Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion
(10-20-2019, 11:44 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Burrows would be the top of my list too. I'mma hard pass on Bama and OSU QBs.

I want a QB who can run. I want my Lamar Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Burrows would be the top of my list too. I'mma hard pass on Bama and OSU QBs.

There was a time that people said that about OSU WRs, too....now, not so much.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Is it players or scheme on defense?

Preston Brown was a decent LB in Buffalo. The secondary is filled with high picks...and guys like Bates and Jackson flashed serious talent in previous seasons.

I doubt the entire team just aged to the point that the are terrible.

It has to be coaching/scheme at some level.

I believe it is a combination of both.  Preston Brown would be a good MLB if you had speed outside of him, but only in base.  He is way too slow to play nickel.  The secondary puzzles me.  Too difficult an assignment?  Overthinking?  Our LBs are awful.  That kind of exposes everything else when the middle of the field is always open and they cant defend perimeter runs if their lives depended on it.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Burrow is A LOT of hype. He doesn't have the tremendous physical skills that you'd hope a #1 pick would have.

That said, I'll have to watch him next week. I see they play I think it's Auburn. I'll watch that and see.

What he does have is a lot of intangibles that are hard to teach. He's very good at using his eyes to look off defenders. He has good touch and placement, and the arm is good enough. He can throw guys open.

(10-21-2019, 07:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was a time that people said that about OSU WRs, too....now, not so much.  

Not a knock on OSU, but Urban Meyer coached QBs don't have the best track record at the next level. I believe it's the system he runs is very QB friendly at the college level, but doesn't translate well at the next level. Not a knock on Bama either, but they are surrounded by elite players in both sides of the ball.

I can't recall any OSU QBs making an impact on the league, and the last from Bama was Ken Stabler. Meanwhile, look at NCSt. Just my opinion but lately it seems the best QBs are ones who carry their teams in college and not the other way around.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 11:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. Burrow is A LOT of hype. He doesn't have the tremendous physical skills that you'd hope a #1 pick would have.

That said, I'll have to watch him next week. I see they play I think it's Auburn. I'll watch that and see.

Also, there is reason for the hype.....

"Burrow had yet another excellent performance, going 25/32 for 327 yards and four touchdowns. Burrow now has 2,484 passing yards and an incredible 29-to-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio."

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 08:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: What he does have is a lot of intangibles that are hard to teach. He's very good at using his eyes to look off defenders. He has good touch and placement, and the arm is good enough. He can throw guys open.

Not a knock on OSU, but Urban Meyer coached QBs don't have the best track record at the next level. I believe it's the system he runs is very QB friendly at the college level, but doesn't translate well at the next level. Not a knock on Bama either, but they are surrounded by elite players in both sides of the ball.

I can't recall any OSU QBs making an impact on the league, and the last from Bama was Ken Stabler. Meanwhile, look at NCSt. Just my opinion but lately it seems the best QBs are ones who carry their teams in college and not the other way around.

Pretty fair point, but I look at how Fields is so big and strong, has a cannon arm, and great mobility and I see him thriving in the NFL.  If not Fields, I just want a very mobile QB. A lot of people said DeShawn Watson and Lamar Jackson were system QBs and they wouldn't be successful in the NFL and they have made a real impact so far..largely due to their athleticism. 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 06:48 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I want a QB who can run. I want my Lamar Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would definitely win a playoff game with that QB, but how many running QBs have won a superbowl? It's inevitable, he's going to get crushed someday. They asked him how he handles the "hits" and he said "what hits". He just has to wait until a Burfict type player doesn't care. Now, you're a passing/immobile QB. ALA Andy Dalton. What can you do now?

It's a derrick rose type player, you predicate your skillset on speed. When curry and kyrie lose the handles, they'll always have the 3.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:34 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We would definitely win a playoff game with that QB, but how many running QBs have won a superbowl? It's inevitable, he's going to get crushed someday. They asked him how he handles the "hits" and he said "what hits". He just has to wait until a Burfict type player doesn't care. Now, you're a passing/immobile QB. ALA Andy Dalton. What can you do now?

It's a derrick rose type player, you predicate your skillset on speed. When curry and kyrie lose the handles, they'll always have the 3.

Steve Young and Russell Wilson have won. 

No one is really game planning for a mobile QB to run it 10-15 times a game, but having a QB who make adjustments at the LOS and can call a play where he sees something in the defense that may allow him to rip one off for 10-15 yards isn't a bad thing to have in your back pocket.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty fair point, but I look at how Fields is so big and strong, has a cannon arm, and great mobility and I see him thriving in the NFL.  If not Fields, I just want a very mobile QB. A lot of people said DeShawn Watson and Lamar Jackson were system QBs and they wouldn't be successful in the NFL and they have made a real impact so far..largely due to their athleticism. 

