Poll: I know we can't really evaluate a draft until 3-4 years later, but what do you think about the job our coaches and FO did in this draft?
This poll is closed.
A+
9.72%
14 9.72%
A
25.69%
37 25.69%
A-
26.39%
38 26.39%
B+
18.06%
26 18.06%
B
12.50%
18 12.50%
B-
1.39%
2 1.39%
C+
1.39%
2 1.39%
C
2.78%
4 2.78%
C-
0.69%
1 0.69%
D+
0.69%
1 0.69%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F+
0.69%
1 0.69%
F
0%
0 0%
F-
0%
0 0%
Total 144 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Bengals 2016 Draft
(05-01-2016, 12:42 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Who in this draft was an upgrade that we could have gotten? I'm sure if the Bengals saw a DE of value they would have picked him, it just wasn't a good draft for ends

You didn't see anyone in this draft that was most likely an upgrade to Margus hunt?

LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kipers grades are out, anybody got Insider and want to share?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 07:47 PM)Shady Wrote: So, how did we do?

1. Will Jackson, CB  A+  Obviously best player on the board, at that time.
2. Tyler Boyd, WR   A  We got a good talent at a position that took a hit this offseason. 
3. Nick Vigil, LB  C-  At first glance, he looks like a good pick, according to his size and speed.  However, when I read things like more athletic than powerful, lacks stopping power, loses step when flipping hips in coverage, etc.  I wonder, Why?
4. Andrew Freaking Billings, DT  B+ for picking up a DT with a 1st round projection in the 4th.  Why did he fall?  I read things like "relies too much on forward lean, ends up on turf too often".
5. Christian Westerman, G  C  Meh, sure we can always use OL depth.  Still many better players on board at this time.
6. Cody Core, WR  A+  Tall, wicked fast, huge hands.  This guy is going to be a difference maker.
7. Clayton Fejedelem, S  D-  Who?  NFL or CBS didn't even have a scouting report on this guy.

Looks to me like we covered every position we needed to cover. I expect to see us add Roger Lewis and a RB or 2 as UDFAs.

I voted B+ for the overall grade.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sports Illustrated A+
SB Nation B
PFF A-
CBS B+
Sports News B
Bleacher Report B-

Looks like around a B to B+ from these groups which put us right at the top of the AFC North with Ravens... then Pittsburgh and Cleveland at the bottom
Reply/Quote
I went with B+
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 09:46 AM)Benton Wrote: You didn't see anyone in this draft that was most likely an upgrade to Margus hunt?

LOL

I didn't see anyone that was most likely and upgrade to Hunt in the later rounds. I wouldn't even think about spending a pick on DE depth before CB (need), WR (need), or Andrew Billings (steal of the draft) in the 4th. Even by the 3rd round there weren't a lot of good DE's still left because it wasn't a DE deep draft.
Reply/Quote
I don't mind people being critical, but i think anyone who gave the draft a "C" or"D" should give an explanation.

I always make my polls open so we can all see how everyone voted.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 10:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mind people being critical, but i think anyone who gave the draft a "C" or"D" should give an explanation.

I always make my polls open so we can all see how everyone voted.

those votes are considered in political terms an outlier.. really mean little to the overall nature of the vote
Reply/Quote
Jackson III CB... B+
Boyd..A
Vigil...C+
Billings..A
Westerman..A
Core...C+
Fejedelem..C+

Final Grade B+
Reply/Quote
Jackson III CB... B - (I just don't see this guy being a huge upgrade to what we have)
Boyd..B (This is the one I have a "wait and see" grade on. He could be good, but I have my doubts as he doesn't run deep routes much which means CBs can sit on certain routes.)
Vigil...C- (A lot of concerns)
Billings..A (4th round -- Great value)
Westerman..B+ (5th round -- Very solid Value)
Core...C
Fejedelem..C -

Final Grade C+ Not sold on this draft but I've seen worse. Perhaps a B.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 12:54 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: What kind of depth do you think that they had last season? I don't see anyone that was spectacular outside of the starting lineup. The Bengals starting lineup will be just as good as they were last year. Plus we still have solid depth players especially in the interior line.
Every single offseason we here about the " Rotation" and how important it is to have one. My question is how can we have a rotation when we don't have any players after our starting line. Clarke and Hunt are terrible and we have know idea who Hardison will be at this point. Also MJ is a good player but he is not known for his pass rush it would have been nice to have drafted a pure edge rusher to replace him on passing downs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:02 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: It's an A for me.

We are all freaking out about the value of Billings but when it's all said and done I think Boyd is a fantastic pick, and likely to be the best. I've gone back over the little I saw of him before and he really excites me, a proper #2 in every sense. Really polished route runner, superb hands and smashed some of Larry Fitzgerald's receiving records at Pitt.

Yes, he broke LF's records with 3 different qbs. Guys like Boyd are why I don't understand all the love for Michael Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 09:52 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Kipers grades are out, anybody got Insider and want to share?

Ravens - A
Bengals A-
Steelers B
Browns C  believe
Kiper loved it and said he can't remember last bad Bengals draft
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The Bengals had a very good draft imo......A-
Good Job Team !!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ravens - A
Bengals A-
Steelers B
Browns C  believe
Kiper loved it and said he can't remember last bad Bengals draft

Thanks.  A- is what I voted for too.  Every pick was on point, except for the 3rd(relax Vigilantes, he should've went #1 overall).  

The only thing we could've done better is maybe moved and shaked our way up to one of those top tear WR's in the 1st.  But then we wouldn't have got an awesome CB and Boyd is right underneath those other WR's.  

We could've used a pass rusher, but there was no value when we were picking.  We would've had to reach a half round to select one.  

We could've panicked and took a WR in the 1st and really crapped things up the rest of the way or panicked and reached on a pass rusher and crapped up the rest of our picks too.  We stuck to our guns and that's why they get the A- grade
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 02:00 PM)J24 Wrote: Every single offseason we here about the " Rotation" and how important it is to have one. My question is how can we have a rotation when we don't have any players after our starting line.  Clarke and Hunt are terrible and we have know idea who Hardison will be at this point. Also MJ is a good player but he is not known for his pass rush it would have been nice to have drafted a pure edge rusher to replace him on passing downs.

The rotation is mostly for our interior defensive line if you haven't noticed. Dunlap takes almost all of the snaps and Johnson takes the vast majority of it. Hunt isn't very good, but Clarke isn't as bad as what you act like. Neither have had a lot of play time for you to even figure out how good or bad they are anyways. We had way bigger needs than to get a DE that will rarely ever see the field if any.
Reply/Quote
I think some of you are overlooking the fact the Billings will (eventually) help open things up for the DE's we already have. 

A+ draft in my book. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 05:49 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I think some of you are overlooking the fact the Billings will (eventually) help open things up for the DE's we already have. 

A+ draft in my book. 

I'd love to think that will be the case.  However, let's see how things play out.  According to Billings' scouting report, he has a few flaws.  Perhaps that is why he fell to the 4th?  Let's just hope that his upside takes over, and his problems with forward lean can get coached away.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd love to think that will be the case.  However, let's see how things play out.  According to Billings' scouting report, he has a few flaws.  Perhaps that is why he fell to the 4th?  Let's just hope that his upside takes over, and his problems with forward lean can get coached away.

Why was Geno Atkins drafted in the 4th? Andrew Billings will be a beast. I think you should watch some tape on him. The biggest reason he slipped was his size (just like Geno Atkins). People say "he can't get to the passer" but he had 75 QB pressures the last two years. I think that's getting to the passer.
Reply/Quote

I mean... have you ever seen a DT do that?
Reply/Quote