtraction" because it would lead to Dalton spreading the ball around rather than forcing it to AJ. Ahh, memories.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 09:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have wathed Bengal games.

Hundreds of players have made a catch in an NFL game over the last couple of years.  that does not mean that every one of them has shown he can be an effective receiver.  The fact that he had 3 catches for 34 yards in a game where we had no other healthy receivers proves nothing.  He finished third in receiving yards that game behind a RB (Gio) and a lumbering TE/FB hybrid (Hewitt).  If he was any kind of an effective receiver he would have been our number one receiver in that game.

Right.  In his first and only start in the slot, he should have been the #1 receiver.  Geez, whatever your hate is for the guy is misplaced.   Hue, the OC for the team, said he was very adept at running out of the slot.  So much so, it surprised him.  I know your ego that is almost as big as your arse probably can't accept this, but Hue knows his abilities better than you.  
Reply/Quote
Rex is a gamer... I think this will pan out for us in the slot.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 09:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right.  In his first and only start in the slot, he should have been the #1 receiver.  Geez, whatever your hate is for the guy is misplaced.   Hue, the OC for the team, said he was very adept at running out of the slot.  So much so, it surprised him.  I know your ego that is almost as big as your arse probably can't accept this, but Hue knows his abilities better than you.  

Then why is he never used as such? He only has a few catches in his career...
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 09:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right.  In his first and only start in the slot, he should have been the #1 receiver.  Geez, whatever your hate is for the guy is misplaced.   Hue, the OC for the team, said he was very adept at running out of the slot.  So much so, it surprised him.  I know your ego that is almost as big as your arse probably can't accept this, but Hue knows his abilities better than you.  

Over the last two seasons Rex Burkhead has 17 catches.   That places him on the top THREE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE over that period.  Of the 325 players who have at least 17 catches over the last two seasons Burkheads 8.4 average per catch ranks TWO HUNDRED FIFTY-EIGHT.  Burkhead also ranks TWO HUNDRED FIFTY FIRST in receiving tds over the last two years.

So I don't care how many personal insults you try to throw at me.  The fact is he has not done NOTHING to make anyone think he could be an effective slot receiver.  He has just barely held on to a roster spot, and even when we had no other health receivers  he could only put up 30 receiving yards in that playoff game you seem so impressed with.
Reply/Quote