Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Grier gone to the Patriots
All this for a journeyman QB who happened to play well in a PREseason game. Grier is no better than Browning
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Regardless of Grier’s outlook/ability/etc, the Bungles might be going into a MNF game with one healthy QB on the roster. Stop with the “Grier ain’t no good lol” red herrings. And no, I do not think this is evidence Burrow is going to be able to play. I think we had no idea they could lose Grier like this.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:49 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Regardless of Grier’s outlook/ability/etc, the Bungles might be going into a MNF game with one healthy QB on the roster. Stop with the “Grier ain’t no good lol” red herrings. And no, I do not think this is evidence Burrow is going to be able to play. I think we had no idea they could lose Grier like this.

Bungles? Sheesh, this fan base is crazy. The BENGALS are in a rock and a hard place with burrow.

Sit him 2-4 weeks,, bengals season likely done.

Play him, aggravates injury, bengals season likely done.

It’s super unfortunate and I doubt will Grier makes any difference.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: So Grier's "strengths" are:

He started 2 games 4 years ago and was terrible at it

He was a 3rd round pick in 2019

He had a good Preseason game.

Hell, Ryan Finley was selected 4 picks after Grier, has more experience as a starter, was better at it, and has over 1 year's experience is Zac's program.

Why don't we want him? Because he's not very good, but he's been better than Grier

What is your point? That we don't need a QB3? That with Burrow injured and status uncertain, that the Bengals can go into the MNF game with just Browning? Because many of the points being made, including my own, is that it is a pretty big deal to lose one's QB3, four days before the MNF game, when QB1 is injured. Do you remember when the 49ers were down to their emergency QB?

If Burrow were not injured, then yes, losing QB3 is no big deal. We have time to bring someone in and get them up to speed. But as of this writing, there is no commitment to Burrow starting. 

The Bengals thought Grier was good enough that they signed him as the QB3. And they jettisoned Siemian, who had a lot of starting experience. The Patriots saw something in Grier.

I made the point also that the Bengals could use this as an opportunity to upgrade the position. Not do a lateral move, but actually strengthen the position of backup QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:58 AM)Nepa Wrote: What is your point? That we don't need a QB3? That with Burrow injured and status uncertain, that the Bengals can go into the MNF game with just Browning? Because many of the points being made, including my own, is that it is a pretty big deal to lose one's QB3, four days before the MNF game, when QB1 is injured. Do you remember when the 49ers were down to their emergency QB?

If Burrow were not injured, then yes, losing QB3 is no big deal. We have time to bring someone in and get them up to speed. But as of this writing, there is no commitment to Burrow starting. 

The Bengals thought Grier was good enough that they signed him as the QB3. And they jettisoned Siemian, who had a lot of starting experience. The Patriots saw something in Grier.

I made the point also that the Bengals could use this as an opportunity to upgrade the position. Not do a lateral move, but actually strengthen the position of backup QB.

Right if anything happens to Browning (if hes playing)   then we either have NO qb  or we have a guy that has had less than 4 days to learn the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 11:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right if anything happens to Browning (if hes playing)   then we either have NO qb  or we have a guy that has had less than 4 days to learn the playbook.

T. Boyd or J. Mixon can throw
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:58 AM)Nepa Wrote: What is your point? That we don't need a QB3? That with Burrow injured and status uncertain, that the Bengals can go into the MNF game with just Browning? Because many of the points being made, including my own, is that it is a pretty big deal to lose one's QB3, four days before the MNF game, when QB1 is injured. Do you remember when the 49ers were down to their emergency QB?

My point is those that are saying:

"Huge mistake"

"Typical Bungles"

are over-valuing Grier's football prowess or just looking for something to bash the team.

There are players on the street than are familiar with Zac's system that can be brought in; if JB's not ready to roll. But we'll have to cut someone from the 53 if we want to do it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 11:25 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: T. Boyd or J. Mixon can throw

a pass or 2 on a trick play... But asking them to run the offense isnt gonna happen
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 11:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My point is those that are saying:

"Huge mistake"

"Typical Bungles"

are over-valuing Grier's football prowess or just looking for something to bash the team.

I agree especially since Grier has only amounted to being a practice squad player in the NFL.

