Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook...
(02-06-2019, 09:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep, one four-year term. It is something that has its ups and downs. So you'd think the obvious heir-apparent would be the Lieutenant Governor, but Herring stayed as Attorney General this time because it has more potential to make a difference. The LG is a part-time position that pretty much just presides over the State Senate. So in 2021, both Herring and Fairfax were going to be vying to the Governorship. Then, Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney is also in the mix and has been implicated by Fairfax as the person pushing the allegations against him, the presumption being that he was going to throw his hat into the ring in 2021. There are also accusations against Northam from the Fairfax camp because they presume that Northam will favor Herring for 2021, and if Northam would resign it would allow Fairfax to run as an incumbent in 2021, which would really back-bench Herring.

On top of all of this, the next in line after those three is Speaker Cox. He is speaker because of a tiny GOP majority in the House of Delegates (51-49). The reason the GOP has the majority is because one election in 2017 was tied, and it literally came down to pulling the name out of a bowl.

Virginia state politics is ***** crazy.

Please believe I am not laughing at your circumstances, but this whole situation is a clusterfug of Larry David'ian proportions.
(02-06-2019, 09:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Please believe I am not laughing at your circumstances, but this whole situation is a clusterfug of Larry David'ian proportions.

You have to laugh, or you just get too mad about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-06-2019, 08:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh, the abortion bill thing was blown way out of proportion. The bill doesn't do much but reduce the number of doctors needed to make the call down from three to one, and also make it so a late term abortion could actually happen if necessary. The language in the law currently is so restrictive it isn't ever interpreted as legal, even if the health of the mother is in jeopardy. It would still require the life or health of the mother or the fetus to be in jeopardy for a third trimester abortion. The same bill was introduced last year, verbatim, and there was no big issue. This year is an election year, so Republicans decided to grandstand to try to rally their base and caught Tran, a freshman legislator, off guard.

Nothing in the bill went beyond Roe v Wade, right?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-07-2019, 09:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Nothing in the bill went beyond Roe v Wade, right?

Correct.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-06-2019, 09:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You have to laugh, or you just get too mad about it.

And it hasn't even been a WEEK since the original story broke!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-07-2019, 11:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: And it hasn't even been a WEEK since the original story broke!

i hadn't heard any of the other stuff so I looked it up briefly, and that is a shit show right now.  Is the next guy after these three a Republican?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-07-2019, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: i hadn't heard any of the other stuff so I looked it up briefly, and that is a shit show right now.  Is the next guy after these three a Republican?

I don't know...I'm sure Matt does.  It wasn't mentioned in the story I heard this morning.
(02-07-2019, 11:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: i hadn't heard any of the other stuff so I looked it up briefly, and that is a shit show right now.  Is the next guy after these three a Republican?

(02-07-2019, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: I don't know...I'm sure Matt does.  It wasn't mentioned in the story I heard this morning.

Yup. Check out post 41 at the top of this page. My post that SSF quoted has a bit at the end about the GOP majority in the House.

I will say though, that I am 99% certain that at least one of them will still be in office when the dust settles.

The allegations against the Lt. Governor are much more serious than the "sexual assault" that has been reported. Apparently the accuser states he forced her to perform oral sex. Forced oral copulation is a much more serious crime than sexual assault/battery. He's done.
So let's say the governor stays as a lame duck. One of the two, next in line, resigns and is replaced by a Democrat. Then the governor resigns and the new guy ascends. I mean, none of the current three have the public trust, do they? All three are done, I think.
(02-07-2019, 12:20 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So let's say the governor stays as a lame duck. One of the two, next in line, resigns and is replaced by a Democrat. Then the governor resigns and the new guy ascends. I mean, none of the current three have the public trust, do they? All three are done, I think.

Herring could survive this. The biggest issue with Northam was the way he handled the situation. Herring came out on his own and has been handling it pretty well.

And down the rabbit hole we go...

Senator Norment is the majority leader (GOP) for the State Senate.

