Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green is great-but is he really ELITE?
(12-29-2015, 06:22 PM)Whacked Wrote: Anyone change their minds yet from my original post and sentiment 3.5 months ago? Hope last night proves my point a bit further 

Nope...  Top 5 at your position makes a player elite....  AJ = elite.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:12 PM)Whacked Wrote: Jerry Rice
Marvin Harrison
Steve Largent
TO (yeah, seriously)
Michael Irvin
Tim Brown
Randy Moss

That's like less than 2 elite WRs per decade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
^Never knew that was a rule for "how many must make up a list per decade or year". Lol
Reply/Quote
Never said AJ was not EXCELLENT. I said he was not ELITE
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:20 PM)Whacked Wrote: ^Never knew that was a rule for "how many must make up a list per decade or year". Lol

So who makes up the rule for who is not elite? Lol
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:18 PM)jason Wrote: Nope...  Top 5 at your position makes a player elite....  AJ = elite.

According to who's definition? 

Ask 10 people what defines elite you will get 10 different lists of criteria. 

Why can't I have my definition just like you have yours? lol 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:20 PM)Whacked Wrote: ^Never knew that was a rule for "how many must make up a list per decade or year". Lol

I don't know, but a guy would have to lead the NFL for several years just to crack the barrier. Seems a wee bit stiff maybe.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So who makes up the rule for who is not elite? Lol

Agreed. Lol  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I don't know, but a guy would have to lead the NFL for several years just to crack the barrier. Seems a wee bit stiff maybe.

I accept that. Not sure why I need to call him elite when I just think is he is excellent. 

Elite = 10/10
Excellent = 8.6-9.9/10
Very good = 8.0-8.5

Elite is the best of the best but that's MY definition Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:23 PM)Whacked Wrote: According to who's definition? 

Ask 10 people what defines elite you will get 10 different lists of criteria. 

Why can't I have my definition just like you have yours? lol 

First off...  "Elite" is right up there with "narrative" when it comes to played out sports lingo.  We sound like the national media debating whether or not Eli and Flacco are elite.  At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.  I'm not sure how I stepped on your opinion or definition of elite by stating my (and every secondary coach in the NFL's) opinion, but I apologize....  If AJ Green is not elite, nobody on the Bengals is. They are just a team of pretty good players.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I can dig that brother Wink
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:26 PM)Whacked Wrote: I accept that. Not sure why I need to call him elite when I just think is he is excellent. 

Elite = 10/10
Excellent = 8.6-9.9/10
Very good = 8.0-8.5

Well he is the first WR in his first 5 years to make it to the Pro Bowl.. so i will say 5/5 means Elite by your standard
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 09:26 PM)Whacked Wrote: I accept that. Not sure why I need to call him elite when I just think is he is excellent. 

Elite = 10/10
Excellent = 8.6-9.9/10
Very good = 8.0-8.5

This scale sucks. Name me 1 perfect receiver. Lame
Reply/Quote
My personal criteria for an elite player at any position....puts the team on his back and wills them to victory in big games, other teams fear him, and you just know he's going to make the play to win the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 01:36 AM)Beaker Wrote: My personal criteria for an elite player at any position....puts the team on his back and wills them to victory in big games, other teams fear him, and you just know he's going to make the play to win the game.

Which AJ isn't !

Michael Irvin summed him up well like midseason. "AJ is an excellent athlete and an awesome Wr, but he isn't physical enough to be truly elite". 

Words to that effect. Now add in the fact that he isn't clutch in "big games" at all and him and elite aren't in the same sentence.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 10:49 PM)Fresno B Wrote: This scale sucks. Name me 1 perfect receiver. Lame

Jerry Rice.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Jerry Rice.

Oh, you mean Mr. Stick-um?
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2015, 08:12 PM)Whacked Wrote: I guess you loved the play where he totally gave up on the pass in the end zone in a game that SIGNIFICANTLY mattered and oh by the way; had he NOT and caught it (which he does have the talent to do) - we win the game.

As stated.... EXCELLENT WR but not Elite.

Pretty much every elite receiver has had bad plays.  Randy Moss and TO had numerous bad drops.  The failure to keep running was a case of bad judgement.  He has some improvement to make, but I do think he's in an elite class.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Which AJ isn't !

Michael Irvin summed him up well like midseason. "AJ is an excellent athlete and an awesome Wr, but he isn't physical enough to be truly elite". 

Words to that effect. Now add in the fact that he isn't clutch in "big games" at all and him and elite aren't in the same sentence.

Yet Green continues to do great things and post records. He's done things no other Bengals player has. And has done things no other player has done either.

Green is elite. Irvin is all talk. You could go back and see how much he loves talking about his Cowboys. Or how it's a good think OBJ didn't get thrown out of the game and that they dislike them suspending OBJ.

Irvin isn't a coach. Yes, he played receiver and was a great one. But Green's numbers and body of work points otherwise to what Irvin is saying. Green isn't physical? Do you SEE how that man swats hands away and gets corners off of him?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 02:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Which AJ isn't !

AJ Green>Michael Irving
Reply/Quote