I suppose the worst case is no Burrow, Browning plays, and then Browning goes down. Tyler Boyd I assume takes the QB position and the team goes run heavy. This wouldn't be the "Bungles" but just an unfortunate season since Burrow is hurt. 
Reply/Quote
I think some people think Grier and other QB's are good based on what they did in College which in many cases dosen't translate to the pros. Worse case could we sign Trevor Siemian as a QB 2 if Joe can't go Monday ? He was bad in the preseason but at least he knows the playbook. I'd look at picking up Wentz ASAP after this week.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 11:57 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I think some people think Grier and other QB's are good based on what they did in College which in many cases dosen't translate to the pros. Worse case could we sign Trevor Siemian as a QB 2 if Joe can't go Monday ? He was bad in the preseason but at least he knows the playbook. I'd look at picking up Wentz ASAP after this week.

I think almost nobody thinks Grier is good. 

They just think he's an actual QB (regardless of skill level) who has been practicing playing QB in this offense. That inherently gives him an edge over an emergency QB who has been focusing on a different position but played QB in HS and hasn't been practicing or studying at QB, and now any new actual QB you add will get like 2 days to learn rather than a full week or weeks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:16 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: THey have a better record then us and would be 2-0 if Tomlin's Headhunting mentality didn't delete Chubb's knee.

Really? When is the last time the won the division?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 12:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think almost nobody thinks Grier is good. 

They just think he's an actual QB (regardless of skill level) who has been practicing playing QB in this offense. That inherently gives him an edge over an emergency QB who has been focusing on a different position but played QB in HS and hasn't been practicing or studying at QB, and now any new actual QB you add will get like 2 days to learn rather than a full week or weeks.

I think Joe is suiting up with Browning as the backup. Like I said worse cause maybe sign Siemian at least he knows the playbook to a certain degree if Joe can’t go. Then would look at signing Wentz or Foles after Monday so they can start learning the playbook.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:49 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Regardless of Grier’s outlook/ability/etc, the Bungles might be going into a MNF game with one healthy QB on the roster. Stop with the “Grier ain’t no good lol” red herrings. And no, I do not think this is evidence Burrow is going to be able to play. I think we had no idea they could lose Grier like this.

2 Question?

If the Bengals signed someone that "ain't no good" would you bring it up? 

Would it be a red herring if you did? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 09:06 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I live in CLE and they're just a bunch of drunks (the fans) who say they're going to the superbowl every single year.

Dang, sorry for you Reuben.  Hope the rent is at least cheap!
Reply/Quote
JOHNNY FOOTBALL!  Hilarious  Well, he IS a free agent..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 05:02 AM)Housh Wrote: It’s not about being thread creation police….

Why you gotta be a sick about it? Ok there are threads discussing the backup QB position. Who cares, this isn’t a real place.

Inform the guy and let the thread die naturally.

Ppl get off on being assholes here and it’s an ugly part of this message board the rears it’s ugly head.

Easy as this “Hey bro, we’ve already got threads on this, let’s try not to muddy up the board with repeat topics. Thanks for your support though and keep posting threads.”

Defaulting to being a dick is weird and no one will ever convince me it’s not because of how unnecessary it is.

One man's trash is another man's treasure, dawg.  Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 10:03 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Grier gone to the Patriots?  He'll likely emerge as a Superstar up there, and go on to win 7 titles over the next 20 years.  Ninja

Did you just channel your inner gramps?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 07:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Either Burrow is in better shape that we think, or our front office is being rather lax.

That is what I was thinking hearing this, I liked Grier, but it is what it is and Browning knows the system. Either Burrow is ready to go or 
the coaches have immense confidence in Browning which is a bit of a head scratcher from what we saw him do against backups. Grier is 
the better, more accurate QB and Belichick just shown why in grabbing him up from us. Very lax either way though IMO.

Still think we can beat the Rams with Browning if he plays well and we run the ball decent, but not liking the start to this season.

I didn't like the start to last year's season either though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2023, 11:56 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I agree especially since Grier has only amounted to being a practice squad player in the NFL.

I suppose the worst case is no Burrow, Browning plays, and then Browning goes down. Tyler Boyd I assume takes the QB position and the team goes run heavy. This wouldn't be the "Bungles" but just an unfortunate season since Burrow is hurt. 

We need to throw the term "Bungles" out of our dictionary as fans, it is embarrassing after us going to a SB and nearly beating the SB 
Champs last year in the AFC Championship. BTW CTB can also play QB....
Reply/Quote