Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gov. Ralph Northam ‘deeply sorry’ after photo emerges from his 1984 yearbook...
(02-13-2019, 10:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know. I just had to throw that out there.

I could see someone pointing out what Nately said and not being sarcastic, but I don't believe anyone could legitimately be offended.  Plus we got away with Soul Man.   LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-13-2019, 10:58 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I could see someone pointing out what Nately said and not being sarcastic, but I don't believe anyone could legitimately be offended.  Plus we got away with Soul Man.   LOL

True, but this whiteface movie came out before that....so I saw this years ago.  It's a black actor playing a white guy who turns black.

[Image: v1.bTsxMTQ1Mzg4NTtqOzE4MDQyOzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4]
(02-13-2019, 01:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but this whiteface movie came out before that....so I saw this years ago.  It's a black actor playing a white guy who turns black.

[Image: v1.bTsxMTQ1Mzg4NTtqOzE4MDQyOzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4]

That's just genius.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-13-2019, 02:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's just genius.  

If I recall correctly, the idea is that he's a fairly well-off white guy who has it easy because he's white and he complains that black people just don't try to fix their situation.  He turns black and people treat him shabbily, he's accused of rape, and he ends up joining some Black Panther-style movement.  The ending is pretty weird and dark for a movie that starts off with such a silly "Look at me pretend to be a dopey white dude!" vibe.

Odd stuff.  I'd recommend it if you like seeing stuff that is dated and bizarre.  The actor seems like he was a bit of a "give 'em what they want and laugh to the bank" type, but I never looked much into the guy.

[Image: 3.jpg]
Oh...look!  A can of worms!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/06/virginia-republicans-offer-reward-blackface-photo-mark-herring/3081934002/

Quote:Republican Party offers $1,000 reward for blackface photo of Virginia's attorney general

The Republican Party of Virginia is offering a cash reward if someone hands over a photo showing the state’s attorney general in blackface. 

The offer includes a photo of Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring with the word "wanted." Herring admitted last month to wearing blackface when he was in college in 1980. His admission came amid a whirlwind of scandals and controversy that ensnared the state's top leadership, including its governor who also admitted to wearing blackface. 

"The Republican Party of Virginia is offering a $1,000 reward for either a verified copy of a picture of Mark Herring in blackface or verifiable contact information for Herring’s Sigma Chi fraternity brothers from Herring’s time as an undergraduate that ultimately leads to a verified picture of Mark Herring in blackface," the Republican party of Virginia wrote on its official website. 

The Republican Party of Virginia notes that the $1,000 reward would go to the "first person to provide verifiable photograph" of Herring in blackface. 

Herring admitted he wore blackface when he was 19 at the suggestion of friends who wanted to attend a party dressed as rap musicians. 

"It sounds ridiculous even now writing it. But because of our ignorance and glib attitudes – and because we did not have an appreciation for the experiences and perspectives of others – we dressed up and put on wigs and brown makeup," Herring said. "This was a one-time occurrence, and I accept full responsibility for my conduct."

Herring's admission came after Gov. Ralph Northam said he wore blackface in 1984 for a Michael Jackson costume and Lt Gov. Justin Fairfax was accused of sexual assault, which he has denied.  

None has resigned since the scandals broke. 

USA TODAY investigationReview of 900 yearbooks finds blatant racism

Herring had originally called for Northam to resign in the wake of the scandal and Northam's contradicting statements about photos on his yearbook page, which showed one person wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe and another in blackface. 

He told local radio station WAMU that his situation was different from Northam's, even though both politicians wore blackface.

He said Northam's back and forth statements "led to an erosion of the public trust, including the trust of those whose support he would need in order to govern effectively." 

"And so for me it was about that public trust and the support of those he would need. And that’s when I knew he couldn’t lead going forward," Herring said. "That’s the standard that I would hold myself to.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-07-2019, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh...look!  A can of worms!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/06/virginia-republicans-offer-reward-blackface-photo-mark-herring/3081934002/

$1000? Do they think this is 1870? They should offer $1 million and maybe Herring will slap some shoe polish on and take a picture today.

(03-07-2019, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh...look!  A can of worms!

Yeah, this is possibly one of the skeeziest things the RPVA has done.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-07-2019, 04:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, this is possibly one of the skeeziest things the RPVA has done.

Wait Larry Flint...nevermind.

(03-07-2019, 04:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, this is possibly one of the skeeziest things the RPVA has done.

But I notice political parties can never just let the other side wallow.  They always do something extra, push it a little too far, and end up looking just as bad.

(03-07-2019, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But I notice political parties can never just let the other side wallow.  They always do something extra, push it a little too far, and end up looking just as bad.

So true. I think it's a product of the way information flows. People feel like they need to jump in and respond. They need to just pause, take a breath, and see everything develop before responding. It's a fight to control the news cycle. Because of the 24 hour news networks and the internet, the news cycle is a constant flow and so pausing before responding means you aren't in control.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR