Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Chance Dalton & Green are Gone In 2020.
I knew Green wasn't signed. I just found out Bengals don't have to pay Dalton, they can get rid of him at no salary cap hit. Now you take those 2 big veteran Pro Bowl contracts away and you have money to rebuild for 2020's. Neither Green or Dalton will be here 2029, and they also fall into the What Have They Done Lately category. You can add in Eifert contract on that to go.

I'm sure Bengals are looking at Burrow. He would be signed cheaper than Dalton at first, top pick and all. The NFL changed things a couple years ago and the rookies draft picks aren't paid through the ceiling the way it was getting out of hand. A Burrow would get good money, but not veteran Pro Bowl money, not at first.

If the 1-13 Bengals dump Green and Dalton they owe them no money, no salary cap hit. That free's up money for the new players we all agree this team needs. So expect this to be just as year Carson & Chad left same year and enter Green & Dalton in 2011, only without the soap opera. More business than soap opera.

To Green and Dalton Fans I get wanting them back. At 1-13 it just makes more sense to dump the 2 biggest contracts on the team like pulling off a band-aid all at once. The Bengals will have mega bucks for new players. To those that say they already have some cap space, even better.

We are entering all new quarterbacks in the AFC North anyway. The question is who gets the best one. Right now it's Jackson, then Mayfield, then Rudolph, then Finley. The 2020's are here. Which team takes the lead. I can see the desire for a Burrow to be way up on this list of names.

They are all set up to make big changes like 2011, and at 1-13 and the awful 2018 season and not very good 2017 season and 2016 season, I welcome the changes. I've seen the team get worse and worse since 2015. Now at rock bottom it's time to start climbing back up. I felt this way after the awful 2008 and 2010 season, if Chad and Carson want to go, GOOD, get some new players in here. Just like 2011, it's time to dump the biggest contracts again in 2020.

It's not personal Sonny. Just like Pop, it's Business. Neither Green or Dalton are the long range Future, and at 1-13 going into a new decade it's the long range Future this franchise has a chance to go for NOW, THIS DRAFT. The good news is most teams in AFC North find themselves in rebuilding mode other than Ravens, so Bengals can maybe rebuild as fast as Steelers and Browns. Bengals can't stand pat and put off the rebuild and fall behind Steelers and Browns on this. 1-13 is not just a number, it's a fact this team needs major changes like after 2008 and 2010. It's not personal Sonny, it's Business just like Pop.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Im perfectly fine with both of them being gone next year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
AJ Greens has been a very good player in stripes.  It would just add insult to injury to watch him rip the face off the league in another uniform after sitting out all year.  Andy Daltons looks like he wants a new team.  I wonder if another team would pony up a draft pick or if they would wait for him to be cut?  Maybe they should look into drafting Joe Burrows.  
Reply/Quote
I still can't get past letting AJ walk...

...right onto an AFC-N team that we have to play twice a year...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In all likely hood Dalton will be gone, all things considered it just lines up to good. And I'd guess he wants out.

AJ I'm not so sure about ? He claims he wants to stay and usually that's just playerspeak. But with AJ I believe him. But I also believe he wants a long term high $$$$ contract and 1. I just wouldn't do it with the injury history. 2. I'm not so sure I'd tag him either just to uncertain a future to tie up that much money on a team with sooooooo many needs.

Long story short it wouldn't surprise me that some team will offer him more than Bengals will pay.

And as bad as I hate to say it (AJ) perhaps it's best if the Dalton/Green era is just over ?
Reply/Quote
Of the two, I would think Andy Dalton is most likely to be not to be a Bengal in 2020; I don't think Zac Taylor is ready to part with AJ Green just yet without seeing him in action first -- but I could be totally off my hinges. My big mistake is applying common sense to the Cincinnati Bengals with respect to personnel decisions, and then I remember the same dude is still in charge who gave up nine draft picks for Akili Smith.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 02:06 AM)kevin Wrote: I knew Green wasn't signed.  I just found out Bengals don't have to pay Dalton, they can get rid of him at no salary cap hit.  Now you take those 2 big veteran Pro Bowl contracts away and you have money to rebuild for 2020's.  Neither Green or Dalton will be here 2029, and they also fall into the What Have They Done Lately category.  You can add in Eifert contract on that to go.

I'm sure Bengals are looking at Burrow.  He would be signed cheaper than Dalton at first, top pick and all.  The NFL changed things a couple years ago and the rookies draft picks aren't paid through the ceiling the way it was getting out of hand.  A Burrow would get good money, but not veteran Pro Bowl money, not at first.

If the 1-13 Bengals dump Green and Dalton they owe them no money, no salary cap hit.  That free's up money for the new players we all agree this team needs.  So expect this to be just as year Carson & Chad left same year and enter Green & Dalton in 2011, only without the soap opera.  More business than soap opera.

To Green and Dalton Fans I get wanting them back.  At 1-13 it just makes more sense to dump the 2 biggest contracts on the team like pulling off a band-aid all at once.   The Bengals will have mega bucks for new players.  To those that say they already have some cap space, even better.  

We are entering all new quarterbacks in the AFC North anyway.  The question is who gets the best one.  Right now it's Jackson, then Mayfield, then Rudolph, then Finley.  The 2020's are here.  Which team takes the lead.  I can see the desire for a Burrow to be way up on this list of names.

They are all set up to make big changes like 2011, and at 1-13 and the awful 2018 season and not very good 2017 season and 2016 season, I welcome the changes.  I've seen the team get worse and worse since 2015.  Now at rock bottom it's time to start climbing back up.   I felt this way after the awful 2008 and 2010 season, if Chad and Carson want to go, GOOD, get some new players in here.  Just like 2011, it's time to dump the biggest contracts again in 2020.  

It's not personal Sonny.  Just like Pop, it's Business.  Neither Green or Dalton are the long range Future, and at 1-13 going into a new decade it's the long range Future this franchise has a chance to go for NOW, THIS DRAFT. The good news is most teams in AFC North find themselves in rebuilding mode other than Ravens, so Bengals can maybe rebuild as fast as Steelers and Browns.   Bengals can't stand pat and put off the rebuild and fall behind Steelers and Browns on this. 1-13 is not just a number, it's a fact this team needs major changes like after 2008 and 2010. It's not personal Sonny, it's Business just like Pop.

I agree. Neither AJ or Dalton will be here in 2029.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 01:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And as bad as I hate to say it (AJ) perhaps it's best if the Dalton/Green era is just over ?

Meh, it's just the way it is.  Geez, think of how excited we were to move on from the awful Palmer/Chad era and get onto our instant success with Dalton and Green being young and wanting to be here and so on and here we are 9 years later watching them want out and being disappointed with their output and looking for the next duo all the same.

Part of me saw this coming, but I thought I was just being negative as usual.
Reply/Quote
Dalton will be gone, AJ will still be here.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 02:06 AM)kevin Wrote: I knew Green wasn't signed.  I just found out Bengals don't have to pay Dalton, they can get rid of him at no salary cap hit.  Now you take those 2 big veteran Pro Bowl contracts away and you have money to rebuild for 2020's.  Neither Green or Dalton will be here 2029, and they also fall into the What Have They Done Lately category.  You can add in Eifert contract on that to go.

I'm sure Bengals are looking at Burrow.  He would be signed cheaper than Dalton at first, top pick and all.  The NFL changed things a couple years ago and the rookies draft picks aren't paid through the ceiling the way it was getting out of hand.  A Burrow would get good money, but not veteran Pro Bowl money, not at first.

If the 1-13 Bengals dump Green and Dalton they owe them no money, no salary cap hit.  That free's up money for the new players we all agree this team needs.  So expect this to be just as year Carson & Chad left same year and enter Green & Dalton in 2011, only without the soap opera.  More business than soap opera.

To Green and Dalton Fans I get wanting them back.  At 1-13 it just makes more sense to dump the 2 biggest contracts on the team like pulling off a band-aid all at once.   The Bengals will have mega bucks for new players.  To those that say they already have some cap space, even better.  

We are entering all new quarterbacks in the AFC North anyway.  The question is who gets the best one.  Right now it's Jackson, then Mayfield, then Rudolph, then Finley.  The 2020's are here.  Which team takes the lead.  I can see the desire for a Burrow to be way up on this list of names.

They are all set up to make big changes like 2011, and at 1-13 and the awful 2018 season and not very good 2017 season and 2016 season, I welcome the changes.  I've seen the team get worse and worse since 2015.  Now at rock bottom it's time to start climbing back up.   I felt this way after the awful 2008 and 2010 season, if Chad and Carson want to go, GOOD, get some new players in here.  Just like 2011, it's time to dump the biggest contracts again in 2020.  

It's not personal Sonny.  Just like Pop, it's Business.  Neither Green or Dalton are the long range Future, and at 1-13 going into a new decade it's the long range Future this franchise has a chance to go for NOW, THIS DRAFT. The good news is most teams in AFC North find themselves in rebuilding mode other than Ravens, so Bengals can maybe rebuild as fast as Steelers and Browns.   Bengals can't stand pat and put off the rebuild and fall behind Steelers and Browns on this. 1-13 is not just a number, it's a fact this team needs major changes like after 2008 and 2010. It's not personal Sonny, it's Business just like Pop.

2 Different players with 2 different cap ramifications. Dalton is under contract, but if we move him (I say they trade him or keep him, they will never just cut him), we gain 17 million in cap space.

AJ is not under contract in 2020, so options are we re-sign him to a longer term deal of 2 to 4 years, franchise him or let him go. If we let him go to become FA, he likely nets us a 3rd round comp. pick in 2021. f we sign him, it is added to our cap spend because as of n 2020, not under contract so no cap savings.

I think they try and get him signed to a 3 year deal, but depends on him if he values himself higher than he deserves. He has become a Eifert clone unfortunately (not dependable and may not be as productive like Eifert when he steps on the field again). He is a huge risk to give big long term contract due to age and injuries the past 2 years.

I see us trading Andy Dalton during the draft if we get Burrow and can get a good price. If not a team friendly deal, I see Bengals holding on to Dalton through training camp and then trading him for 2021 draft picks. Either way, I think AD will be playing for someone else in 2020 if Joe is drafted.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 01:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, it's just the way it is.  Geez, think of how excited we were to move on from the awful Palmer/Chad era and get onto our instant success with Dalton and Green being young and wanting to be here and so on and here we are 9 years later watching them want out and being disappointed with their output and looking for the next duo all the same.

Part of me saw this coming, but I thought I was just being negative as usual.

Palmer, Chad. Andy, AJ. Burrow, boyd. Good, but not good enough.
Reply/Quote

Having cap space doesn't mean much with Mike Brown. He'll save it up for late in his 10 year plan to return to a winning season. Don't expect any quality free agent signings, just some dumpster dwellers like Webb whoever the Giants or Miami cast aside after their dismal seasons.

He will overpay some sub-par players to stay, witness Hart and Bernard contracts so he can stay above the minimum salary cap.

I say these things simply because history says it will be this way.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 01:27 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Palmer, Chad. Andy, AJ. Burrow, boyd. Good, but not good enough.

Burrow has not played a single down in the NFL. Neither you, or anyone else know if he’ll be “good enough.”

Reply/Quote
It doesn’t matter how much cap room the have or free up mike brown will not pay a dime worth value in FA to add anyone this team NEEDS. This team needs to resign green Hopkins Dennard Wilson Billings Eifert Topou etc. but nottttttttt VIGIL.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 02:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow has not played a single down in the NFL. Neither you, or anyone else know if he’ll be “good enough.”

Unless he is some magic combination of Brady, Manning, and Brees then on this team it is safe to say he isn't good enough. 

This isn't a well run franchise with good scouting and management, this is Mike Brown's Bengals where guys who may excel with the right coaching look lost and under-perform.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Unless he is some magic combination of Brady, Manning, and Brees then on this team it is safe to say he isn't good enough. 

This isn't a well run franchise with good scouting and management, this is Mike Brown's Bengals where guys who may excel with the right coaching look lost and under-perform.

Andy freaking Dalton had this team close. If this kid is as good as he seems who knows what can happen...

Reply/Quote

Are you drunk?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Andy freaking Dalton had this team close. If this kid is as good as he seems who knows what can happen...

Prior to this season, Burrow was compared by most draft experts to Andy Dalton.

But, aside from that is the fact that Andy Dalton had this team close when it was loaded with talent. That talent is not here any more and this team has missed on several high draft picks in that time. 

Without a drastic change in the Bengals approach to Free Agency, which even Carson Palmer couldn't convince the team to do, there isn't enough talent on this team that any QB is going to come in and take it to an above average team.

Multiple years of not missing on any picks, and this team has a chance to compete again. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:59 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Prior to this season, Burrow was compared by most draft experts to Andy Dalton.

But, aside from that is the fact that Andy Dalton had this team close when it was loaded with talent. That talent is not here any more and this team has missed on several high draft picks in that time. 

Without a drastic change in the Bengals approach to Free Agency, which even Carson Palmer couldn't convince the team to do, there isn't enough talent on this team that any QB is going to come in and take it to an above average team.

Multiple years of not missing on any picks, and this team has a chance to compete again. 

Let’s be honest it was really 2 big misses that set us back. Og and Fisher. Although the Ross pick certainly didn’t help. I thought Taylor’s first draft here was terrible, but I don’t think it’s impossible for an elite QB to succeed here.

The defense has been looking better, the OL has been looking better, if Burrow is the real deal, Taylor can figure out his play calling, and we have a couple better drafts in a row, and use the money we’ll save on Dalton (and maybe AJ) on some decent FA’s, well...we might have a chance to be competitive sooner rather than later.

And yes that’s a lot of if’s.

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 03:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Andy freaking Dalton had this team close. If this kid is as good as he seems who knows what can happen...

Close is a relative term. The Steelers are going to get as close to the SB as we did in the past 31 years with a 3rd string QB this year.

Five straight 12th place trophies is better than nothing, though. 
Reply/Quote