(02-07-2019, 02:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And down the rabbit hole we go...

When TOM ARNOLD thinks you're weird.... Cool
(02-07-2019, 02:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: And down the rabbit hole we go...

At least he's not next in line... little victories, Virginia. 

(02-07-2019, 03:03 PM)GMDino Wrote:
When TOM ARNOLD thinks you're weird.... Cool

I laughed out loud at this.  I gotta agree with Tom with this one too.  I've never seen anyone in "blackface" before.  and I LOVE Halloween.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(02-07-2019, 03:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: At least he's not next in line... little victories, Virginia. 

Yeah, Speaker Cox graduated from JMU, which you may recognize as the school represented in my signature. In his senior class yearbook from 1979, his fraternity is described as winning an event which involved blackface. Now, no idea if he was involved or not, no images of him in that volume to show it, but yeah.

We have a problem with this sort of thing around these parts: https://mmulrooney.net/2017/05/25/confederate-heritage-at-jmu/

(02-07-2019, 03:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I laughed out loud at this.  I gotta agree with Tom with this one too.  I've never seen anyone in "blackface" before.  and I LOVE Halloween.

I've never seen anyone in blackface, either, but it is happening around us. We had an incident last Halloween with a community member and business owner that blew up in the local news. My wife overheard two students from New Jersey walking along talking about "ironically wearing dark makeup" for their costumes for a Black History Month party they were going to. I shit you not. That was last year.

(02-07-2019, 03:47 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I laughed out loud at this.  I gotta agree with Tom with this one too.  I've never seen anyone in "blackface" before.  and I LOVE Halloween.

One year for halloween I just wore black clothes, a black beanie, and had a fake machete. I then put some black halloween make up on a lot of my face because as a 5th grader who was doing this on his own while he mom worked nights, I thought "Yea, I'm a serial killer trying to blend into the shadows". I looked like a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins, but as a 31 year old, I realize I must have looked terrible to some of my neighbors. 

(02-07-2019, 05:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, Speaker Cox graduated from JMU, which you may recognize as the school represented in my signature. In his senior class yearbook from 1979, his fraternity is described as winning an event which involved blackface. Now, no idea if he was involved or not, no images of him in that volume to show it, but yeah.

JMU, the school everyone confuses with GMU which people only care about for concerts.

I think it's more dressing up like someone you're not than it is to mock. For instance as a child (I'm these folk's age) I dressed up as a "gogo" girl for halloween. I wore the short dress, the stripper boots, the blonde wig, and had the ballons for breasts.

If bfine were to ever run for public office; would anybody say he was disrespecting the LGBQTY community? Even if bfine had no idea of the political implications.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-07-2019, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think it's more dressing up like someone you're not than it is to mock. For instance as a child (I'm these folk's age) I dressed up as a "gogo" girl for halloween. I wore the short dress, the stripper boots, the blonde wig, and had the ballons for breasts.

If bfine were to ever run for public office; would anybody say he was disrespecting the LGBQTY community? Even if bfine had no idea of the political implications.

Not sure why you went with LGBTQ when the direct comparison would be women, but whatever.

I think the reason why there is more sensitivity to the idea of blackface is because of the history of minstrel shows. It is nigh impossible to look at a modern occurrence of blackface without separating it from that history, which is not that long ago to be honest. Minstrel shows, while they declined in popularity, existed around the country (including in northern states) well into the '60s.

I'm still in the mindset that if there is a revelation about something like this in a public figure's past, it isn't grounds for an immediate excommunication from public life. I said before that my knee-jerk call on Northam was more for political reasons. However, it has to be handled well. With Northam in particular, his changing story and abysmal press conference performance really sealed the deal for me on him and is why I don't have the same reaction for Herring. Herring has handled things well.

In this cluster-**** of a situation, my stance as a Virginia Democratic voter is:
Northam--resign
Fairfax--investigate the claims and proceed as necessary
Herring--move on