I doubted Lamar for sure.....but I felt Watson would make it. I watch a lot of ACC and SEC football in my area. I just never thought Jackson would put it together as a passer. I was wrong....lol. He has really improved his accuracy and decision making. Watson, on the other hand, was accurate in college, and was very smart with the football. I had a bunch he'd be a dandy. He's not what I'd call a running QB, but like Wilson, he can scramble to keep plays alive and run when needed. Lamar did a lot of running in college as designed plays....but he definitely carried an otherwise bad Louisville team.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty fair point, but I look at how Fields is so big and strong, has a cannon arm, and great mobility and I see him thriving in the NFL.  If not Fields, I just want a very mobile QB. A lot of people said DeShawn Watson and Lamar Jackson were system QBs and they wouldn't be successful in the NFL and they have made a real impact so far..largely due to their athleticism. 

Colin Kaepernick is and has been available for a few years now. He's the exact QB you sound like you want.
May as well go with Jalen Hurts in Rd 2-3 and get Kaepernick for a year or two while Hurts is groomed.
Or wait a year and roll with Kaepernick and Finley then get Fields in 2021.
If the Bengals don't go QB in Rd 1 in 2020, I want them getting Andrew Thomas in Rd 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If we didn't trade for this bum we could've drafted Edmonds or Vander Esch, both would be tremendous upgrades at linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:11 AM)Wyche Wrote: I doubted Lamar for sure.....but I felt Watson would make it. I watch a lot of ACC and SEC football in my area. I just never thought Jackson would put it together as a passer. I was wrong....lol. He has really improved his accuracy and decision making. Watson, on the other hand, was accurate in college, and was very smart with the football. I had a bunch he'd be a dandy. He's not what I'd call a running QB, but like Wilson, he can scramble to keep plays alive and run when needed. Lamar did a lot of running in college as designed plays....but he definitely carried an otherwise bad Louisville team.

I find this interesting because I also doubted Lamar and Cam Newton.  But I also thought Watson was different.

Cam did not seem to look at more than one receiver before running in college.  Kind of like Vince Young.

I still think Lamar will break down if he keeps running this much.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I find this interesting because I also doubted Lamar and Cam Newton.  But I also thought Watson was different.

Cam did not seem to look at more than one receiver before running in college.  Kind of like Vince Young.

I still think Lamar will break down if he keeps running this much.  Time will tell.

Sometimes that works in college though because the defenses aren't that great and they don't have to work through the progressions. In the Pros you do.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I find this interesting because I also doubted Lamar and Cam Newton.  But I also thought Watson was different.

Same here, and it's kind of odd that Carolina is undefeated since Cam went down.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Colin Kaepernick is and has been available for a few years now. He's the exact QB you sound like you want.
May as well go with Jalen Hurts in Rd 2-3 and get Kaepernick for a year or two while Hurts is groomed.
Or wait a year and roll with Kaepernick and Finley then get Fields in 2021.
If the Bengals don't go QB in Rd 1 in 2020, I want them getting Andrew Thomas in Rd 1.

dude keap didn't have anymore when he was still in the league after 3 years and the media circus hes never coming back...

You don't sue your boss and get to go back to work.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 07:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sometimes that works in college though because the defenses aren't that great and they don't have to work through the progressions. In the Pros you do.

This is what irritates me about college football.

For most programs, it's more about finding ways to win college games rather than get players prepared for professional football.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: dude keap didn't have anymore when he was still in the league after 3 years and the media circus hes never coming back...

You don't sue your boss and get to go back to work.

Which QB to go with then that fits that style that was described?
Dalton isn't that type of QB. Finley isn't either.
Hurts is the closest thing to that in the upcoming draft but should he be starting in 2020?
Bengals could maybe take a chance on Mariota as a stopgap...?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:21 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Which QB to go with then that fits that style that was described?
Dalton isn't that type of QB. Finley isn't either.
Hurts is the closest thing to that in the upcoming draft but should he be starting in 2020?
Bengals could maybe take a chance on Mariota as a stopgap...?

Funny you mention that, because I like Hurts too in maybe the 3rd Round as like a Russell Wilson type.

I'm telling everyone here, when you scout these QB's...watch them in the pocket and see which one steps up 2 feet to avoid the blitz. That skill is almost as important and arm strength and accuracy.
Reply/Quote
How did this thread turn into QB scouting lol

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2019, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How did this thread turn into QB scouting lol

MAGIC!  :threadjack:
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote