Poll: I know we can't really evaluate a draft until 3-4 years later, but what do you think about the job our coaches and FO did in this draft?
This poll is closed.
A+
9.72%
14 9.72%
A
25.69%
37 25.69%
A-
26.39%
38 26.39%
B+
18.06%
26 18.06%
B
12.50%
18 12.50%
B-
1.39%
2 1.39%
C+
1.39%
2 1.39%
C
2.78%
4 2.78%
C-
0.69%
1 0.69%
D+
0.69%
1 0.69%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F+
0.69%
1 0.69%
F
0%
0 0%
F-
0%
0 0%
Total 144 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Bengals 2016 Draft
I went with an A. This was a great haul with only seven picks. They made the most of them. Plus cockblocking the Steelers with William Jackson III was just too sweet...

It was obvious that the Bengals FO were playing to their board and trusted their homework. Getting Billings in the 4th was awesome, but I am guessing that they knew that the DT position was really deep this year and guys like Billings would be pushed down the draft due to being a two down guy.

I have to trust the Vigil pick in the 3rd was due to player scarcity vs DT's. Maybe Vigil wouldn't be there in the 4th round. The way Guenther talks about Vigil, he could be scary good. The Bengals really need athleticism and speed in the LB position, especially when everyone is passing and playing up tempo. I get why Vigil, just hope he could be even 70% of "The local guy drafted a few years ago"...

I love WJIII, Boyd, Billings, and Westerman picks...Each addressed needs and look like future upgrades at each position.
On Vigil, Core and Fejedelem picks...I have to trust the Bengals organization on this one...In Duke Tobin I Trust...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never criticized Billings.  I just said the Bengals were so much smarter than all of the people would have used s 2nd or third round pick on him.

I just hope Billings is not this years Dawson.  Last year everyone was squealing about how he was the steal of the draft, and he did not even see the field.

I am with you there, just doubt it happens. I believe Billings will be too good to keep on the bench once he shows
his pass rush along with his run stopping ability which is elite from what we have seen. Better than Peko in both
phases in my opinion and Domata will be a great teacher.

Peko is very unselfish, like Thornton was.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:36 PM)TexasorBusted Wrote: I went with an A. This was a great haul with only seven picks. They made the most of them. Plus cockblocking the Steelers with William Jackson III was just too sweet...

It was obvious that the Bengals FO were playing to their board and trusted their homework. Getting Billings in the 4th was awesome, but I am guessing that they knew that the DT position was really deep this year and guys like Billings would be pushed down the draft due to being a two down guy.

I have to trust the Vigil pick in the 3rd was due to player scarcity vs DT's. Maybe Vigil wouldn't be there in the 4th round. The way Guenther talks about Vigil, he could be scary good. The Bengals really need athleticism and speed in the LB position, especially when everyone is passing and playing up tempo. I get why Vigil, just hope he could be even 70% of "The local guy drafted a few years ago"...

I love WJIII, Boyd, Billings, and Westerman picks...Each addressed needs and look like future upgrades at each position.
On Vigil, Core and Fejedelem picks...I have to trust the Bengals organization on this one...In Duke Tobin I Trust...

Reps to you Texas. Rock On
Reply/Quote
No DE is kinda bummer.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 07:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A+

To think that we got Billings, WJ3, Boyd, Westerman in the same draft is just....

Insane. Best draft of all time. Not liking Vigil or fedejelum where we took them is yet to be seen. Don't matter with the players we got.

Plus Cody Core could be very good coached up by Urban. Cannot teach size and speed.

Same thing I was thinking. A+
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A - good solid draft
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 07:57 PM)jeremydc Wrote: From what I have read, our 7th rounder has been consistently exceeding expectations. Huge chip on his shoulder.

He needs to put a rat tail next to that chip.
Reply/Quote
Vigil worthless, would have been higher otherwise. B.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Why would anybody use the word worthless to describe a pick at this point?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Vigil worthless, would have been higher otherwise. B.

Vigil was a terrific pick. You need to do some learnin
Reply/Quote
Awesome draft.

You have to work with the hand your dealt and when all those WR's came off the board right before our pick, you can't fault them for choosing BPA. And that so happened to be a position of need IMO, with Adam getting older, Dre still uncertain (along with Dennard), good first pick. Icing on the cake, the Steelers would have picked him up if we didn't.

Boyd looks great. I liked the Keenan Allen comparison. That would be a great contrast to AJ. Small, fast, and shifty.

Vigil I'm not to thrilled about but we got Billings in the next round which was a steal. Can't understand why he fell down so much.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:29 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Vigil was a terrific pick. You need to do some learnin

Watch him against Boise State boys, dude shows what he has in that game.

The people that get all hyped up on highlights don't understand how the game changes when you are in it.

But Billings bro, BILLINGS!!!
Reply/Quote
Not sure how to rate it all at this point being none of them have played a snap yet in the NFL. As far as the 'pundits' go..who cares? They only look at what's all shiny and pretty.
I like it so far, but the real truth will come out in a few years.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I graded it at A- overall, with the last two pick not being factored in.

1. Will Jackson, CB  A+  Just love this pick.
2. Tyler Boyd, WR  A  Was clearly the best WR when we picked in the 2nd round and like it or not we needed to get someone who is going get on the field at this position.
3. Nick Vigil, LB  C+  Nothing against the guy [and people do confuse unhappiness with the pick as being unhappiness with the guy, but that's just not the case]. Clearly makes a lot of tackles all over the field. Just question the value here and don't see him as the BPA when we picked. Could be wrong about the value and could also be right as well. He might turn into a Pro Bowl LB some day or he might be the next irrelevant LB like DiManche.
4. Andrew Freaking Billings, DT  A+  Despite his fall which seemed to shock most everyone, including those announcing on NFL Network, he's got a chance to unseat Sims and become a regular part of the rotation. If he does, then this is an A++++ pick.
5. Christian Westerman, G  A  Great value and TJ Johnson may be out of a job come the regular season.
6. Cody Core, WR  ?  If he makes the team and contributes on teams, then it's a good pick. Won't know till season starts.
7. Clayton Fejedelem, S  ?  Same as Core.

Why an A- and not an A? Because we didn't get a returner and that's one position I really wanted to see the team improve. While I love Adam Jones returning kicks, I hate to see our best corner doing kick return duty because our regular returner is a nimrod.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:15 PM)Shady Wrote: Me, too.

Browns had 14 picks
Ravens had 11
Stoolers had 7

I think we still did better overall.

I agree, and although this is likely to bring me lots of ridicule...the Browns are my second favorite team.  It is light years behind the Bengals, but if they aren't playing Cincy, I root for them.  It started one night at a bar when I was blowing off steam (looking to antagonize any steeler fan in to wanting to fight me) and the Browns actually beat the steelers on a Thursday Night game.  The bar was PACKED with steelers losers, er, fans, and I kept hooting on them all night during the game.  That was a BradyQuinn-led team.  They sacked Vagiburger something like 7 times.  I had the time of my life.

Back to my point.  I am rooting for the Browns and I have liked everything they have done thus far.  I hope in a few years putzburg goes 0-4 against the state of Ohio.  However, with the current state of the Bengals (so close to winning it all IMHO) they managed to keep key pieces, load up on talent in the draft, and have a stable of compensatory picks for next year.  They are in perfect position to make a run.  That draft was borderline perfect.  
Reply/Quote
Solid B+ until you take into account tweaking the Stoolers. That makes it an A.
Reply/Quote
1. Will Jackson, CB B He's a decent pickup, but it's like taking a tackle when you've got two that are starting. You're only playing it safe without the expectation the guy is starting. And Jackson likely won't see any time for a season or three.

2. Tyler Boyd, WR A Good pickup and should see the field before too long. Fills a need, provides some depth.
3. Nick Vigil, LB D Fifth round pick in the third. Will be brought in to cover RBs on passing plays in about three seasons. Will be called a special teams ace until he doesn't get renewed.
4. Andrew Freaking Billings, DT A Finally, a decent player at a need. Should fit into the rotation.
5. Christian Westerman, G C Good player, not much of a role for him on our current line. Probably won't see any time until he leaves in four years. Like taking Marshawn Lynch when you've already got Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson on the roster. Brilliant move if thre's an injury, most likely the Bengla are just a note on his Wikipedia page.
6. Cody Core, WR D Tate 2.0
7. Clayton Fejedelem, S D Seriously, just take a kicker or center at this point and see what they've got in camp. At least make it look like you're trying to address the same old needs.

A C draft. Not really expecting much out of this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:26 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Why would anybody use the word worthless to describe a pick at this point?

Ignorance.

There are a certain group of fans that just enjoy hating on their team.  All teams have them.  Not just the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Let's remember we started and had 7 picks at the 24th position or lower 3rd every round. I gave it a A-

Jackson - A+ I think he will end up being the best CB in this draft class. Dre is not locked up and Dennard coming off  bad shoulder injury
Boyd - B+ He was the best left after a tough round 1 where 4 WR's were gone by pick #24
Vigil - A I think he becomes a 3 down LB by 2017 and a special team star this year
Billings - A+ I would give s higher grade if available, he will become a solid NFL starter in round 4 which is rare. He is the Peko 2017 replacement
Westerman - A He is a solid guard with a 2nd/3rd round grade and we got him late in round #5. Also, Zeitler is not locked up long term so insurance for 2017
Core - C He was not on my list and will have a tough time making the 53 man roster, possible practice squad unless he becomes special team ace
Fejedelem - B I see him as being a special team star while he adapts to NFL safety and back up to IIoka and Williams
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shady, i honestly have never seen this many great college players taken by one team in a draft.

Especially with so few picks available to them this year. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote