Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gronk
With the way Uzomah seems to be in the locker room... dude seems a great team guy. I'd far rather see him come back than us sign Gronk. Guess we could have them both, but I'd give preference to Uzomah if money isn't an issue.

That said... again, you can see the effect Burrow is having on this franchise. No good FA, not just looking for retirement money, has spoken about coming here in the last 3 decades (maybe TO aside, but even then...). It's phenomenal seeing the effect Burrow is having on this organisation.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 05:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Incentive Laden Contract lets do it....

I dont know, he has stated many times that stats do not matter when it comes to winning championships and he will do whatever it takes so... incentives? Unless they are games/snaps played and team success maybe?  
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 05:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont know, he has stated many times that stats do not matter when it comes to winning championships and he will do whatever it takes so... incentives? Unless they are games/snaps played and team success maybe?  

% of snaps played stuff like that...  No you have to hit XX receptions XX TDs XX yards etc.... 

For Gronk i just need available and playing
Reply/Quote
Burrow and Gronk would go together like peanut butter and jelly.Gronk has been with Tom Brady a long time.He knows Burrow simulates Tom Brady more than any Quarterback in the league.

Gronk is smart enough to know,that with an upgraded OL this offseason,and adding him to the mix of Joe Burrows offensive weapons,the Bengals will be back in the Super Bowl next year with almost absolute certainty.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's kind of always been the problem with adding too many weapons. Someone's going to suffer.
Boyd's production has dropped the past two years as Higgins and now Chase have been added.
I realize it's about team production not individual, but it can frustrate some players.

I think we either stay the course with Uzomah or replace with either Gronk or even OJ Howard.

If not Gronk, I would take Mike Gesicki, Dalton Schultz, Evan Engram, or Zach Ertz.

If you can't get one of those 5, I would probably just roll with re-signing Uzomah. Not sure anyone else would be enough of an upgrade to offset the continuity and locker room aspect of Uzomah.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If not Gronk, I would take Mike Gesicki, Dalton Schultz, Evan Engram, or Zach Ertz.

If you can't get one of those 5, I would probably just roll with re-signing Uzomah. Not sure anyone else would be enough of an upgrade to offset the continuity and locker room aspect of Uzomah.

Also some good options.

Dalton Schultz is probably the closest to Uzomah from a skillset standpoint.
He also had the challenge of having a bunch of other weapons around him, but he's good as a 3rd or 4th option.
He got more opportunities than Uzomah got because the Bengals WRs stayed healthy nearly all year whereas the Cowboys WRs didn't.

With Ertz, you're dealing with a TE who is 31 years old, just a year younger than Gronk.
Probably fine though if you're pushing your championship window.

I'd like to see Gesicki added, but he'd have to potentially be willing to see less production than he had at MIA.

I've cooled on Engram. He's not been as productive as a pass catcher recently like he was as a rookie, plus he's also not much of a blocker.

I still personally really like OJ Howard. He's about to enter his prime years (JUST turned 27 in Nov), he's a good blocker, and he's shown he can be a dynamic receiving TE if given opportunity. Runs a 4.51 at 250 lbs. He's had to compete against Brate and then also Gronk in TB.
He could be a perfect fit, and also could end up being one of the cheaper TEs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 07:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also some good options.

Dalton Schultz is probably the closest to Uzomah from a skillset standpoint.
He also had the challenge of having a bunch of other weapons around him, but he's good as a 3rd or 4th option.
He got more opportunities than Uzomah got because the Bengals WRs stayed healthy nearly all year whereas the Cowboys WRs didn't.

With Ertz, you're dealing with a TE who is 31 years old, just a year younger than Gronk.
Probably fine though if you're pushing your championship window.

I'd like to see Gesicki added, but he'd have to potentially be willing to see less production than he had at MIA.

I've cooled on Engram. He's not been as productive as a pass catcher recently like he was as a rookie, plus he's also not much of a blocker.

I still personally really like OJ Howard. He's about to enter his prime years (JUST turned 27 in Nov), he's a good blocker, and he's shown he can be a dynamic receiving TE if given opportunity. Runs a 4.51 at 250 lbs. He's had to compete against Brate and then also Gronk in TB.
He could be a perfect fit, and also could end up being one of the cheaper TEs.

Yeah, I have no problem with Gronk or Ertz because getting back to the SB in 2022 should be the goal.

I think Engram is a huge buy-low bounceback candidate. He had to catch passes from Daniel Jones, Mike Glennon, and Jake Fromm in 2021 (15 combined passing TDs). The #1 receiver for the Giants this year had 521 yards. In 2020, he had to catch passes from Daniel Jones and Colt McCoy (12 combined passing TDs), and Darius Slayton and Sterling Shepard were the #1 and #2 WRs.

Howard might be a good add. I think he got shafted a bit by the Bucs adding Gronk and Brown. Evans, Godwin, Gronk, Brown... not much production left to divvy up after those 4.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 05:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Just going to leave this here...

[Image: 6194006ea2e68800198a8453?width=700&forma...&auto=webp]

Wild, forgot that he was on that show and was a Tiger! Crazy! Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If not Gronk, I would take Mike Gesicki, Dalton Schultz, Evan Engram, or Zach Ertz.

I dont think Mike Gesicki would be an option for us.  He doesnt truly play TE anymore and would be a way over paid #4 WR. The others are all interesting pieces that could work.  CJ loves being here and we have gotten more out of him than expected, hopefully he returns with a friendly contract.  However, an upgrade at that spot could be a huge impact.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 08:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont think Mike Gesicki would be an option for us.  He doesnt truly play TE anymore and would be a way over paid #4 WR. The others are all interesting pieces that could work.  CJ loves being here and we have gotten more out of him than expected, hopefully he returns with a friendly contract.  However, an upgrade at that spot could be a huge impact.

Not exactly true.
Per PFF, he had 234 run blocking snaps (although I don't know how many of those were inline vs further out).
He did only have 11 snaps as a pass blocker, so if that's what you meant, I agree.
But to be fair, he was never really much of a blocker even coming into the league. He's always been mostly a pass catcher.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sounds nice but I rather pay a Oline man than a 34 to 35 Good TE... we need blind more than a te
Reply/Quote
Gronk is 32.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 11:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not exactly true.
Per PFF, he had 234 run blocking snaps (although I don't know how many of those were inline vs further out).
He did only have 11 snaps as a pass blocker, so if that's what you meant, I agree.
But to be fair, he was never really much of a blocker even coming into the league. He's always been mostly a pass catcher.

I would suggest we need our TE to be pretty good at both, and if one skill were to be lacking it probably shouldn't be blocking...

According to his recent ramblings in Miami which I had heard and found this; stated the following:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]

"that he should be considered a wide receiver for franchise tag purposes and not a tight end. Gesicki has played 94% of his snaps lined up in the slot or out wide as a receiver and is rarely ever in-line as a tight end"

[/color]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 11:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sounds nice but I rather pay a Oline man than a 34 to 35 Good TE... we need blind more than a te

I keep seeing this, but who believes if we signed Gronk we would be prevented from signing 1 hopefully 2 good FA olinemen?

Also he isnt that old in fact he is the same age as Kelce, considered the best TE in the league...

As a fan I would be super elated to acquire Gronk at good price and healthy.   But as long as we address C, RG, and RT via FA (2 min) and the draft (2 min), I'll be satisfied.
Reply/Quote
If I'm CJ I'm all "Man, that'd be great to have Gronk as a #2 TE. "
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I’d rather keep Uzomah than bring in Gronkowski. Unless he wants to sign a deal for a very low dollar amount to be a backup, I wouldn’t give it much thought.

The comments that he made though, about wanting to play with Joey Brrr, are a breath of fresh air. It’ll be great to see established players try to chase a ring by coming here to play.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hasn't Gronk been hurt a lot over the last few years? If he wants to play one more year, and is willing to sign for not a great deal of money, I would welcome him here in a limited role. But we're rolling with CJ as our #1.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hasn't Gronk been hurt a lot over the last few years? If he wants to play one more year, and is willing to sign for not a great deal of money, I would welcome him here in a limited role. But we're rolling with CJ as our #1.

He's been hurt throughout most of his career. If we signed him, we'd have to anticipate not getting a full 17 games out of him. His rookie year he played 16 games and started 11 of them. In 2011 he played 16/16 games and he did it again in 2020. Other than those seasons, he's never played a full season of ball.
Reply/Quote
He put up 800 yds and 6 TD’s in 12 games this season. Even if you go in expecting him to miss at least a handful of games that’s still great production.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 10:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He put up 800 yds and 6 TD’s in 12 games this season. Even if you go in expecting him to miss at least a handful of games that’s still great production.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I agree, it's why you sign him if the price is right. It would be wonderful to have both CJ & Gronk as options for the offense.
Reply/Quote