Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook...
(02-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not sure why you went with LGBTQ when the direct comparison would be women, but whatever.

I think the reason why there is more sensitivity to the idea of blackface is because of the history of minstrel shows. It is nigh impossible to look at a modern occurrence of blackface without separating it from that history, which is not that long ago to be honest. Minstrel shows, while they declined in popularity, existed around the country (including in northern states) well into the '60s.

I'm still in the mindset that if there is a revelation about something like this in a public figure's past, it isn't grounds for an immediate excommunication from public life. I said before that my knee-jerk call on Northam was more for political reasons. However, it has to be handled well. With Northam in particular, his changing story and abysmal press conference performance really sealed the deal for me on him and is why I don't have the same reaction for Herring. Herring has handled things well.

In this cluster-**** of a situation, my stance as a Virginia Democratic voter is:
Northam--resign
Fairfax--investigate the claims and proceed as necessary
Herring--move on

It's 100% about the historical context of blackface and its use to advance racist stereotypes. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not sure why you went with LGBTQ when the direct comparison would be women, but whatever.

I think the reason why there is more sensitivity to the idea of blackface is because of the history of minstrel shows. It is nigh impossible to look at a modern occurrence of blackface without separating it from that history, which is not that long ago to be honest. Minstrel shows, while they declined in popularity, existed around the country (including in northern states) well into the '60s.

I'm still in the mindset that if there is a revelation about something like this in a public figure's past, it isn't grounds for an immediate excommunication from public life. I said before that my knee-jerk call on Northam was more for political reasons. However, it has to be handled well. With Northam in particular, his changing story and abysmal press conference performance really sealed the deal for me on him and is why I don't have the same reaction for Herring. Herring has handled things well.

In this cluster-**** of a situation, my stance as a Virginia Democratic voter is:
Northam--resign
Herring--move on

To the bold...1000 times yes.

Anyone claiming they don't see what is wrong with blackface like in the yearbook are either in complete denial, ignorant of history or racist and doesn't care.

I agree with the rest also based on what I have heard and read.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I've gotta say all of this is some of the craziest shit to happen in Richmond in a while, but it's amazing how ridiculous the Virginia legislative session can be. People really need to pay more attention to their state goings on, because it can be nuts. Not this nuts, but pretty drama-filled to be sure.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-08-2019, 10:14 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've gotta say all of this is some of the craziest shit to happen in Richmond in a while, but it's amazing how ridiculous the Virginia legislative session can be. People really need to pay more attention to their state goings on, because it can be nuts. Not this nuts, but pretty drama-filled to be sure.

I follow a guy on FB who was in the PA legislature.  He used to give blow by blow some the things going on (until he lost the next election).  
(02-08-2019, 09:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: In this cluster-**** of a situation, my stance as a Virginia Democratic voter is:
Northam--resign
Herring--move on

I agree on the 1st two.  Herring went on record calling Northam's blackface a disqualifier then admitted doing it himself.  Why does he get a pass according to his own standards he already conveyed.....
(02-08-2019, 11:03 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I agree on the 1st two.  Herring went on record calling Northam's blackface a disqualifier then admitted doing it himself.  Why does he get a pass according to his own standards he already conveyed.....

Herring's statement was after the presser. He never stated that the blackface was the disqualifier (that I am aware of). The calls for Northam to resign really ramped up after the press conference, which indicates it is more about how Northam handled it than the blackface itself. The changing stories, the way that presser went, it all caused Northam to really lose trust with the people.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Some good thoughts on all of this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-ralph-northam-and-others-can-repent-of-americas-original-sin/2019/02/07/9aef18ec-2b0f-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html?fbclid=IwAR2puRZDb8QBAarWUluXg25hPi0YdvrN5DXSy6DWY5DtAwxYZGxsF2AoaEA&utm_term=.c5842a9cc85a

Things aren't looking good for Fairfax: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/second-woman-accuses-virginia-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-sexual-assault-n969571

A Democratic lawmaker has announced via Twitter that he will be introducing articles of impeachment against Fairfax if he has not resigned by Monday.

(02-08-2019, 09:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Things aren't looking good for Fairfax: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/second-woman-accuses-virginia-lt-gov-justin-fairfax-sexual-assault-n969571

A Democratic lawmaker has announced via Twitter that he will be introducing articles of impeachment against Fairfax if he has not resigned by Monday.

Seems like an overreaction. Do a full investigation before threatening to impeach him for refusing to resign over accusations. 

(02-08-2019, 11:21 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Seems like an overreaction. Do a full investigation before threatening to impeach him for refusing to resign over accusations. 

Perhaps we can get Mueller to head it up. He wraps things up fairly quickly. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-09-2019, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps we can get Mueller to head it up. He wraps things up fairly quickly. 

How about the guys and gals that investigated Brett Kavanaugh?  A lot of folks thought they did a very thorough job in a timely fashion!   Mellow
(02-09-2019, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps we can get Mueller to head it up. He wraps things up fairly quickly. 

Does he? I’m not familiar with the investigations he headed up in the past.

Should Joy Behar be fired from The View?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/02/07/photo-joy-behar-dressed-beautiful-african-woman-resurfaces-amid-blackface-debate/?utm_term=.14641d9e71da

Quote:Amid a national conversation and controversy surrounding U.S. politicians pictured in blackface, “The View” co-host Joy Behar has been silent about a photo of herself now sweeping social media.
The photo, which shows the comedian dressed as what she called “a beautiful African woman,” was seen several years ago during an episode of the morning show. But after an editor from the Wrap posted a clip from the show on Twitter on Wednesday, it renewed a debate about whether Behar was expressing admiration or whether she should have faced consequences like people who have worn blackface.

Of course I say no, but I'm usually on the opposite side of these issues.

(02-12-2019, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Should Joy Behar be fired from The View?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/02/07/photo-joy-behar-dressed-beautiful-african-woman-resurfaces-amid-blackface-debate/?utm_term=.14641d9e71da

Of course I say no, but I'm usually on the opposite side of these issues.

I don't hold celebrities (does she qualify? No idea who this is) tot he same standard as elected officials. I really couldn't care less whether she is fired or not for it.

(02-12-2019, 10:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't hold celebrities (does she qualify? No idea who this is) tot he same standard as elected officials. I really couldn't care less whether she is fired or not for it.

Nor do I. But neither were an elected official or a celebrity when they did it.  So I judge them pretty much the same. 

I haven't read all 4 pages of this, but has anyone asked why the Wayans brothers were allowed to make "White Chicks" yet?
(02-13-2019, 12:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't read all 4 pages of this, but has anyone asked why the Wayans brothers were allowed to make "White Chicks" yet?

'Cause it was funny.  And now that goddamn song is in my head. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-13-2019, 09:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: 'Cause it was funny.  And now that goddamn song is in my head. 

People thought minstrel shows were funny, as well. Just sayin'.

(02-13-2019, 09:38 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: People thought minstrel shows were funny, as well. Just sayin'.

I don't think we are going to run into anyone legitimately griping about white face.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-13-2019, 10:51 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think we are going to run into anyone legitimately griping about white face.

I know. I just had to throw that out there.